why am I getting this symptom after heavy walking?

Old June 25th 04, 11:54 PM
Jason Able

Default why am I getting this symptom after heavy walking?

I have been doing fast walking for the past 5 years, off and on, to keep my
weight down. However, instead of feeling rejuvinated after the activity, I
feel drained and barely above sleeping. I have experimented with this
symptom and find that it only occurs if two things coincide- rapid heart
rate (above 175 bmp) and very fast walking, above 5 mph. If I keep the hr
in the 160's, I don't seem to have the symptoms. One probably asks why I
continue to go above the aforementioned limits, but the result brings along
another benefit- I almost have to force myself to eat as my appetite is
totally drained. So, as a result, my weight stays off (but I can only do
this intense walking when my day's work is completed or I can do nothing at
work!). The big question I have is, what's causing me to feel so weak and
tired? I drink plenty of water and tried to see if dehydration might have
been the cause, but the amount of water, even in excess, doesn't change
anything. Type II diabetes does run in the family in males around age 40
(I'm 34 but have had the symptoms of weakness since age 27). I have checked
my sugar quite a lot and don't seem to have it yet. However, could my body,
through genetics, somehow be thinking that it has diabetes (like
pre-diabetes)? I know it's pretty far fetched, but I don't have a clue as
to what causes my weakness/ draining after intense walking.

Thanks in advance for any opinions.

Jason Able

Old June 26th 04, 12:21 AM
Denise Howard

In article .net,
Jason Able wrote:

[...]

You should be asking your doctor this question, not a bunch of people
on the Internet! Only your doctor has your medical history on file and
can, if necessary, put you through a supervised treadmill stress test
to monitor exactly what's happening in your body as the workout
changes.

--
Denise denise dot howard at comcast dot net
ACE and AFAA certified fitness instructor
Old June 28th 04, 03:03 PM
Martin Thompson

22:54:37 Fri, 25 Jun 2004misc.fitness.aerobic
Jason Able at Jason Able writes:
I have been doing fast walking for the past 5 years, off and on, to keep my
weight down. However, instead of feeling rejuvinated after the activity, I
feel drained and barely above sleeping. I have experimented with this
symptom and find that it only occurs if two things coincide- rapid heart
rate (above 175 bmp) and very fast walking, above 5 mph. If I keep the hr
in the 160's, I don't seem to have the symptoms. One probably asks why I
continue to go above the aforementioned limits,

Indeed...

but the result brings along
another benefit- I almost have to force myself to eat as my appetite is
totally drained. So, as a result, my weight stays off (but I can only do
this intense walking when my day's work is completed or I can do nothing at
work!).

Find another way. Substitute carbohydrate-rich foods for salads, for
example, at least some of the time. Do a wider range of exercises too,
if you can. It may be that certain muscles (and your cardiovascular
system) are benefiting from the fast walking, but other parts could be
contributing to your Calorie burning too. Stronger muscles burn more
calories, so how about a bit of resistance training if you aren't doing
that already?

The big question I have is, what's causing me to feel so weak and
tired?

Could be many things no doubt, but high on the list of probabilities
must be your body's limitations.

If we do too little exercise, that is sub-optimal and we don't get as
fit as we could. If we do too much, that too is sub-optimal and we don't
get as fit as we could. We also risk injury or worse. Optimal exercise,
when you are not doing too little or too much, results in the greatest
fitness gains.

I get the same sort of exhaustion feelings when I work my heart rate in
the 170s too, so I don't do it (much).

Do you know your maximum heart rate? At your age, it should be around
186 plus or minus about 20. At 175bpm you are exercising, at best, at
85% of your best most likely maximum of 206. At worst it could be
anything above that level. That certainly looks like too much to me,
unless you are very fit indeed.

I drink plenty of water and tried to see if dehydration might have
been the cause, but the amount of water, even in excess, doesn't change
anything.

What about salt levels? Too high or too low could make a difference.

Water in your oesophagus when exercising can make you feel a bit queasy,
I have found. You have to drink, but make sure that it reaches the
stomach (i.e., that you are not drinking too much at a time).

Type II diabetes does run in the family in males around age 40
(I'm 34 but have had the symptoms of weakness since age 27). I have checked
my sugar quite a lot and don't seem to have it yet. However, could my body,
through genetics, somehow be thinking that it has diabetes (like
pre-diabetes)?

Could be. Some people (myself included) theorize that type 2 can be
prevented in some people if they adopt a low carbohydrate lifestyle,
since dealing with too many carbohydrates is probably what is exhausting
the body's beta cells in the first place, in those who are susceptible.
This is of course unproven, but seems likely. Exercise and fitness too,
are preventative, as I'm sure you are aware.

I know it's pretty far fetched, but I don't have a clue as
to what causes my weakness/ draining after intense walking.

Over-exercising, is my guess. Listen to your body. It knows its
limitations and your brain doesn't.

Thanks in advance for any opinions.

Jason Able

--
Martin Thompson (use "martin" not "bin")
London, UK Home Page:

"Everything I do and say with anyone makes a difference." Gita Bellin
Old July 12th 04, 11:08 PM
Mun_ Between The Stones

On Fri, 25 Jun 2004 23:21:13 GMT, Denise Howard
wrote:

You should be asking your doctor this question, not a bunch of people
on the Internet!

Much less a "certified" trainer like yourself, eh?

Lift well, Eat less, Walk fast, Live long.