The Lose weight VS Build Muscle question..

Old December 5th 03, 05:31 AM
Mobert

Default The Lose weight VS Build Muscle question..

Ok I've read this group for a long time and I understand for the most
part you can not lose weight AND gain muscle at the same time. It's
either one or the other.

My question is this.... Lets say you have a person thats 100lbs over
weight, eats lets say 3000 or so cals a day. They start lifting weights
and keeps the same caloric intake. A year later, would they have lost
weight? gained muscle? Would they still look fat, or look muscular?

Just wondering what the outcome of that would be concidering you can't
generally gain muscle and lose weight at the same time.

Thanks.

Old December 5th 03, 05:39 AM
Robert Dorf

On Fri, 05 Dec 2003 04:31:21 GMT, Mobert wrote:

Ok I've read this group for a long time and I understand for the most
part you can not lose weight AND gain muscle at the same time. It's
either one or the other.

My question is this.... Lets say you have a person thats 100lbs over
weight, eats lets say 3000 or so cals a day. They start lifting weights
and keeps the same caloric intake. A year later, would they have lost
weight? gained muscle? Would they still look fat, or look muscular?

Just wondering what the outcome of that would be concidering you can't
generally gain muscle and lose weight at the same time.

A person 100 pounds overweight would be in an excellent position to
lose fat and gain muscle at the same time.

Someone who started fat and trained hard for a year without much of a
caloric deficit would generally end up looking better, but still fat.
Old December 5th 03, 01:54 PM
Wendy

Mobert wrote:
Just wondering what the outcome of that would be concidering you can't
generally gain muscle and lose weight at the same time.

I started with about 80 pounds to lose. For about the first six months I
gained muscle while losing fat. For the past year I've been gradually
decreasing my LBM while losing much more fat than LBM
(lifting free weights 3x week the entire time.)

My weight loss has not been linear. I have failed miserably every time I
have targeted a weight loss goal into the future. But I have succeeded
admirably in terms of reshaping my body through diet and exercise.

My advice is to stop projecting future results and start charting past
results. In other words, stop talking about it and just do it.

Wendy

Old December 5th 03, 03:13 PM
Roger Zoul

Wendy wrote:

:: My weight loss has not been linear. I have failed miserably every
:: time I have targeted a weight loss goal into the future. But I have
:: succeeded admirably in terms of reshaping my body through diet and
:: exercise.

Good point. I never understand why anyone who has a lot of lose will pick a
weight and a time and then shoot for it. That is an automatic failure, imo.

::
:: My advice is to stop projecting future results and start charting
:: past results. In other words, stop talking about it and just do it.
::

Good advice.

Hardgainer Bodybuilding & Weightlifting FAQ Rolo&Maria Weights 30 December 29th 04 10:32 PM
DC Training (long) T-REx Weights 24 November 15th 03 03:19 AM
Why do the BBing Mags keep lying about weights? Robert Schuh Weights 41 November 9th 03 10:43 PM
How much muscle can new person expect to build? cloverflowers Weights 10 September 19th 03 12:27 AM
muscle build supplement question Simon Weights 8 July 9th 03 07:33 PM