Training week ending Dec 18 2011

Old December 18th 11, 10:29 PM posted to rec.running
Parker Race[_3_]

Default Training week ending Dec 18 2011

"John Hurley" wrote in message

Greetings wreck runners! Please tell us about your training week and
goals.

M - off
T - 35 minutes elliptical trainer
W - 25 miles bike
Th - Weights - core
F - off
Sa - 1:08 run
Sun - 1:06 run trails

Only two runs this week, busy again with my Mother with appointments and
bringing my son home from College.
Today was the first time I've run on consecutive days in a row since last
April, the knee feels fine.
I guess I'm being very conservative, I was talking to 2 of the women in our
group today.
One pretty much has no meniscus left in her knee and the other says she has
a piece of cartilage floating around in her knee and they both are running
much more than me.
Maybe I'm being a little too conservative but I asked another person I saw
on Saturday how his knee was and his response was "****ty!"
He had partial knee replacement surgery. I don’t want to be him.

Old December 19th 11, 01:19 PM posted to rec.running
Parker Race[_3_]

"pithydoug" wrote in message

On Dec 18, 4:29 pm, "Parker Race" wrote:
"John Hurley" wrote in message

I guess I'm being very conservative, I was talking to 2 of the women in
our
group today.
One pretty much has no meniscus left in her knee and the other says she
has
a piece of cartilage floating around in her knee and they both are running
much more than me.

I don't remember, not an uncommon refrain from me, but have you had an
X-ray and/or MRI to attempt to identify the issue(s) or are you
assuming it's muscle/tendon and hoping it will naturally heal?

I had both, MRI showed fraying on the outside of the lateral meniscus and a
tear in the medial.
Neither were stitched up, they were "reconfigured" (pieces removed where the
tears were).
The piece of articular cartilage missing, from my stumble at the HAT run was
found during surgery and microfracture surgery was performed to repair that.

Maybe I'm being a little too conservative but I asked another person I saw
on Saturday how his knee was and his response was "****ty!"
He had partial knee replacement surgery. I don’t want to be him.

The worst part of being too conservative is being slower to get back
into shape. OTOH, trying to come back too fast can have some very
frustration reactions.

I'm not worried about getting back in running shape as much as I am risking
osteoarthritis in the knee from running too much.
-D

PR