waterproofing leather boots

Old January 23rd 13, 03:54 PM posted to uk.rec.walking,uk.rec.gardening,uk.d-i-y
[email protected]

Default waterproofing leather boots

In article ,
Bill Grey wrote:

Having walked my dog pretty well every day for the best part of 10 years, in
all weathers, in long wet grass, mud snow and rain, often had the bottoms
a of my trouser legs soaked but my feet never were wet, My hillwalking days
I enjoyed, and always had Gortex lined boots - no problem.

I have never had any trouble under such mild use, either, nor did
I with other fabrics and materials. Most of them work tolerably
well day-by-day, if you can get them at least dryish overnight;
it is the third and subsequent days out in conditions that make
most dogs want to stay indoors that distinguish the waterproofness
of materials.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.
Old January 23rd 13, 04:17 PM posted to uk.rec.walking,uk.rec.gardening,uk.d-i-y
Bill Grey[_2_]

wrote in message ...
In article ,
Bill Grey wrote:

Having walked my dog pretty well every day for the best part of 10 years,
in
all weathers, in long wet grass, mud snow and rain, often had the
bottoms
a of my trouser legs soaked but my feet never were wet, My hillwalking
days
I enjoyed, and always had Gortex lined boots - no problem.

I have never had any trouble under such mild use, either, nor did
I with other fabrics and materials. Most of them work tolerably
well day-by-day, if you can get them at least dryish overnight;
it is the third and subsequent days out in conditions that make
most dogs want to stay indoors that distinguish the waterproofness
of materials.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.

You seem determined to play down my experience with my Gortex boots/trail
shoes, you comment of "mild use" is quite patronising seeing as you don't
really know the conditions in which they were used.

Very wet is very wet.

Your remark "... it is the third and subsequent days out in conditions
that make most dogs want to stay indoors that distinguish the waterproofness
of materials." .....sums up their use quite accurately.

You go your way, Ill stick with my truth.

Bill

Old January 23rd 13, 08:28 PM posted to uk.rec.walking,uk.rec.gardening,uk.d-i-y,uk.rec.motorcycles
Andy Champ[_2_]

On 23/01/2013 09:59, wrote:
In article ,
Peter Clinch wrote:
Bad phrasing on my part. What I'm getting at is that in order to /be/
staurated you need over a 4m water column providing pressure, and that
other words, the hydrostatic head will be maintained precisely because
the pore structure cannot get saturated until you exceed it.
The pore structure won't be saturated however much the face is.

Well, maybe. I accept that is true under simple conditions, but
real life isn't that simple. Inter alia, one of the reasons that
Goretex says that its fabrics must be kept clean is that 'dirt'
can act as a flux. Also, rubbing causes transient overpressure
which can cause 'breakthrough' - and, once that has happened and
both sides of the pores are wet, the surface tension effect is
(mostly) lost.

There is also the question of what the overpressure is for pouring
rain being driven by a force 7 gale :-)

I'm cross-posting this to uk.rec.motorcycles, because they are rather
familiar with the problems of high wind speeds and rain.

Its claims are nonsense (a
water molecule is NOT much larger than a steam molecule), and my
understanding is that the hydrostatic head is due to hydrophic
material.

It's surface tension, but you can't break the surface tension until you
exceed the hydrostatic head, which you won't do because it's too big.
So it won't leak until you've got a lot more pressure forcing the water
through than will happen in practical application.

I am not convinced, though I have been unable to measure any flow.
What I have seen is water on one side, in conjunction with rubbing
and probably dirt cause darkening and a feeling of damp on the
other. This matches with what I know of the physics involved.

Most examples of "leaking" are condensation on the other side, which is
remarakably difficult to get rid of.

That is true. As we both know, perfect waterproofing is a complete
waste of time for UK conditions, for that reason alone.

If it's easy to measure percolation through goretex then it would fail
the hydrostatic head tests that Gore use as the basis of their guarantee.

Not at all. Those tests almost certainly require a maximum level of
leakage, which can be regarded as negligible. That's reasonable, but
NOT the same as claims of perfect waterproofness.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.

See embedded.... Andy
Old January 24th 13, 09:53 AM posted to uk.rec.walking
Hog

sweller wrote:
Grimly Curmudgeon wrote:

I'm cross-posting this to uk.rec.motorcycles, because they are
rather familiar with the problems of high wind speeds and rain.

If you manage to find any that still ride in the rain.

Snow and rain - of course.

I don't seem to do a great deal of riding in the summer...

Huh it's just like Belfast, the Marching Season commands the whole summer.

--
Hog

Ducati ST4S GasGas 250 Raga

Old January 24th 13, 10:10 AM posted to uk.rec.walking,uk.rec.gardening,uk.d-i-y,uk.rec.motorcycles
ogden

Grimly Curmudgeon wrote:

On Wed, 23 Jan 2013 20:28:25 +0000, Andy Champ
wrote:

I'm cross-posting this to uk.rec.motorcycles, because they are rather
familiar with the problems of high wind speeds and rain.

If you manage to find any that still ride in the rain.

Don't judge others by your own low standards.

--
ogden

990SMT - bouncy orange tractor
GSXR1000 - vintage sports-tourer
Old January 24th 13, 10:40 AM posted to uk.rec.walking,uk.rec.gardening,uk.d-i-y,uk.rec.motorcycles
'Mike'[_2_]

"ogden" wrote in message
Andy Champ wrote:

On 23/01/2013 09:59, wrote:
Well, maybe. I accept that is true under simple conditions, but
real life isn't that simple. Inter alia, one of the reasons that
Goretex says that its fabrics must be kept clean is that 'dirt'
can act as a flux. Also, rubbing causes transient overpressure
which can cause 'breakthrough' - and, once that has happened and
both sides of the pores are wet, the surface tension effect is
(mostly) lost.

There is also the question of what the overpressure is for pouring
rain being driven by a force 7 gale :-)

I'm cross-posting this to uk.rec.motorcycles, because they are rather
familiar with the problems of high wind speeds and rain.

I've worn Goretex kit in rain at up to 160mph and stayed dry.

In "high wind speeds", I tend to worry more about what's in front of me
than the science behind why I'm not soaking wet.

--
ogden

990SMT - bouncy orange tractor
GSXR1000 - vintage sports-tourer

Nice and dry when my son drove his Bluebird up to that speed and clear so he
could see where he was going ;-)

My Bonneville doesn't go out in the rain, which means it hasn't been out
very much :-(

Mike

Old January 24th 13, 02:09 PM posted to uk.rec.walking,uk.rec.gardening,uk.d-i-y,uk.rec.motorcycles
YTC#1

Wear Altbergs.