a small update (if intrested)

Old July 25th 03, 05:14 PM
sixx

Default a small update (if intrested)

Hello all,
First let remind you, I asked about the muscles in my legs while walking. I
did go out and purchase a pair of Nike walking shoes, and it did help me
alot. Also a few days of slower walking but at the same distance.
Experiences: So far lower back pain has increased a little, finding if i
lay on the floor after walk helps easy the pain in my lower back. However I
do find that the pain is increasing there. (maybe not enough stretching?)
Its been fairly warm here the last few weeks, so i'm also battleing a little
dehydration, (drinking lots of water) and making my walks later in the
evening, which i find is harder on my back, from sitting at work all day.
Weight loss to date. 6 pounds for 3 weeks of walking, (not much of a diet
change) I eat fairly healthy, anyways.
I'll let ya know how things go in a few weeks

Old July 25th 03, 06:59 PM
bj

Do you also do any sort of core-strengthening exercises?

When my "leg pain" turned out to be actually a back problem, the orthodoc
gave me a booklet of back exercises, marking the ones I should do. Several
involved ab strengthening type exercises. Worked wonders. I hardly ever have
a problem now (though I'm very lax about all my rehab exercises for assorted
body parts!) and can run several miles at a time.
bj

"Nada" wrote in message
I have chronic back problems,
so I can relate. I know all about low back pain. I walk to maintain my

low
back. When I first started, it was hard on it but I found that really

good
stretching before AND after helped tremendously. I learned lots of good
stretching via physical therapy a few years ago. I find that if I totally
stretch my back out every day BEFORE I even get out of bed...I have a much
better day. Then, stretching again before and after my walk.

Old July 25th 03, 07:42 PM
sixx

"Nada" wrote in message
: Hi :-)
:
: I'm new here, and I'm also interested. Could you tell me the story of
your
: back problems...if you don't mind me asking? I have chronic back
problems,
: so I can relate. I know all about low back pain. I walk to maintain my
low
: back. When I first started, it was hard on it but I found that really
good
: stretching before AND after helped tremendously. I learned lots of good
: stretching via physical therapy a few years ago. I find that if I totally
: stretch my back out every day BEFORE I even get out of bed...I have a much
: better day. Then, stretching again before and after my walk.
: Congratuations on losing 6 pounds. That is wonderful! I've also been
: losing weight, and it really helps.
:
: Take care,
:
: N
A few years ago I was welding in the back of a Potato truck, putting on a
roll tarp. We didnt have any pully's or lifting device's in the shop at
that time, we were manually lifting angle iron into the back of the semi,
when my partner slipped causing his end to drop and causing me to flip over
the side of the unit, dropping approximatly 8 feet onto my back. The lower
muscles in my back were torn and stretched. A few years later I still have
muscle spasims in my back, and have put on quite a bit of weight, almost 100
extra pounds. When i initally started to exercise again (with more resolve)
I found out that improper shoes were a problem with my legs and some of the
problem with my lower back. By the time I get home from my walk, I am
usually hunched over with some pretty good back pain. I do stretch, with the
technics learned from the therapist. Just have to keep going, figured if I
shared a little of what I have been going threw, I could get some advise
from the group here.
My first post proved that, so far the help has been good, you'll find that
people here are dedicated and very knowledgeable. and for that I am
greatful.
good luck with your exercise's

Old July 25th 03, 07:49 PM
sixx

"bj" wrote in message
: Do you also do any sort of core-strengthening exercises?
:
: When my "leg pain" turned out to be actually a back problem, the orthodoc
: gave me a booklet of back exercises, marking the ones I should do. Several
: involved ab strengthening type exercises. Worked wonders. I hardly ever
have
: a problem now (though I'm very lax about all my rehab exercises for
assorted
: body parts!) and can run several miles at a time.
: bj
:
: "Nada" wrote in message
: ...
: I have chronic back problems,
: so I can relate. I know all about low back pain. I walk to maintain my
: low
: back. When I first started, it was hard on it but I found that really
: good
: stretching before AND after helped tremendously. I learned lots of good
: stretching via physical therapy a few years ago. I find that if I
totally
: stretch my back out every day BEFORE I even get out of bed...I have a
much
: better day. Then, stretching again before and after my walk.
:
Actually my exercise routine is very simple at the moment, aside from
stretching out before and after, I walk for atleast 20 mins a day now, at a
slow pace. My wife and I play 21 basketball, at a local school yard ( in
the evenings) I try to do at least 10 partial set ups in the morning and
however many push ups that I can muster up. I'm not sure what you mean by
core training, if you could elaberate a little i'd appreciate it. also we
just purchased a weight bench with 4 ten pound weights and 2 25 pound
weights. Havent really gotten into that quite yet, I'm still a little
nervous about it (back issue's) I guess i'm really just trying to find a
good routine of sorts until I start feeling the strengh come back.

Old July 25th 03, 10:47 PM
Nada

Do you also do any sort of core-strengthening exercises?

I wish I could. My spine is so degenerated that I can't do much in the way
of that.
I went to a local gym to ask about it, and they turned me away :-(
I have tons of stretches..which in some case could be exercises as well, I
guess.

When my "leg pain" turned out to be actually a back problem, the orthodoc
gave me a booklet of back exercises, marking the ones I should do. Several
involved ab strengthening type exercises. Worked wonders. I hardly ever

have
a problem now (though I'm very lax about all my rehab exercises for

assorted
body parts!) and can run several miles at a time.
bj

I used to do 200 situps each day, now I can't even do one.
My whole spine is degenerated with arthritis and I have six herniated discs.
I would love to be able to work on my abs. I do squeezes, but that's about
all.

Nada

Old July 25th 03, 10:54 PM
Nada

Oh my god...I hurt just hearing your story. It is amazing you are still
standing, much less walking. Muscle spasms are just awful. I see a pain
management doctor (psysiatrist). He shoots botox into my muscles to relieve
muscle spams. It's the only thing that helps me. Botox deadens muscle,
hence the pain is gone. It used to last only 12 weeks, but now it's double
that. I checked this out thoroughly as I was reluctant. I'm not someone
who can take pain medication, so I was lucky to find this.

I hope you get continued relief and benefits from your walking. Feel free
to talk to me any time. I understand! This is really a nice group!

Nada

p.s. I found a great pair of shoes for walking/hiking. They are made my
Merrill. They are a bit expensive, but the support to my legs and low back
is amazing.

Old July 26th 03, 06:23 AM
Beverly

"sixx" wrote in message
. ca...
[...]

Congratulations on the weight loss. 6 lbs is great.

My doctor suggested the following stretching exercise for my lower back
pain. While you're laying on the floor pull the knees one at a time to your
chest - it stretches the muscles in the lower back. I took a bad dive off a
high dive at the age of nine and have had lower back problems off and on for
years. I also have a slight difference in the length of my legs which puts
a strain on the lower back. This is relieved with a 1/2 inch wedge in the
heel of most shoes.

I too have a job that requires I sit most of the day. I try to get up from
the desk and take a short walk each hour. Another thing that helps while
sitting at the desk is to spread the legs slightly apart and bend toward the
floor as far as you can - people will think you're trying to pick something
up off the floor g This stretches the muscles in the lower back, too.

I'm glad to hear the shoes helped with the leg pain.

Beverly