Training Week Ending 22 May 2011

Old May 22nd 11, 01:53 PM posted to misc.fitness.weights
Steve Freides[_2_]

Default Training Week Ending 22 May 2011

How'd it go for you this past week? Let us know - we need more people
to contribute to these weekly threads!

-S-
http://www.kbnj.com

Old May 22nd 11, 02:05 PM posted to misc.fitness.weights
Steve Freides[_2_]

Highlights - finished 2-week grind cycle on Thu, started 2-week
ballistic cycle in new format on Sat (lots on new plan below)

Tue: 20/20: c&p heavy day, (1-2-3-4) x 5, a few standing wheels on rd &
4th step

Thu: 20/20: c&p medium day, 5 x (1-2-3) did mostly (3-3) instead (a
little harder), skipped the extra cleans sometimes, and ended with a set
of see-saw presses - I did 11 each side in the see-saw, a really easy
variation for me.

Sat: warmed up w/ qigong on the front porch, got 3 alternating crane
pistols each side - these are getting easier

Today - new cycle, doing 20:00 of one-armed kb snatches, goal is 200
reps in 20:00 (in the form of 5+5 on the minute), then work the time
down to 10:00 (5+5 on the :30 or 10+10 on the minute). The Plan: will
snatch easy Sat and heavy Tue, and do medium intensity swings on Thu =
3x/week snatch would be too much long term for us.

Thus today I did 24: snatch - 2+2 on the minute (alternated which hand
went first) for 14:00, switched to 3+3 for the last 6 min, total 92
snatches, form improved as I worked on it throughout the w/o, a good
start. Having trained one-arm snatches in a long time, felt good to do
this way. Afterwards, was very hungry the rest of the day, ate a bunch,
and woke up lighter the next day - all good.

-S-
http://www.kbnj.com

Old May 23rd 11, 03:28 AM posted to misc.fitness.weights
Jim Janney[_2_]

"Steve Freides" writes:

How'd it go for you this past week? Let us know - we need more people
to contribute to these weekly threads!

Tuesday
windmills 16kg alternating singles 5 each side
ballet class 90 minutes
swings 20kg 140 in 7 minutes

Wednesday
c&p 20kg 2 x (1+2), 3 x 1 each side
double front squats 16kg + 20kg 4 x 5

Saturday
ballet class 90 minutes
swings 20kg 100 in 5 minutes

Sunday
tgu 20kg a.s. 5 each side

Somewhere this week I crossed the line into doing too much: instead of
recovering quickly I just stay sore and stiff until the next time.
Taking Thursday off didn't help. Next week I'll probably stop
training completely and just recover, maybe do a bit of hiking if the
rain will ever stop.

--
Jim Janney
Old May 23rd 11, 08:32 PM posted to misc.fitness.weights
Jason Earl[_2_]

On Sun, May 22 2011, Jim Janney wrote:

"Steve Freides" writes:

How'd it go for you this past week? Let us know - we need more people
to contribute to these weekly threads!

Tuesday
windmills 16kg alternating singles 5 each side
ballet class 90 minutes
swings 20kg 140 in 7 minutes

Wednesday
c&p 20kg 2 x (1+2), 3 x 1 each side
double front squats 16kg + 20kg 4 x 5

Saturday
ballet class 90 minutes
swings 20kg 100 in 5 minutes

Sunday
tgu 20kg a.s. 5 each side

Somewhere this week I crossed the line into doing too much: instead of
recovering quickly I just stay sore and stiff until the next time.
Taking Thursday off didn't help. Next week I'll probably stop
training completely and just recover, maybe do a bit of hiking if the
rain will ever stop.

The weather has been nice in stretches, but you are certainly right,
mostly it just rains.

Jason
Old May 23rd 11, 08:39 PM posted to misc.fitness.weights
Jason Earl[_2_]

* DONE Bench Press/Pull up 2011-05-16 Mon
|-----+-------------+-----+-----+-------|
| Set | Exercise | Wgt | Rep | Total |
|-----+-------------+-----+-----+-------|
| 1 | Bench Press | 200 | 4 | 800 |
| | Pull up | 214 | 3 | 642 |
| 2 | Bench Press | 180 | 5 | 900 |
| | Chin up | 214 | 2 | 428 |
| 3 | Bench Press | 165 | 5 | 825 |
| | Pull up | 214 | 2 | 428 |
| 4 | Bench Press | 165 | 8 | 1320 |
| | Chin up | 214 | 3 | 642 |
|-----+-------------+-----+-----+-------|
| | Total | | | 5985 |
|-----+-------------+-----+-----+-------|
#+TBLFM: $5=$3*$4::@10$5=vsum(@[email protected])
** Notes
I tried for 5 at 200 in the bench press, but did not make it.
Other than that I had to work pretty hard just to match Friday.
We'll see how Wednesday goes.

* DONE Run 2011-05-17 Tue
4.006 miles in 49:34
** Notes
I ran 3 12 minute miles before having to slow down. That was my
best run of the cycle. It was still not a particularly good run,
but progress was made.

* DONE Bench Press/Pull up 2011-05-18 Wed
CLOCK: [2011-05-18 Wed 09:10]--[2011-05-18 Wed 09:27] = 0:17
|-----+-------------+-----+-----+-------|
| Set | Exercise | Wgt | Rep | Total |
|-----+-------------+-----+-----+-------|
| 1 | Bench Press | 200 | 4 | 800 |
| | Pull up | 212 | 3 | 636 |
| 2 | Bench Press | 180 | 5 | 900 |
| | Chin up | 212 | 2 | 424 |
| 3 | Bench Press | 165 | 5 | 825 |
| | Pull up | 212 | 3 | 636 |
| 4 | Bench Press | 165 | 9 | 1485 |
| | Chin up | 212 | 3 | 636 |
|-----+-------------+-----+-----+-------|
| | Total | | | 6342 |
|-----+-------------+-----+-----+-------|
#+TBLFM: $5=$3*$4::@10$5=vsum(@[email protected])
** Notes
I finally made a bit of progress on the pull/chin ups. I still can
not do 200 for 5.

* DONE Run 2011-05-19 Thu
4.002 miles in 49:28
** Notes
Almost precisely the same workout as Tuesday. Once again I ran 3
12 minute miles, then walked for a bit, then finished up. I need a
new drive belt for the treadmill. It starts to skip if I run
faster than 5mph.

I suppose that my other alternative is to see if losing a bit more
weight helps.

* DONE Bench Press/Pull up 2011-05-20 Fri
CLOCK: [2011-05-20 Fri 09:09]--[2011-05-20 Fri 09:25] = 0:16
|-----+-------------+-----+-----+-------|
| Set | Exercise | Wgt | Rep | Total |
|-----+-------------+-----+-----+-------|
| 1 | Bench Press | 200 | 4 | 800 |
| | Pull up | 212 | 3 | 636 |
| 2 | Bench Press | 180 | 5 | 900 |
| | Chin up | 212 | 3 | 636 |
| 3 | Bench Press | 165 | 5 | 825 |
| | Pull up | 212 | 3 | 636 |
| 4 | Bench Press | 165 | 10 | 1650 |
| | Chin up | 212 | 3 | 636 |
|-----+-------------+-----+-----+-------|
| | Total | | | 6719 |
|-----+-------------+-----+-----+-------|
#+TBLFM: $5=$3*$4::@10$5=vsum(@[email protected])
** Notes
I almost got 5 at 200 in the bench press. I stalled at my sticking
point (about half way up) and tried to grind through for what
seemed like a full minute (it probably was not even close). I felt
good today, and I am surprised I did not get 5 easily. My
pull/chin ups are looking up though, and I still feel like I am
making progress. I will get 200 x 5 next week for sure.

* DONE Run 2011-05-21 Sat
6.215 miles in 82:17
** Notes
A nice easy run to set a benchmark. Interestingly enough the week
before the 10K last year I ran this same run in 97:14. I had not
realized how crappy a runner I really was.
Old May 24th 11, 12:15 AM posted to misc.fitness.weights
Steve Freides[_2_]

Jason Earl wrote:
On Sun, May 22 2011, Steve Freides wrote:

Today - new cycle, doing 20:00 of one-armed kb snatches, goal is 200
reps in 20:00 (in the form of 5+5 on the minute), then work the time
down to 10:00 (5+5 on the :30 or 10+10 on the minute). The Plan:
will snatch easy Sat and heavy Tue, and do medium intensity swings
on Thu = 3x/week snatch would be too much long term for us.

Thus today I did 24: snatch - 2+2 on the minute (alternated which
hand went first) for 14:00, switched to 3+3 for the last 6 min,
total 92 snatches, form improved as I worked on it throughout the
w/o, a good start. Having trained one-arm snatches in a long time,
felt good to
do this way. Afterwards, was very hungry the rest of the day, ate a
bunch, and woke up lighter the next day - all good.

5+5 on the minute for 20 minutes is something that I would really like
to be able to do. Every time I have actually tried it, however, it
has gone badly. Maybe I will have to try again in July.

Jason

5+5 on the minute for 20 minutes is something I first did a long time
ago, probably close to 10 years by now. I think it's perfectly doable
if you sneak up on it. My 2+2 on the minute for 20:00 is a fine, sneaky
beginning. The last time I did this, I did 5+5 on the minute for 5
minutes and then kept trying to stretch it out, typically doing things
like 5+5 for 5:00 then 3's or 4's for another minute or two, then repeat
at the next workout but try to get them all to be 5's, and so on, again
sneaking up, this time on the 20:00 total.

The whole idea of going hard only sometimes is great, if for no other
reason than learning to restrain your effort - it's a step in the
direction of being able to precisely dial in the effort you need for a
given task. Even if you're wildly wrong, the act of trying to do a 50%
of max reps workout with a given weight and time set is a good exercise
to go through.

I'm going to try 3's or 4's tomorrow, which is supposed to be my hard
day - probably 3's to start and then switch to 4's if it feels OK. The
toughest thing is keeping excellent form throughout - tough always, but
doable when you're only doing a handful of reps each side then resting.

-S-
http://www.kbnj.com

Old May 24th 11, 12:16 AM posted to misc.fitness.weights
Steve Freides[_2_]

Jason Earl wrote:

I almost got 5 at 200 in the bench press. I stalled at my sticking
point (about half way up) and tried to grind through for what
seemed like a full minute (it probably was not even close). I felt
good today, and I am surprised I did not get 5 easily. My
pull/chin ups are looking up though, and I still feel like I am
making progress. I will get 200 x 5 next week for sure.

I've been off of bench presses lately - will have to see if I can work
them back into my programming. Life has been really hectic, and so I've
been training 3x/week and doing almost nothing else except walking and a
bit of qigong on the off days. If things slow down a bit as they should
in a few weeks, then I'll try to bench easy on my off days.

-S-
http://www.kbnj.com

Old May 24th 11, 08:04 PM posted to misc.fitness.weights
Jason Earl[_2_]

On Mon, May 23 2011, Steve Freides wrote:

Jason Earl wrote:
[...]

Looking back over my notes. I have tried to do 5+5 on the minute for 20
minutes before, but never the way that you do here. Instead of starting
at 2+2 and moving up I would do 5+5 for as many minutes as possible, and
crash and burn. So this basically turned into a crazy hard workout that
I scheduled 3 times a week.

Now that I have a bit more experience I can see why that is not a
particularly good idea.

I am confident I can do 80 snatches in 20 minutes at 24kg. In fact, I
am confident that I could do 80 snatches in 5 minutes on any given day
(as could you, I am sure). Seeing your workout has caused me to gain a
bit of enlightenment. Pushing hard is not necessarily the right answer.

The whole idea of going hard only sometimes is great, if for no other
reason than learning to restrain your effort - it's a step in the
direction of being able to precisely dial in the effort you need for a
given task. Even if you're wildly wrong, the act of trying to do a
50% of max reps workout with a given weight and time set is a good
exercise to go through.

Not too mention the fact that it allows you to make progress without
redlining three times a week.

I'm going to try 3's or 4's tomorrow, which is supposed to be my hard
day - probably 3's to start and then switch to 4's if it feels OK.
The toughest thing is keeping excellent form throughout - tough
always, but doable when you're only doing a handful of reps each side
then resting.

My experience shows that I have a maximum number of snatches I can do.
Once I get near 100 things become dicey. This format looks like a good
way to increase the overall volume by giving myself a little more time.

Jason
Old May 24th 11, 08:44 PM posted to misc.fitness.weights
Jason Earl[_2_]

Jason Earl wrote:

I almost got 5 at 200 in the bench press. I stalled at my sticking
point (about half way up) and tried to grind through for what
seemed like a full minute (it probably was not even close). I felt
good today, and I am surprised I did not get 5 easily. My
pull/chin ups are looking up though, and I still feel like I am
making progress. I will get 200 x 5 next week for sure.

I've been off of bench presses lately - will have to see if I can work
them back into my programming. Life has been really hectic, and so
I've been training 3x/week and doing almost nothing else except
walking and a bit of qigong on the off days. If things slow down a
bit as they should in a few weeks, then I'll try to bench easy on my
off days.

I'd like to say that I continue to bench press because I wanted to be
able to bench press my body weight 15 times before you could, and the
reality is that probably is a factor.

Mostly, however, I wanted something quick and easy that I could do on my
days when I wasn't running. I didn't really want to work my lower body
very hard (I am doing a few pistols daily). Bench presses and pull/chin
ups fit the bill pretty well, and they allow me to address some
weaknesses.

I feel things are working pretty well. I look forward to my weight
training, and I am making a bit of progress. I am even starting to
think that it was high time I did a little "beach muscle" work.

Jason
Old May 24th 11, 11:15 PM posted to misc.fitness.weights
Steve Freides[_2_]

Jason Earl wrote:
[...]

You will see this in my training log next weekend, but today was heavy
day, buuut I was short on time, so I did 4+4 for 8 minutes then a set of
8+8 and called it a day. Total workout time was 8 minutes and 47
seconds, and I did the same 80 snatches fairly easily - it's another
variable to tweak, the time it takes to do the same volume.

One very important thing to realize - on most programs, weekly training
volume, more than just about anything else, will determine your
progress. You have to find a way to get the volume in without burning
yourself out. I think 100 reps only tires you because you do them too
quickly. The "on the minute" format is great - even doing 4+4 today, I
still had more rest than work time, and I don't think getting to 5+5 in
20:00 is going to be that far off.

-S-
http://www.kbnj.com