Another fear-mongering article on supplementation....

Old October 11th 11, 09:29 PM posted to misc.fitness.weights,rec.running
Existential Angst[_2_]

Default Another fear-mongering article on supplementation....

"Existential Angst" wrote in message
"MU" wrote in message
On Tue, 11 Oct 2011 06:44:55 -0400, Doug Freese wrote:

I'll just say I'm leery of the large studies be it the Iowa female or
the
Bedsty nympho. There is so much stuff going on in those studies that
determine if Massingill Rose hips or vinegar flavor makes things smell
better is mathematically bizarre much less believable. Roll stuff across
some thousands of people and drawing some conclusion about a single
change
or two, well, the check is in the mail. There are too few controls.

And no one on these newsgroups who have one iota of qualification to
assess them.

Well, actually, dats not quite true. Those that do have the quals just
don't wear them on their sleeves, such as an asshole like, well,
YOU/Courtney Brown would.... Or Andrew Chung....

But the little known fact is, most researchers *in that particular field*
would be hard-pressed to assess the research of others, and that assumes
*total honesty and transparency* of the study at hand. You basically have
to take the researchers' word for virtually *everything*, including the
data.

In many cases, the best you can do is catch them in "fundamental-type"
errors (such as mis-representation of the current knowledge base,
incorrect structures/mathematical formalisms, etc), internal
inconsistencies, etc.

But if they haven't made any of those type errors, the study can be
absolute bull**** and you would never know.
Thus, with the least amount of academic disingenuousness (and that's being
polite), studies are VERY difficult to assess.

This is true even in pure mathematics, where I've read accounts of the
near-impossibility of valid peer review even in THAT "unfettered" field.
What an eye-opener DAT was....

In gradurate school, a required course is "literature review", where you
study, for a whole goddamm semester, just HOW to ferret out ALL the
details in a research article. Individuals are assigned an article, or
even groups of 2 or 3 are assigned an article, generally a "classic" or
seminal/highly cited paper, and do a full presentation on it.
You are then subjected to basically a class inquisition, incl the class
puhfessuh, of how well YOU understood the article, bearing in mind that
the whole class is required to read and dissect the article you are
presenting.

You cannot IMAGINE the amount of work this takes. What a fukn
nightmare.....

So indeed, one could arger that almost NO ONE can fully assess these
articles, esp. when they are *fundamentally* bull****.

Think Cold Fusion, which even after the initial hub-bub, labs around the
country were """replicating""" their bull**** results.... WTF????

I may have posted this already, but it's always a gas, and very
instructive, to re-link it. Consider a well-known case in pure physics:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bogdanov_Affair for a general overview

http://math.ucr.edu/home/baez/bogdanoff/ for a more critical analysis,
where not only do you learn that the Bogdanov Bros can't grok the
classical physics of the Foucalt pendulum/coriolis force, apparently a lot
of their PhD colleague supporters don't grok these elementary classical
physics concepts either!!
YET, they pontificate on String Theory, Unification Theory, and
BigBangBull****, ad nauseum.

Finally, how Assaholicness knows no bounds:
http://www.celebrityplasticsurgery.t...anoff-brothers

Again, this is *pure physics*, not some messy epidemiological/statistical
crappola.

So yeah, MU, it IS hard to assess these articles, which is why we are in
our current point'n'click oblivion, with many unlikely to be able to
collect their pensions.

Le Pubic is in deep ****.

Oh, oh, I fergot the punchline.....

In that class, no one really understood the papers they
studied/presented.... not even the puhfessuh...... fuknHilarious!!!!
Basically what we learned was how to bull -- and bull**** -- our way through
difficult material.

Because the system knows that you don't need a lot of people really
understanding ****, in fact, dats proly a bad idea.
You just need a few bright eggs to lead the charge, and those eggs are often
so bright they don't even need the classwork.
So it's mostly a dog'n'pony show.

Which is why unemployment -- ie, the lack of REAL employment -- is going to
skyrocket way beyond what it is now.
It is the consequence of the very design of technology, of the New World
Order.
Buy yer guns now, have plenty of ammo.....
--
EA

--
EA

Old October 11th 11, 11:25 PM posted to misc.fitness.weights,rec.running
Doug Freese

"Existential Angst" wrote in message
#Oh, btw, my stalker is still stalking me, and altho you quoted my legit
posts correctly, you actually posted/replied to his silliness. No biggie,
just realize this is what happens when someone is breastfed into their late
twenties....##

I don't usually reply to anything cross posted but I took a shot. There are
times one does need a scorecard.

-Doug