New member questions

Old March 5th 04, 09:04 AM
Jeff Harris

Default New member questions

Hi, I just started reading this group tonight and hope to continue reading
and get some good information. First, is there a FAQ for this newsgroup?

Before I ask my question I guess I'll give my background. About this time
last year I was 6'5" 256lbs. In the last year I've shed 34 of those lbs
mostly by being sensible with the quantities and type of food I'd eat and
completely cutting out soda (not for the entire time, but for portions of
time, currently 34 days and counting). I'd also go on spells of riding the
stationary bike. My goal is to get down to around 205lbs or so.

I decided I want to start lifting weights and bought 'Weight Training
Workouts that Work' and will start that 12 week routine on Monday. I'm just
wondering if just maintaining my reasonable eating habits is good enough or
if I should 'buckle down' and do more. I almost bought 'Body for Life' but
was turned off by the blatant advertisement of their 'shakes'. While
perusing the book I did noticed he stressed the nutrition quite a bit.

I should also mention that I'd really like to gain some muscle mass (even if
that means I don't get down to 205).

Thanks for any input you might have,

Jeff

Old March 5th 04, 09:33 AM
Russ

Jeff Harris wrote:

Hi, I just started reading this group tonight and hope to continue reading
and get some good information. First, is there a FAQ for this newsgroup?

http://www.trygve.com/mfw_faq.html

welcome, and good luck.

Russ.

Old March 5th 04, 02:47 PM
Wayne S. Hill

Jeff Harris wrote:

[...]

You've made great progress. Congrats.

As a newbie weight trainer, you'll be able to gain some muscle
mass as you lose weight, but this will pass so don't get used
to it. You should make sure you get a good amount of protein
in your diet, e.g., 150 or so grams/day, but otherwise just
eat good food.

--
-Wayne

Old March 5th 04, 04:05 PM
srw

Firstly - congratulations!

Secondly:

As a newbie weight trainer, you'll be able to gain some muscle
mass as you lose weight, but this will pass so don't get used
to it. You should make sure you get a good amount of protein
in your diet, e.g., 150 or so grams/day, but otherwise just
eat good food.

Why does this muscle building stop? How do you start it again?

rgds

srw

Old March 6th 04, 03:59 AM
John Hanson

On Fri, 5 Mar 2004 01:04:37 -0700, "Jeff Harris"
[email protected](dot)com wrote in
misc.fitness.weights:

Thanks for any input you might have,

Jeff, just a friendly reminder. We haven't received your membership
dues and initiation fees yet. Could you take care of this next week,
please?

Questions about strength training N. Heston Weights 3 November 15th 03 01:14 PM
Unresolved questions... Any answers? Jo General 1 October 19th 03 07:43 PM
Beginner's questions ammar Weights 25 October 10th 03 02:32 AM
Critize/Comment on Nutrition/Routine AND lots of other questions James Weights 1 August 25th 03 01:48 AM
Body For Life Questions Johnathan General 0 July 2nd 03 04:04 PM