Training week ending Dec 26 2010

Old December 28th 10, 05:33 PM posted to rec.running
Tony S.[_3_]

Default Training week ending Dec 26 2010

"Michelle" wrote in message
In article
,
John Hurley wrote:

Greetings wreck runners! Please tell us about your training week and
goals.

Ever since I got back from Vegas, a week after the HM, my running has
gone
to pot. On a good day, I can run three miles, but on a bad day, I can
barely get through two miles.

This past week, I ran without the garmin GPS, thinking, upon advice
from
others, that it would help not knowing what my pace or time was, even
after
finishing. It didn't help.

There's no way that I'll ever be able to be ready for the PF Chang RnR
HM
which is three weeks from today, so I'm going to DNS that race. I
thought
that if I could run six miles today, I'd still have a chance, but I
barely
made three miles.

I don't know whether I'll ever race again; I'm not counting it out,
but I'm
not making any plans. (Well, not quite true; I still may run the
three-mile Midnight Madness Friday night and the Gay Pride 5K in
April.)

That said, I'm not going to stop running; I plan to run three miles
every
other day until I can do it comfortably and consistently. Once I can
do
that, I'll consider adding distance to my runs.

I do not know why I've fallen apart like this, but have to face the
reality
that I have.

-- Michelle

Don't worry about it, but you may be making a mistake by continuing to
run right now. If you're really tired of running -- or if your body is
very tired of running, just stop for a few weeks, then start up again
with a fresh attitude. Every few years I've been through dry spells when
I trained too hard for too long and just lost my desire to run. It
usually comes back pretty quickly, but only if you actually stop for a
couple of days or longer if you need the physical or mental rest. You
shouldn't run unless you want to. Of course that's different from making
yourself go out on the odd day when you don't feel like it. A pattern is
different. Most of your runs should be at least somewhat enjoyable.

-Tony

Old December 28th 10, 06:25 PM posted to rec.running
Michelle

In article ,
"Tony S." wrote:

I do not know why I've fallen apart like this, but have to face the
reality that I have.

-- Michelle

Don't worry about it, but you may be making a mistake by continuing to
run right now. If you're really tired of running -- or if your body is
very tired of running, just stop for a few weeks, then start up again
with a fresh attitude.

Thing is that I enjoy running; I enjoy it right up to the moment that I
have to stop and walk. I don't enjoy walking, but when I get rested a bit
by walking, I start running again, and enjoy it.

--
Tea Party Patriots is to Patriotism as
Old December 28th 10, 06:31 PM posted to rec.running
Tony S.[_3_]

"Michelle" wrote in message
In article ,
"Tony S." wrote:

I do not know why I've fallen apart like this, but have to face the
reality that I have.

-- Michelle

Don't worry about it, but you may be making a mistake by continuing
run right now. If you're really tired of running -- or if your body
is
very tired of running, just stop for a few weeks, then start up again
with a fresh attitude.

Thing is that I enjoy running; I enjoy it right up to the moment that
have to stop and walk. I don't enjoy walking, but when I get rested a
bit
by walking, I start running again, and enjoy it.

--

But what stops you? pain in your legs? loss of power? You're normally
not at a loss for words, but there's something missing when you say

-Tony

Old December 28th 10, 07:15 PM posted to rec.running
Paul Rudin[_2_]

Michelle writes:

In article ,
"Tony S." wrote:

I do not know why I've fallen apart like this, but have to face the
reality that I have.

-- Michelle

Don't worry about it, but you may be making a mistake by continuing to
run right now. If you're really tired of running -- or if your body is
very tired of running, just stop for a few weeks, then start up again
with a fresh attitude.

Thing is that I enjoy running; I enjoy it right up to the moment that I
have to stop and walk. I don't enjoy walking, but when I get rested a bit
by walking, I start running again, and enjoy it.

Perhaps you didn't take it easy enough after the last HM? Sometimes
you really do need to take some time off after a big race. Usually a few
days is enough, but it depends on the person. I think it's always a good
idea to have some backup cross-training that you enjoy. If I don't feel
like running I get on a bike instead, or just go to the gym and do some
weights and an easy swim.

The other thing is to mix up the kind of running you do. Do something
different... hills, trails, treadmills, track workout, whatever - just
something unusual for you.
Old December 28th 10, 08:19 PM posted to rec.running
Michelle

In article ,
Paul Rudin wrote:

Perhaps you didn't take it easy enough after the last HM? Sometimes you
really do need to take some time off after a big race.

Well, I didn't run at all for a week after the HM, and then ran only two
miles exactly one week later.

One possibility that I will be exploring this week is that back in
November, we cut my diabetes medication from twice a day to once a day, and
I've been taking it in the evenings. I'm going to start taking it in the
mornings, and see whether that makes a difference.

--
Tea Party Patriots is to Patriotism as
Old December 28th 10, 08:28 PM posted to rec.running
Michelle

In article ,
"Tony S." wrote:

But what stops you? pain in your legs? loss of power? You're normally
not at a loss for words, but there's something missing when you say
"have to stop to walk". You feel nothing but your legs won't move? You
feel sluggish when running until it's too hard, but you still enjoy
running?

I start feeling sluggish and my legs get heavy; I feel it in mostly in the
lower quads.

I did three miles today, and had to stop to walk three times; I didn't wear
the Garmin (haven't worn it for over a week now), but I doubt that I walked
as much as a tenth of a mile all told. The first time I had to stop to
walk was somewhere between a mile and a half and two and a quarter miles
into the run. (Those points are road intersections where I turn. I know
where the quarter mile, half mile, .99 mile, 1 1/2 mile, 2 1/4 mile, 2 1/2
mile and 2 3/4 mile points are on that route. They're all intersections.)

--
Tea Party Patriots is to Patriotism as