Swimming ---Is Weight Loss Possible?

Old December 27th 04, 02:08 AM
Jason O'Rourke

Dave Clary wrote:
The last half marathon I ran with a HRM (2002), I averaged 178 for 1:55.

In an earlier post you said you had an HRM of 160 for an "easy" run. 160
doesn't sound like a recovery rate for someone who averages 178 for a half. My
half marathon times were in the 1:35-1:40 range but on an easy day a 9:00 pace
my HR was around 130.

I find it hard to run at a 130 beat. That's just too slow a pace for me. If
I'm been slacking, that may mean a 9 minute pace, but if I'm running much,
it's about 8.

I've read through a lot of the literature on heart race zones and I'm still
struggling to see the gain in going easy if I can go faster without negative
feedback. Max, btw, for me, is around 192.

I find this an interesting topic because I'm now in the pool because my feet
won't tolerate running any more. But in my present condition, and lack of
technique, there's no such thing as an "easy" swim. Doing 50 meters calls for a
fair amount of hanging on the gutter for awhile! :-)

Just the same as when you start running after a long layoff. The muscles aren't
efficient enough to keep up with the heart. And swimming is so technique dependent
that a new swimmer will be operating at 1/4th or 1/3rd the efficiency of the
regulars. I can get off a single hard 100 at a reasonable speed, and that's about
it for a spell. But I can reel off the 2400s if I get take a 5 second break often.
Not the way to get a great time, but only so many free hours in the week.

--
Jason O'Rourke www.jor.com
Old December 27th 04, 03:29 AM
Steve Freides

"Jason O'Rourke" wrote in message
Steve Freides wrote:
well, you get the idea. Still, it was fun, but I don't get the whole
idea of the transition and how one's time matters - who gives a hoot
who
fast someone can change clothes?)

Try doing a sprint event sometime, Steve. Even with the tiny legs,
it's pretty
harsh on the body just doing such simple tasks as changing shoes, and
then making
the body do a very different activity. In the first transition you
shift from
being horizonal to being vertical again. The blood circulation has to
change
substantially. And in the second, your legs feel like bricks as you
try to run
after a long spell of cycling.

Think about how fast your individual splits would be if you sat for 20
minutes
in transition.

I just don't see a problem that. Something like the structure of the
decathlon, maybe for Ironman distances having one event per day. I'm
not saying there's anything wrong with a triathlon, just that the
structure of it doesn't interest me. Seeing how well I could do with
either of the above structures is simply more interesting to me than
trying to do them all one right after the other. To each his own and
all that.

-S-
http://www.kbnj.com

I probably average about 2.5 minutes for T1, 1.5 minutes for T2,
which includes the time getting in and out of the transition zone. I
might
benefit from slowing it down a bit, but you got to penalize
triathletes for it.

I've never done a relay, mostly because the entry fees don't get much
cheaper.
It definitely changes your strategy though - no need to start relaxing
at the
end of the swim or the ride.
--
Jason O'Rourke www.jor.com

Old December 27th 04, 03:36 AM
DaKitty

"Jason O'Rourke" wrote in message
DaKitty wrote:
Doesn't sound like you put in a ton of effort into your swim.
I can swim a 500Y, and have a heart rate of 170 or 180... and most

people
in
our workout group can do the same.
Sounds like your swim resembles a light jog, rather than a serious

swim.

Can you sustain it for 2400m?

Can you sustain a heart rate of 180 for an hour?

The last half marathon I ran with a HRM (2002), I averaged 178 for 1:55.

So, yes.

Well, then swim at that intensity, and you'll burn more calories than
running.
Not the typical triathletic easy paced poor technique arm flailing with no
kicking, but some real swimming.

Old December 27th 04, 03:40 AM
DaKitty

"Martin W. Smith" wrote in message
"DaKitty" wrote:

"Jason O'Rourke" wrote in message
jtaylor wrote:
It is inherently inferior to running for weight loss because the

hourly
caloric burn is signficantly lower.

No true. There are studies that show swimming has a higher energy

cost
per
unit time than running, when both are at maximal effort levels.. The

rate
of is of course, all dependant of the work rate of the person doing

the
exercise.

Because of the way drag increases with speed, swimming has the

potential,
but
the reality is that very few can or will do so. While running 3 miles

in
30
minutes has the same burn as running it in 20. Even running 10 minute

miles
translates to 800 cal/hour for a medium weight man. That's because

nothing
gets around the work of lifting the body off the ground. No floating

or
coasting.

My HR for an easy run is about 160. For distance swimming in 55F

water,
it's 110.
Estimating calorie burn, it's 1000+/hr versus 500. I'm not a fast

swimmer, but I
do have 5 Alcatraz swims to my credit.

Doesn't sound like you put in a ton of effort into your swim.
I can swim a 500Y, and have a heart rate of 170 or 180... and most people

in
our workout group can do the same.
Sounds like your swim resembles a light jog, rather than a serious swim.

Or maybe he's in better shape.

If he's in a better shape, then he doesn't sound like he's challenging
himself much.
If personally he's not working hard enough, that is no testament that
swimming doesn't burn calories. It just means he's swimming at lower
intensity.

Old December 27th 04, 08:46 AM
Martin W. Smith

"Olivier" wrote:

"Steve Freides" a écrit dans le message de news:

I've been a runner, swimmer, and cyclist for years although I've never
done a triathlon - I just happen to enjoy all three.

My experience is that if one wants to do more than 8 hours endurance
training a week (after age 40), he has to do triathlon.

Alternating swimming, running, and cycling is the only way to avoid getting
injured. Training one sport (swimming or running...) 8 hours a week with the
same muscle / tendon is the surest way to get injured after a certain age
(for ordinary people).

And even if you are injured, you can still train triathlon -cycling when
having shoulder injury, swimming when having foot injury...

I agree. I'm not doing any swimming right now, but I will begin again
in the new year. But I do aerobics classes, weight lifting/aerobics
classes, spinning, step machine, elyptical walker, kick boxing, and
swimming. I am much stronger, generally, than when I was just doing
swimming.

Old December 27th 04, 08:49 AM
Martin W. Smith

DaKitty wrote:
Doesn't sound like you put in a ton of effort into your swim.
I can swim a 500Y, and have a heart rate of 170 or 180... and most

people
in
our workout group can do the same.
Sounds like your swim resembles a light jog, rather than a serious

swim.

Can you sustain it for 2400m?

Can you sustain a heart rate of 180 for an hour?

The last half marathon I ran with a HRM (2002), I averaged 178 for 1:55.

So, yes.

Well, then swim at that intensity, and you'll burn more calories than
running.
Not the typical triathletic easy paced poor technique arm flailing with no
kicking, but some real swimming.

But you can't do that because your body will build up waste faster
than it can get rid of it, and you will collapse into a heap of
eyeballs and shoulder blades.

Old December 27th 04, 08:51 AM
Martin W. Smith

"DaKitty" wrote:

"Martin W. Smith" wrote in message
.. .

jtaylor wrote:
[...]

He would have had to challenge himself quite a lot to get to that
level.

If personally he's not working hard enough, that is no testament that
swimming doesn't burn calories. It just means he's swimming at lower
intensity.

He isn't saying swimming doesn't burn calories.

Old December 27th 04, 01:46 PM
Jason O'Rourke

DaKitty wrote:
I can swim a 500Y, and have a heart rate of 170 or 180... and most

Well, then swim at that intensity, and you'll burn more calories than
running.
Not the typical triathletic easy paced poor technique arm flailing with no
kicking, but some real swimming.

So for how long, 7 or 8 minutes? 500 yards isn't exactly a workout. It's
a single interval.

And what's your mile time, Kitty?

--
Jason O'Rourke www.jor.com
Old December 28th 04, 05:27 AM
DaKitty

DaKitty wrote:
[...]

Yeah, cause you're using more muscle and more resources than running.

My Weight loss Story Jenny General 3 May 7th 04 06:39 PM
My Weight loss Story Jenny Weights 24 April 29th 04 05:09 PM
Help! 800cal/day = good diet or ED? "Eat less, do more" not working? VLCD trap? vlcd_hell Weights 126 February 7th 04 01:21 AM
Why do the BBing Mags keep lying about weights? Robert Schuh Weights 41 November 9th 03 10:43 PM
training and weight loss (and a few other questions) Mike Charles Triathalon 9 August 18th 03 09:48 PM