Help with Training Bible

Old June 17th 04, 02:38 AM
Ironic

Default Help with Training Bible

Perhaps someone familiar with the Training Bible (Friel) can explain
the tables on Pages 37/38 of the Second Edition (They are similar so
explaining one will do). I guess it is just one of those things. I'm
sure its simple. If you attempt to explain it, please do so in detail.

Greg, B.A., J.D. LLM, and can't understand the PhysEd major's simple
table.
Old June 17th 04, 04:00 AM
DaveB

Ironic wrote:
Perhaps someone familiar with the Training Bible (Friel) can explain
the tables on Pages 37/38 of the Second Edition (They are similar so
explaining one will do). I guess it is just one of those things. I'm
sure its simple. If you attempt to explain it, please do so in detail.

Greg, B.A., J.D. LLM, and can't understand the PhysEd major's simple
table.

For a start I've seen different books with different heart rate zones
and there's a table somewhere else in "the bible" that differs from say
the Sally Edwards heart rate zone table.

Anyway the list for table 4.1 involves you doing a 1000m time trial and
finding your time on the left column. Based on this you can see in the
corresponding columns what sort of pace you need to swim to be training
in particular heart rate zones. This can be useful if you can't gte a
heart rate monitor to work in the pool (personally mine has always been
fine as long as the strap is tight).

The issue I have with this table is that for swimming I really only
train in 3 zones and I can usually guess what I'm in: slow for technique
is usually zone 2, medium for distance is zone 3, and flat out is
usually 4 (with occasional expeditions into 5 but not enough to bother
recording). So I've basically ignored this table. For running I always
use a HRM because I am hopeless at estimating my heart rate while running.

DaveB

Old June 17th 04, 02:07 PM
Ironic

DaveB wrote in message ...
Ironic wrote:
[...]

Thanks Dave. So let me understand further--If I do a time trial at
"X", I look over to the training zone columns, and that will tell me
what zones I need to train in (when training in those zones is
indicated under the training plan). And training in these zones is
intended to improve my time trial time from "X"?

Greg

Old June 18th 04, 09:34 AM
DaveB

Ironic wrote:
DaveB wrote in message ...

Ironic wrote:

[...]

Not exactly. Looking across at the columns will indicate what lap times
you need to be doing to get your heart rate to that column's heart rate
zone. You still need to plan what heart rate zones you should train in
and how frequently. There's some indication of this in the Bible but
it's not something it gets into very deeply.

The Sally Edwards books put a lot more emphasis on building a training
plan based on heart rate and how to build that plan. The Polar site
probably has soem plans too (long time since I've been on it though)
http://www.polar.fi

DaveB