Need advice on bench press weak point

Old August 11th 04, 05:46 AM
bleh

Default Need advice on bench press weak point

I'm having trouble finding the weak point in my bench press. I have
been powerlifting since the first of the year using a westside
routine. I have progressed well in all lifts except the bench press. I
am hoping if I show what my records look like in my max effort
exercises, it could possibly give some clues as to my weak point.

Narrow Grip Bench Press - 220lbs
Incline Bench Press - 205lbs
Illegally Wide Grip Bench Press (worked to triple for safety reasons)
- 200lbs
Military Press - 145lbs
3 Board Press - 235lbs
Bench Press - 215lbs

Based on these numbers, I tend to think it might be my shoulders.
Anyone else have an opinion?
Old August 11th 04, 04:02 PM
Jeff Finlayson

bleh wrote:

I'm having trouble finding the weak point in my bench press. I have
been powerlifting since the first of the year using a westside
routine. I have progressed well in all lifts except the bench press. I
am hoping if I show what my records look like in my max effort
exercises, it could possibly give some clues as to my weak point.

Narrow Grip Bench Press - 220lbs
Incline Bench Press - 205lbs
Illegally Wide Grip Bench Press - 200lbs x 3
Military Press - 145lbs
3 Board Press - 235lbs
Bench Press - 215lbs

Based on these numbers, I tend to think it might be my shoulders.
Anyone else have an opinion?

You can close grip bench more than your regular bench. Looks like
you are weak off the chest. There could be form flaws too.

Where you fail will tell you the weak point. The weak point is
at or below the sticking/failure point.

Really, there's not sense in doing 1 rep maxes on all these exercises.
Bench OK, but not the others.

Jeff out ...
Old August 11th 04, 08:44 PM
bleh

Jeff Finlayson wrote in message ...
bleh wrote:

[...]

Well, if you are familiar with Westside you would see a point to
maxing out in all of these exercise. These are my max effort
exercises. My sticking point has always been a few inches off of my
chest. The bar does not travel backwards over my face. I press
straight out and maintain this bar position. This is really
frustrating because I have made almost no progress in my bench press
since I started powerlifting. My other lifts have been coming along
fine.
Old August 11th 04, 08:47 PM
Lyle McDonald

bleh wrote:

[...]

they wouldn'tt appear to be working very well, then.

My sticking point has always been a few inches off of my
chest. The bar does not travel backwards over my face. I press
straight out and maintain this bar position. This is really
frustrating because I have made almost no progress in my bench press
since I started powerlifting. My other lifts have been coming along
fine.

It's either delts or serratus.

Try floor press for ME and add front plate raises on both upper body
days at the end of the workout.

Lyle

Old August 11th 04, 09:02 PM
Keith Hobman

bleh wrote:

[...]

So perhaps you should quit using Westside for your bench and use a more
conventional routine.

Or my favourite - Sheiko. I promise you'll increase to 275 bare minimum in
6 months, barring injury.

http://www.irongarm.org/Training/routines.htm

Do Begginer 1, then 2 and then the peaking routine.

--
Dawn's cold kiss calls me
Forth I creep, blindly stumbling
Old August 11th 04, 09:04 PM
Keith Hobman

bleh wrote:

[...]

Or just a lack of strength. I personally think the problem is more motor
and neural than overall strength. The problem with Westside by yourself is
you don't have the people there to analyze your technique and make
adjustments in your program which reflect your training. And of course,
the atmosphere.

Do Sheiko. Really.

Old August 11th 04, 09:33 PM
Jeff Finlayson

bleh wrote:
Jeff Finlayson wrote:
bleh wrote:

[...]

I know enough about westside to say it's not all 1 rep maxes.
1-3 reps is the suggestion. You won't see Mil press or incline
bench on their max effort bench list either.
Old August 11th 04, 10:03 PM
Keith Hobman

In article , Jeff Finlayson
wrote:

bleh wrote:
Jeff Finlayson wrote:
bleh wrote:

[...]

Military press can be a ME exercise. The incline press is often done with
a narrow grip as assistance.

--
Dawn's cold kiss calls me
Forth I creep, blindly stumbling
Joy: Morning workouts.
Hugh Beyer's 'Haiku On Returning To Weights'

Hardgainer Bodybuilding & Weightlifting FAQ Rolo&Maria Weights 30 December 29th 04 10:32 PM
What might be my weak point in the bench press? bleh Weights 35 May 1st 04 06:54 PM
Bench Press to Military Press Strength Ratio? Mike Weights 2 January 3rd 04 07:10 AM
DC Training (long) T-REx Weights 24 November 15th 03 03:19 AM
Bench Press cH;"yOkyH; Fred Jones Walking 0 July 21st 03 02:19 PM