First Race in 3 1/2 years

Old December 6th 07, 06:33 PM posted to rec.running
Randy Park

Default First Race in 3 1/2 years

Been away from this news group for a couple of years or more. Way too
much static, OT posts, back then.

I ran my first race, a 5K, in 3 1/2 years this past weekend. It was also the
first race since I started taking an anti arrhythmia medication for PVCs
2 years ago. I did it mostly to find out what real effect the medication had
on my times.

I had started running again in mid August and had been doing it 4 - 5 times
a week, slowly building up miles and effort. If this had been 3 years ago I
would have had a finish time in the 20 minute range. My time on this race
was 24:11. I was expecting to finish around 23:30 and was on target for
it until the third mile, which was mostly up hill, not a lot, but enough to
really slow me down. Had sore legs for a couple of days afterwards; very
unusual.

The race was held in Balboa Park, San Diego, where I was staying for the
last month. Now I'm settling down in my new home north of Tucson.

Splits:
Mile 1: 7:41 slightly uphill
Mile 2: 7:22 slightly downhill, sharp downhill near end
Mile 3: 8:22 steady uphill most of the way
Last 0.1: 0:46 downhill

Bottom line... That medication lowers my maximum heart rate from about
175 to 145, which in turn really slows me down while running. This takes
some getting used to, and it certainly affects the motivation level.

Old December 6th 07, 08:16 PM posted to rec.running
Teresa Bippert-Plymate

Randy Park wrote:
Been away from this news group for a couple of years or more. Way too
much static, OT posts, back then.

It's still pretty bad, unfortunately. Get out your killfile and start

I ran my first race, a 5K, in 3 1/2 years this past weekend. It was also the
first race since I started taking an anti arrhythmia medication for PVCs
2 years ago. I did it mostly to find out what real effect the medication had
on my times.

I had started running again in mid August and had been doing it 4 - 5 times
a week, slowly building up miles and effort. If this had been 3 years ago I
would have had a finish time in the 20 minute range. My time on this race
was 24:11. I was expecting to finish around 23:30 and was on target for
it until the third mile, which was mostly up hill, not a lot, but enough to
really slow me down. Had sore legs for a couple of days afterwards; very
unusual.

Welcome back, and congrats! Really not that much of a drop for having
been off running for so long. Especially with a third-mile hill. And the
new medication, to say the least.

The race was held in Balboa Park, San Diego, where I was staying for the
last month. Now I'm settling down in my new home north of Tucson.

Welcome to Tucson! If you don't already know, the AZ Roadrunners are
an active group: azroadrunners.org. Next rr race is a 10K Jan 27th.
Hope to see you at one of the events.

Splits:
Mile 1: 7:41 slightly uphill
Mile 2: 7:22 slightly downhill, sharp downhill near end
Mile 3: 8:22 steady uphill most of the way
Last 0.1: 0:46 downhill

Bottom line... That medication lowers my maximum heart rate from about
175 to 145, which in turn really slows me down while running. This takes
some getting used to, and it certainly affects the motivation level.

I'll bet, that is quite a difference in heart rate. I'll be curious to
hear what others on the group may have in the way of experience with it,
and how they've coped. But big congrats for the race, and for getting
back into the running!

Teresa in AZ
Old December 7th 07, 07:47 PM posted to rec.running
Jsquared

Teresa Bippert-Plymate wrote:
Randy Park wrote:
Been away from this news group for a couple of years or more. Way too
much static, OT posts, back then.

It's still pretty bad, unfortunately. Get out your killfile and start

Haven't been here in a couple years myself and I swear I still recognize
some of the trolls.
I'm using Thunderbird so how do you create a killfile to filter out some
of this crap.

JJ
Old December 7th 07, 08:44 PM posted to rec.running
Teresa Bippert-Plymate

Randy Park wrote:
Been away from this news group for a couple of years or more. Way too
much static, OT posts, back then.

It's still pretty bad, unfortunately. Get out your killfile and start

Haven't been here in a couple years myself and I swear I still recognize
some of the trolls.
I'm using Thunderbird so how do you create a killfile to filter out some
of this crap.

JJ

Go to Tools, Message Filters, New, and then create the filters. I just
started using TB too, so I can't speak to how well the filters work.
Maybe in a week or two. Good Luck!

Teresa in AZ
Old December 8th 07, 08:22 PM posted to rec.running
Randy Park

Randy Park wrote:
Been away from this news group for a couple of years or more. Way too
much static, OT posts, back then.

It's still pretty bad, unfortunately. Get out your killfile and start

Haven't been here in a couple years myself and I swear I still recognize
some of the trolls.
I'm using Thunderbird so how do you create a killfile to filter out some
of this crap.

JJ

Go to Tools, Message Filters, New, and then create the filters. I just
started using TB too, so I can't speak to how well the filters work.
Maybe in a week or two. Good Luck!

Teresa in AZ

Yeh... I just downloaded TB yesterday. Free Agent doesn't allow
the use of filters. That's in the paid version only.

Wanted to go out for a 40 minute run this morning, but it's raining.
I didn't know it did that in the desert ;-)

Old December 11th 07, 04:34 PM posted to rec.running
Jsquared[_2_]

Randy Park wrote:
Been away from this news group for a couple of years or more. Way too
much static, OT posts, back then.

It's still pretty bad, unfortunately. Get out your killfile and start

Haven't been here in a couple years myself and I swear I still
recognize some of the trolls.
I'm using Thunderbird so how do you create a killfile to filter out
some of this crap.

JJ

Go to Tools, Message Filters, New, and then create the filters. I just
started using TB too, so I can't speak to how well the filters work.
Maybe in a week or two. Good Luck!

Teresa in AZ

I picked out a couple of the most blatant trolls and did a filter on
their email address. The old ones are still there but I guess it only
works on the new ones so I should know by days end.

JJ
Old December 11th 07, 05:11 PM posted to rec.running
rick++

Great!

Old December 11th 07, 10:02 PM posted to rec.running
killuh

"rick++" wrote in news:8da8a3ca-1678-49db-82b3-
:

Great!

Rick is a man (unsubstantiated as of this writing) of few words. It's not
that he's wise, he just doesn't know that many.

Been gone three years download.com Weights 20 May 27th 07 03:49 AM
More Crazy stuff- Across the years race Doug Freese Running 15 January 4th 06 09:26 AM
My first race (5k) in 17 years teknofyle Running 8 September 21st 04 07:01 PM
D-Day +60 years Tabers8 Weights 2 June 7th 04 07:51 AM
This guy is 14 years old? Steven C Weights 15 May 22nd 04 07:58 PM