Bike gloves or not? Century or not?

Old May 13th 04, 05:49 PM
Michael Emerald

Default Bike gloves or not? Century or not?

Hi guys.
GLOVES OR NOT?
I've been doing my bike rides this season without gloves, but am
doing a fast century this Sunday. I can't decide whether to wear
gloves or not. On the one hand (no pun intended!), it's just one more
complication, but on the other hand, it helps with handling,
particularly if my hands get sweaty. What do you think? they'll be a
lot of people, so I won't be using aerobars.

CENTURY OR METRIC?
While I'm here, I'll ask you advice on another question. I'm new
to tri this year, and will be doing Olympic distance by year end. I
like to do bike events with my friends though. Should I be doing
centuries? Or should I stick to metrics (62 miles)? On the one hand
(there I go again) I can easily handle the endurance required, but on
the other hand, it detracts from my swimming and running training
while I'm building to century distance. What do you think? I've been
cycling for years.

Justin seven
Old May 13th 04, 08:34 PM
Williamsdrew

"Michael Emerald" wrote: [snipped]
GLOVES OR NOT?...I've been doing my bike rides this season without gloves,
but am doing a fast century this Sunday.

If you haven't been training with gloves, then don't wear them in the race.

CENTURY OR METRIC?...I'm new to tri this year, and will be doing Olympic

distance by year end.

IMO, velocity at lactate threshold is the primary determinant for success in
Olympic (and sprint) distance races. 62 miles is plenty for your long ride.
You can work it a little harder, and recover much faster. It will help you
to make you're threshold rides, swims, and tempo runs will be much more
productive. Same strategy with your long runs...1 1/2 - 1 3/4 hour max.

Good luck!

Old May 13th 04, 10:33 PM

Default Chicago Triathlon

Okay,
I'm doing the Chicago Triathlon on August 29. I have no idea what I'm
doing, so my question is: do I need a wetsuit...or will a swimsuit be fine
for this time of year?

Thanks!
Mary
Old May 15th 04, 11:53 PM
Dave Diamond

you will neeed a wetsuit.

Last yr almost every person I saw had one.
Old May 18th 04, 03:43 AM
Sam

Gloves are a good idea.

1) They reduce the shock leading into the hand and reduce the risk of hand
numbness
2) They protect your hands in case of a crash

m...

Old May 26th 04, 04:57 PM
Brandon Sullivan

The water is warm enough not to wear one, but cold enough so that they
will be allowed. It's up to you what you prefer. 90% of the people
in the race wear one.

Brandon
Old May 26th 04, 04:57 PM
Brandon Sullivan

The water is warm enough not to wear one, but cold enough so that they
will be allowed. It's up to you what you prefer. 90% of the people
in the race wear one.

Brandon

Stationary bike vs. regular bike John H. Power Aerobic 7 May 31st 04 02:05 PM
Converting a road bike to Tri bike curt Triathalon 12 February 12th 04 02:19 PM
Bike weight Old Timer Triathalon 4 September 25th 03 11:59 AM
New to the Sport - Bike Question Garett Bugda Triathalon 4 August 3rd 03 03:56 AM