Thanks For A Fun Year

Old December 2nd 07, 09:07 AM posted to misc.fitness.weights
Lance Elston

Default Thanks For A Fun Year

Even though the activity on this group is way down, it has still been an
entertaining year. I really can't say that I miss Willie Brinks much, as he
never seemed to add much to any discussion except for links to his website
and his flabby chest.

On the other hand, Rob Shue, Pete, and many others who have mostly
disappeared are a real loss. I miss them all, as they often had very
humorous remarks to make about almost anything.

As for the folks that are still here, thanks for your contributions. I enjoy
the humor the most, but sometimes there is even some good information to be
learned. I have to specially thank Mr. Hansen for the illuminating
discussion regarding his little cardiac hole. I have been to the doctor
since then and he put his finger on it and that was a great relief. At least
25% of us have little holes in our hearts and we don't even know it. Just
than nugget of information may have saved my life this year.

So I hope you will all look back on this year as it ends, and be grateful
for the existence of this group and the many funny folks who participate
here.

Old December 2nd 07, 09:37 AM posted to misc.fitness.weights
rev

Lance Elston wrote:
[...]

I agree, a great group and some members will never know the impact they
have had on my life. End of last November (06) I was diagnosed with a
brain tumour. After lifting for all of 3 years at my then age of 55 I
was pretty fit, lifting 4 days a week and setting new goals all the
time. My deadlift was approaching twice my weight. Anyhow, the brain
tumour was found by accident which made me and my family face mortality
but after 5 months in hospital with 4 operations and a serious infection
of the spinal fluid I was pretty low. My weight had dropped from 81kg to
59 kg and I couldn't even walk unaided to the toilet. Some nurses told
me that I would one day get back into lifting but I never believed them
as i was still very unwell.

Roll forward 6 months after discharge from hospital and things are
different. I have been back in the gym for 3 months ans while I cant do
everything I used to (like squats) because of balance issues I am doing
pretty good. My weight in now 89kg and I am back past bodyweight
deadlifts. I could do more but because they decided to still a shunt
(drain) in my brain I am taking things slowly. The one thing I noticed
this time, compared to last time, is that I didn't shed my excess weight
before getting serious with the weights. This time I started lifting
with about 10 kg more than I wanted in bodyweight and while I have
maintained my 90 kg I have lost a lot of body fat and put on muscle. So
I am unsure now as to whether somebody wanting a body recomposition to
lose the weight first or just begin lifting and let it happen slowly.

Anyhow, my 12 month MRI shows all clear as far as the tumour goes, I am
back in the gym 3-4 times a week and reading this group each day. All of
which was unthinkable in early 07. So, go well....

--
Bob Volkmer
Old December 2nd 07, 01:59 PM posted to misc.fitness.weights
ATP*

"Lance Elston" wrote in message

On the other hand, Rob Shue, Pete, and many others who have mostly
disappeared are a real loss. I miss them all, as they often had very
humorous remarks to make about almost anything.

Rob Hsu hasn't disappeared, he just had walking pneumonia.

Old December 2nd 07, 05:15 PM posted to misc.fitness.weights
Prisoner at War

On Dec 2, 3:07 am, "Lance Elston" wrote:
Even though the activity on this group is way down, it has still been an
entertaining year. I really can't say that I miss Willie Brinks much, as he
never seemed to add much to any discussion except for links to his website
and his flabby chest.

Even that would have been harmless compared to his constant heckling.
He reminds me of Brainy Smurf, some kind of know-it-all whom no one
pays much attention anyway.

On the other hand, Rob Shue, Pete, and many others who have mostly
disappeared are a real loss. I miss them all, as they often had very
humorous remarks to make about almost anything.

Shu'bert??? You can't be serious. He's only funny whenever he talks
about steroids, which is his only contribution to the collective
wisdom.

What puzzles me is why there seems to be no regular younger than forty
or fifty (besides myself, and even then I'm only seasonal help)....

?

So I hope you will all look back on this year as it ends, and be grateful
for the existence of this group and the many funny folks who participate
here.

Hey, there's always the google archives if you really miss the
legendary MFW blow-hards that much!
Old December 2nd 07, 05:19 PM posted to misc.fitness.weights
Steve Freides

"rev" wrote in message
Lance Elston wrote:
[...]

Wow - great job on recovering, and keep up the good work.

-S-
http://www.kbnj.com

Old December 2nd 07, 07:28 PM posted to misc.fitness.weights
Lance Elston

"rev" I could do more but because they decided to still a shunt (drain) in
my brain I am taking things slowly. I am unsure now as to whether somebody
wanting a body recomposition to lose the weight first or just begin lifting
and let it happen slowly.

You still have that in your body? I had surgery in '05 and they put a drain
behind my ear (tumor). It was out in about 10 days. I am slightly deaf in
that ear, but otherwise OK. The year leading up to the surgery was bad, as
the biopsies did not show if it was cancer or not. I was pretty sure I was
going to die, but I was very lucky and it was not malignant.

I know how you feel, though my surgery was less invasive than yours, and I
did not have such a serious issue or recovery. I know how it feels to be in
a hospital. I was coughing up blood for a few days after the surgery because
it was in the back of my ear/neck and there was some seepage that somehow
ended up with me throwing up blood. The first night was pretty bad in the
hospital, as I spent all night throwing up dark black blood. All that puking
just made me sicker.

I can only imagine what you have been through. God bless you and I hope your
recovery continues. I would suggest that you take things slowly. The body
may seem like it is back to normal, but inside there are still things that
are healing and little nerves and connections that are still recovering.
Weightlifting helps all that by boosting your system as long as you don't
push yourself to the point where your body has to shut down one recovery in
order to build up muscles!!

That is my medical BS diagnosis. I am not a male nurse but I want to play
one on TV.

Old December 2nd 07, 07:44 PM posted to misc.fitness.weights
Lance Elston

"ATP*" Rob Hsu hasn't disappeared, he just had walking pneumonia.

Rob is not doing very well. The folks at his Ladies Fitness Spa on 20th
Street in Phoenix sent me this photo of Rob which was taken on Friday:
http://www.dkimages.com/discover/pre...4/20213725.JPG
The walking pneumonia has really taken its toll on Rob.

I know everyone here joins me in wishing Rob a full recovery. Hopefully Rob
can soon be back in his best shape so he can post more photos of his amazing
progress: http://www.charliearms.com/gallery/charliefirstshow.jpg

Old December 3rd 07, 11:04 PM posted to misc.fitness.weights
Hard Bop Drums

[...]

Lance,
There is still a good amount of info here. Sitting around lamenting the
"good old days" really doesn't do any good. It was interesting to be able to
log into MFW and read what Dan Duchaine, Fred Hatfield, Jerry Brainum, Pat
Arnold etc. had to say, but it's almost 2008. I can't believe that I started
reading this group well over a decade ago. :-) I like Will, but I always ask
why he wants to post those photos of himself. He's certainly not up for any
GQ gigs! ;-)

--
Robert Schuh
- Nietzsche

http://www.hardbopdrums.com/

Old December 3rd 07, 11:09 PM posted to misc.fitness.weights
Hard Bop Drums

"rev" wrote in message
Lance Elston wrote:
[...]

Bob,
That story is great. That is the kind of thing that really makes reading MFW
worth while. It just made me think that exactly a decade ago today, I was
sitting in a Federal Max security prison. My weight got down to 122 lbs when
I was in there and they did their best to kill me, no sleep, bleeding ulcer,
2 surgeries, Pneumonia. What fun!!! Keep fighting!! :-)

--
Robert Schuh
- Nietzsche

http://www.hardbopdrums.com/

Old December 3rd 07, 11:23 PM posted to misc.fitness.weights
Hobbes

In article , rev
wrote:

Lance Elston wrote:
[...]

This really is great news. It doesn't always work out for the better,
but I just love to celebrate when it does. So I'm doing a virtual
celebration tonight!

Thanks Bob.

--
Keith

MFW Man of the Year David Weights 33 December 10th 06 07:13 PM
A year race= days in year 2005LSD(time) relevant.No confident Tom Wheeler Running 2 December 8th 05 04:34 AM
9 year old 10K Deni Running 25 May 4th 04 02:22 AM
10 year lay off.12 yrs to 22 yrs old fredcromer Running 2 April 7th 04 06:01 PM