komperdell walking poles

Old December 29th 03, 09:47 PM
Martin Giles

Default komperdell walking poles

Hi

http://www.wildday.co.uk/walking-pol...king-poles.htm

Hope This Helps

Martin

"therebel" wrote in message
hi I am looking for a supplier for komperdell walking poles

Old December 30th 03, 09:34 PM
therebel

hi I am looking for a supplier for komperdell walking poles

Old January 4th 04, 09:21 PM
Idler

by the lack of response I wouldn't bother - try LEKI

Old January 4th 04, 10:03 PM
therebel

went up Scafell recently. I used my Komperdells and my daughter used a
pair of borrowed Leki Makalu's. the Leki's collapsed on her on at least
three occasions. Hence the request for Komperdell supplier!

Old January 5th 04, 01:41 AM
Paul Saunders

Idler wrote:

by the lack of response I wouldn't bother - try LEKI

I've had no problems with my Komperdells.

Paul
--
Calendars for 2004
http://www.wildwales.fsnet.co.uk/cal/cal.html

Old January 5th 04, 01:59 PM
CB

therebel wrote:
went up Scafell recently. I used my Komperdells and my daughter used

pair of borrowed Leki Makalu's. the Leki's collapsed on her on at
least three occasions. Hence the request for Komperdell supplier!

Collapsed! Probably they weren't tightened correctly, I've never had Leki's
collapse on me, YET ;-)

CB
--
Bird sightings based around 'Craven' Skipton, North Yorks.
http://cravenbirds.mysite.freeserve.com/

Old January 5th 04, 03:07 PM
Peter Clinch

CB wrote:

Collapsed! Probably they weren't tightened correctly, I've never had Leki's
collapse on me, YET ;-)

I've had just about everything I've used collapse on me at some point,
but never because of faulty manufacture. Simple fact is that it's
reasonably easy to load a pole beyond how strongly you tightened it up,
especially if it's cold and wet.
Note that Leki suggest you replace the locking grommets annually. I
wouldn't bother doing it anything like that often, but it does
demonstrate they do wear over time. Since any twist lock mech I've seen
is basically the same as Leki's I wouldn't expect Komperdell are doing
anything *that* different, and Leki poles I've used have all been well
built and reliable.

Pete.
--
Peter Clinch University of Dundee
Tel 44 1382 660111 ext. 33637 Medical Physics, Ninewells Hospital

Old January 5th 04, 03:22 PM
Phil Cook

On Mon, 05 Jan 2004 14:07:51 +0000, Peter Clinch wrote:

CB wrote:

Collapsed! Probably they weren't tightened correctly, I've never had Leki's
collapse on me, YET ;-)

I've had just about everything I've used collapse on me at some point,
but never because of faulty manufacture. Simple fact is that it's
reasonably easy to load a pole beyond how strongly you tightened it up,
especially if it's cold and wet.
Note that Leki suggest you replace the locking grommets annually. I
wouldn't bother doing it anything like that often, but it does
demonstrate they do wear over time. Since any twist lock mech I've seen
is basically the same as Leki's I wouldn't expect Komperdell are doing
anything *that* different, and Leki poles I've used have all been well
built and reliable.

One trick with tightening poles is to set them at the right length, and then to
get hold of the basket and handle (it helps if you wear gloves) to give them a
really good tweak to tighten them up before use. I've never noticed my poles
shortening when I've done this. Mind you, I have a strong grip. Gained from
frequent applications of the brakes of my pushbike at the far too numerous
traffic lights. Yes, I am that rare beast, a cyclist who stops at the red light.
Old January 5th 04, 03:25 PM
CB

Peter Clinch wrote:
CB wrote:

Collapsed! Probably they weren't tightened correctly, I've never had
Leki's collapse on me, YET ;-)

I've had just about everything I've used collapse on me at some point,
but never because of faulty manufacture. Simple fact is that it's
reasonably easy to load a pole beyond how strongly you tightened it
up, especially if it's cold and wet.
Note that Leki suggest you replace the locking grommets annually. I
wouldn't bother doing it anything like that often, but it does
demonstrate they do wear over time. Since any twist lock mech I've
seen is basically the same as Leki's I wouldn't expect Komperdell are
doing anything *that* different, and Leki poles I've used have all
been well built and reliable.

I, well remember a few years back, my wife borrowed my Leki, after
forgetting her own wooden alpenstock/walking stick.
She tootled off to climb Ben Wyvis alone.
4 hours later came back, ranting & raving! Cursing the Leki pole in 3 pieces
by then:-0

She's never used one since!!!!!!

CB

Old January 5th 04, 03:50 PM
Peter Clinch

Phil Cook wrote:

One trick with tightening poles is to set them at the right length, and then to
get hold of the basket and handle (it helps if you wear gloves)

Depends on the gloves: plain fleece ones have little grip on smooth
aluminium! Usual problem with slipping pole sections IME is when it's
cold and wet. Slush really doesn't help with the friction!

Yes, I am that rare beast, a cyclist who stops at the red light.

Though there isn't exactly a shortage of ******* who run through reds,
it isn't actually that rare for cyclists to observe traffic lights as
they're meant to. Thing is people don't register the people doing it
the right way. Ditto slackwits with no lights after dark.

Pete.