Accuracy of Garmin Forerunner

Old February 9th 04, 12:41 AM
Rivermist

Default Accuracy of Garmin Forerunner

I have had my Forerunner for a few weeks and love it, but was wondering how
accurate it is.

Today I ran to the local HS and did 10 laps on their track. The Forerunner
showed the distance perfectly !

Old February 10th 04, 06:01 AM
moburgers

I've had my Forerunner 201 for about 6 weeks now. Distances measure very
close to perfect, as long as it can get good satellite reception. I have
compared to distances measuerd on my bike and in my car. I also use
Microsoft Map Point to plan out loops, and the distance is very close.
Maybe out by 200m on a 32km route.

It's a cool toy. Just wish it would work in the trees. It loses the GPS
signal a lot in the trees, and around tall buildings, and it does a crappy
job of recalculating after a lost signal.

Old February 10th 04, 07:25 AM
S o r n i

Rivermist wrote:
I have had my Forerunner for a few weeks and love it, but was
wondering how accurate it is.

Today I ran to the local HS and did 10 laps on their track. The
Forerunner showed the distance perfectly !

The track is off by 14.732".

Bill "parade wetter" S.

Old February 12th 04, 05:15 PM
SebB

I have a Timex Bodylink and my girlfriend is using the Forerunner. When we
go skiing together, the Forerunner is always reporting 200-300m less than my
Timex for a track lenght of about 21.5k. The last couple of times, we tried
to ski using the exact same line, skiing one behind the other. Same thing,
each time my Timex showed 200-300m more distance. I know there is some parts
where both seems to "agree" on the distance, i.e. we have the same distance
readings for few k. But is some parts of the track, the Forerunner can take
a 100m lag within 3-4 k.

I don't want to say Timex is perfect and Forerunner is bad but as moburgers
said, I think Forerunner calculation following a lost of signal is not the
most accurate one. Having said that, a 300m error on a 21.5k course is only
a slightly over 1% error, wich is not too bad.

SebB