Is blading really a "fitness" sport?

Old January 29th 04, 01:07 AM
SN Admin

Default Is blading really a "fitness" sport?

My buddies who jog make wisecracks like "wow 6 more months of that
and you'll catch up to where we'll be in a week.." and so on. Fitness
or not I'm not going to bang up my knees jogging.

But anyhow it got me thinking that although I really enjoy blading and
it HAS to be better for me than sitting on my ass, I wonder how much
"fitness benefit" there really is.

One example. I bladed 12 miles a day x 5 days a week ago, with fruit
only for breakfast and salad for lunch. Normal dinners. My goal is to
loose 25 pounds by May. Anyhow, I weighed Monday of the this week and
I lost a whole 0.5 lbs! Which might be how much my weight varies
normally- probably more than that in fact. I'm about 40.

I complete the 12 miles in a little over an hour with perhaps a total
of 5 minutes rest tossed in. Most of the terrain is flat and level. I
sometimes do 200-500 meter sprints, and I skate at least a mile of it
backwards. I also drink a liter of water that time. So I guess I'm
averaging about 10 miles an hour.

Anyhow- a questionable 0.5 lb benefit (less than a can of beer!) for
70 miles of blading HARDLY seems like a really great return on the
investment. Sometimes I think my jogging buddies may have a point- if
I'd run those 70 miles I think I would have shown much more
improvement, but again, I'm not going to sacrifice my knees. Also, I
consider jogging just plain boring.

Can any fitness gurus comment on the vaqlue of blading for fitness and
weight reduction. Are there techniques and or tips to get the weight
off faster, aside from skating longer?

Gracias.
Old January 29th 04, 02:09 AM
Proctologically Violated©®

--
"SN Admin" wrote in message
om...
[...]

You are right--running 70 miles dwarfs the calorie expenditure of
blading 70 miles. And 10 mph blading is not very demanding, probably
similar to cycling.
Comparing blading to running is really an apples/oranges thing,
but the translation can be made. You need to compare *time*, not distance.
Here's why.
Blading, like cycling, is a very efficient form of motion, so in
terms of miles, you gotta do *a lot* of miles. But in terms of time, you
can easily get the same benefit/calorie expenditure as do your running
friends--you just gotta skate hard.
Check your pulse to make sure it is as high as when you jog.
Altho HR is activity-specific, I think that overall the leg msucles involved
are similar enough that you can use HR as a rough guide to comparing
exertions between running and skating. But please do not buy a HRM--totally
useless.
Make sure your strokes are long (for good range of motion), and
hard. Feel the burn. Back off. Enjoy. IMO, blading is way superior to
running, from ROM, muscular devolopment, flexibility, and wear&tear POVs.
I would pick blading over running *hands down*, no questions
asked.
'Member the speed skaters on the Edy's commercial? Hilarious. If
you have any doubts as to whether blading is a fitness sport, look at the
thighs of speed skaters. Good gawd....
And now you know, first hand, that weight loss claims are utter
bull****. Very few people on earth can lose more than .5 lbs/week
legitimately--ie, mostly as fat. Not a concern, IMO.
Covert Bailey used the wrong conjunction in his Fit OR Fat
hypothesis. It is actually is Fit AND Fat. Probably, if we ran the
numbers, we'd see an inverse correlation between ripped abs and IQ, w/
Garrison (of MFM) likely being the poster boy.
----------------------------
Mr. P.V.'d
formerly Droll Troll

Gracias.

Old January 29th 04, 03:18 PM
Proctologically Violated©®

Default You're looking at TOTAL weight, w/ out considering muscle GAIN!

--
"FNGuy" wrote in message
nk.net...
(SN Admin) wrote in
om:

Anyhow- a questionable 0.5 lb benefit (less than a can of beer!) for
70 miles of blading HARDLY seems like a really great return on the
investment. Sometimes I think my jogging buddies may have a point- if
I'd run those 70 miles I think I would have shown much more
improvement, but again, I'm not going to sacrifice my knees. Also, I
consider jogging just plain boring.

Can any fitness gurus comment on the vaqlue of blading for fitness and
weight reduction. Are there techniques and or tips to get the weight
off faster, aside from skating longer?

Your MAJOR FALLACY here is looking at TOTAL weight reduction, instead of
BODY FAT reduction. You indicated that you went from being much less
active, to skating 70mi/week. That's going to DEVELOP a large amount of
butt, hip, back, and thigh muscle, LEAN, *DENSE* muscles--the largest ones
in your body. That's the kind of "weight gain" you don't have to worry
about. ;')

You may well have lost 2.0 lbs. of lard, and BUILT 1.5 lbs. of MUSCLE
(hypothetical numbers for purposes of illustration), for your net "loss"

of
0.5 lbs.

Forget the scale, and instead use the mirror, tape measure, and pinch
test... no one knows better than you where YOUR fat accumulates. ;')

PS: Given your somewhat extreme/Spartan diet for breakfast and lunch,

what
TIME OF DAY do you skate???

Agree with these points, except that it does take a while for
true hypertrophy to occur--a few months of sustained resistance effort.
First, motor neuron recruitment must be completed, which takes a while
(possibly months), and at which most people usually stop "developing", as
MNR actually can generate large amounts of strength gain.
Also, along with muscle activity, and with hypertrophy, is water
gain, particularly when 'pumped up". So indeed altho the scale "does not
lie" (altho Greer Childers certainly does), and the tape may not lie, nor
are they giving the complete story.
Only a biopsy gives the true story. And maybe some scanning
techniques using various dyes. Density weighing/skin fold tests give better
ideas, but why bother?
And, true body fat reduction occurs very slowly.
But, sustained blading of sufficient intensity will over time
indeed develop an impressive backside/lower body, IMO more important than
the aerobic whatever from running--which blading will provide as well.
----------------------------
Mr. P.V.'d
formerly Droll Troll

Old January 31st 04, 12:42 AM
FNGuy

What you say is true, I was just giving him the quickie concept version.
Folks can do unnecesary damage, and/or be falsely discouraged by over-
reliance on the ol' bathroom scale. To scubanood's credit, it sounds like
he's weighing himself only once/week, which is a useful frequency. (It's
the 3 times a day folks that drive themselves insane.)

PS: Sorry to hear about your Violated Proctology... was it in prison, or
perhaps a "lifestyle" party that got out of control? ROF-LOL! Oh, it was
just your doctor, nevermind... ;'p

I know, I know, DFTFT...
Old January 31st 04, 05:56 AM
Steve Freides

"SN Admin" wrote in message
om...
[...]

It's pretty simple - you compare calories in to calories burned and you get
results. If you're not losing as much weight as you like, you have many
choices. The first one, since you're already getting some form of exercise
(and, yes, blading is a fine form of exercise), is to use something like
http://www.fitday.com or otherwise figure out how to remove 500 calories per
day from your diet. Cut out 500 calories per day and you'll likely lose 1-2
lbs. per week.

There are a myriad of other approaches you can take. Resistance training
has been shown to help keep the metabolism raised throughout the day, and
the acquisition of lean muscle mass and/or the residual tension left in the
muscles you've already got both help to burn more calories than those burned
by someone who doesn't weight train.

Aerobic exercise, done for more than 20-30 minutes at a time, a few times
per week, is catabolic for most people - it tends to keep your muscle mass
low - see above paragraph.

You can try redoing the composition of your diet. If your diet is high in
carbohydrates and low in fat and protein, simply switching to eating fewer
carbohydrates may make you feel fuller longer which, in turn, will cause you
to consume fewer calories overall. Please note that I do not practice an
Atkins-style low-carb diet nor am I recommending one to you, but I used to
live on pasta and bread; now that I don't, I weigh less because I'm less
hungry.

I hope those ideas get you thinking - there are many more things you could
do but we're each an experiment of one so I'd try out a few things, give any
changes at least a few weeks to show results, and ask again if you have more
questions.

If you care that I can walk the walk after having talked the talk, you can
visit my web site below - there are all sorts of video and pictures of me
exercising and articles about the kind of exercise I do. I'm 48 years old,
5' 8", weigh 150 lbs., 13% bodyfat, can deadlift (pick up off the floor)
well over 300 lbs., ran a 20:10 5k at age 45, and eat more or less
according to the principles of the Warrior Diet - see
http://www.kbnj.com/wd.htm for more on that.

-S-
http://www.kbnj.com

Old January 31st 04, 09:02 AM
johns

My buddies who jog make wisecracks like "wow 6 more months of that
and you'll catch up to where we'll be in a week.." and so on. Fitness
or not I'm not going to bang up my knees jogging.

Years ago, I made a comparison of weight loss doing jogging vs
aerobics. Aerobics beat jogging in weight loss by nearly a factor
of 2 . Why? I don't know. It might be that aerobics can be
sustained for 45 minutes 3 days a week, and then I was still
able to throw in skating 4 days a week and not tire so badly
that I would have to quit for a week. Jogging, on the other
hand, I could do maybe 3 days a week, and then I would
get sore and have to lay off for several days. Come to think
of it, I believe I remember tennis on the weekends, and
maybe a night or two of 2-stepping to go with the aerobics
and skating. Maybe we were never meant to migrate across
the tundra looking for greener grass. Instead, a daily bonga
in the jungle is more like it.

johns

Old January 31st 04, 05:56 PM
Kalani

My 2-cents...I'm going to be 40 soon (and started skating about 2
years ago) so don't think age is a limiting factor.

You will burn more calories running than skating but do you enjoy
running. In my case I find it very boring so I could never get into
it. I used to force myself to do 20 minutes 3 times a week.

I actually enjoy skating...its not an effort to get out there so I
know I'll do at least 3 hrs a week (two summers ago I averaged over 20
hrs of skating a week). Its something I enjoy so I can maintain at
least a minimum workout. I can't do that with running.

Don't obsess about the weight loss. When I first started I actually
gained 10 lbs in the first 3 months...but my waist went down by one
inch so I was happy.
Old February 9th 04, 04:32 AM
SN Admin

FNGuy wrote in message ink.net...
(SN Admin) wrote in
om:

[...]

Hmm my thread moved over here somehow!?

Thanks again for sharing your experience. Most of my weight-related
experience is in how to ADD it hahaha..

I skate at lunchtime just prior to my (salad) lunch. It works out
really well in the summer (here in Florida) since at 95-100 degrees
its a really good workout. I probably sweat off 5 lbs a day! This time
of year isnt that dramatic but its probably best to work up to that
temperature/stres level gradually.