Scottish mountains - how on earth can anyone pronounce them?

Old December 15th 04, 07:18 PM
AndyP

"BeauGeste" wrote

1. Ignore Ralph Storer! Before I became a munro-bagger I followed his
routes and climbed the middle 2 peaks of the South Shiel Ridge. Middle
two? What use was that!! Any decent guide would have told you to get
off your bum and do the whole ridge, 7 munros and all. Which I did
several years later, feeling aggrieved that I was having to repeat a
couple because of Ralph Storer.

Ralph does say in '100 Best Routes...' "The South Glen Shiel Ridge contains
no less than seven Munros, which can easily be ticked off in a day...". I
haven't done all the route up Aonach Air Chrith he describes but the knife
edge section of it which you'd miss out if you just bagged the Munro
traversing the main ridge is quite spectacular as I remember from several
years ago. Some of his routes are certainly best ignored but I don't think
that's one of them.

Old December 15th 04, 08:12 PM
Peewiglet

On Wed, 15 Dec 2004 11:21:55 -0000, "bob watkinson"
wrote:

"spongebob" wrote in message

"BeauGeste" wrote

3. Finally, more to the point, I just try and pronounce the Scottish
hills in English. So when I've taken a pic on my digital I press the
record button and say 'This is me at the top of 'Sgoor Fuooar Fuill'
(Sgurr Fhuar-thuill). Totally mispronounced, of course, but what the
hell, eh. As long as it means something to you.

Kewl! Shurely you mean Sgur Fooar-thuil? ;-)

Graham

Lets all try to annoy BeauGeste after 3. 1 - 2 - 3 KEWL!!!

:-)

fx: whispers... Kewl...

Best wishes,
--
,,
(**)PeeWiglet~~
Old December 15th 04, 08:25 PM
RJ Webb

Whats the problem?

Cobbler, Saddle, Broad Law ....

Richard Webb
Old December 15th 04, 08:25 PM
RJ Webb

Just wait 'til you start on Wales!

That is the easiest country in the world for pronouncable hill
names... I miss them as I struggle with Meallan Liath Coire Mhic
Dhughaill and Ben Tee.

Richard Webb
Old December 15th 04, 08:28 PM
SteveO

On Wed, 15 Dec 2004 19:12:53 +0000, Peewiglet
wrote:

Lets all try to annoy BeauGeste after 3. 1 - 2 - 3 KEWL!!!

:-)

fx: whispers... Kewl...

KKKEEEWWWLLL!!!

Kewl is just one of the Coolest wurdz, after Cool I'd say, akshally
no, I'd put Kewl! Before Kewl and both before Cool!

SteveO
--
NE Climbers & walkers chat forum;
http://www.thenmc.org.uk/phpBB2/index.php

NMC website: http://www.thenmc.org.uk
Old December 15th 04, 09:13 PM
Sandy Birrell

Tony Buckley wrote:
Michael Farthing wrote

And quite right too. Just to recap then Michael, you pronounce
Liathach how...?

:-)

Good, that's how it was meant!

Llee ach
[ie. It follows Farthing Para 1: "if in doubt, miss it out" - but
only _generally_ ].

Somewhere in the dark recesses of my mind I remember an interview with
Sorley Maclean, the Gaelic poet, and in it he was asked how various place
names should be pronounced, Liathach was one of them. If I remember right he
said it depended on where the gaelic speaker came from but the general
pronounciation and that used by the locals was Lia Gach, the 'g' being a
sort of stop of the tounge on the back of the pallet like a soft 'c' as in
loch.

As you can see by this map of 1832 it was spelt Leagach.

http://193.130.15.3:80/lizardtech/is...d=700&hei=500&

shorter link
http://makeashorterlink.com/?O2223690A

--

Don`t Worry, Be Happy

Sandy
--

E-Mail:-
Website:-

Old December 15th 04, 09:42 PM
Phil Cook

On Wed, 15 Dec 2004 20:13:41 GMT, Sandy Birrell wrote:

As you can see by this map of 1832 it was spelt Leagach.

http://193.130.15.3:80/lizardtech/is...d=700&hei=500&

shorter link
http://makeashorterlink.com/?O2223690A

I like that spelling of Bealach :-)
Old December 15th 04, 09:43 PM
Roy

"Phil Cook" wrote in message
On 14 Dec 2004 16:41:20 -0800, BeauGeste wrote:

1. Ignore Ralph Storer! Before I became a munro-bagger I followed his
routes and climbed the middle 2 peaks of the South Shiel Ridge. Middle
two? What use was that!! Any decent guide would have told you to get
off your bum and do the whole ridge, 7 munros and all. Which I did
several years later, feeling aggrieved that I was having to repeat a
couple because of Ralph Storer.

Fine. But Storer never said his book was intended for Munro Baggers
did he? No, just the best 100 routes on Scottish Mountains. He's a bit
over-keen on steep (do I someone say precipitous?) grass slopes for
descent but that book is one of the best of it's kind.

I was going to say that's why Storer didn't call his book "Munro bagging for
purile tickers" but you sort of beat me to it.

Kewl!!!

Roy.

Old December 15th 04, 09:50 PM
Sandy Birrell

Phil Cook wrote:
On Wed, 15 Dec 2004 20:13:41 GMT, Sandy Birrell wrote:

As you can see by this map of 1832 it was spelt Leagach.

http://193.130.15.3:80/lizardtech/is...d=700&hei=500&

shorter link
http://makeashorterlink.com/?O2223690A

I like that spelling of Bealach :-)

An english speaker writing down names as he hears them pronounced by the
people of the area, as you read through old maps you come across some
crackers

--

Don`t Worry, Be Happy

Sandy

Old December 15th 04, 10:14 PM
Phil Cook

On Wed, 15 Dec 2004 20:50:32 GMT, Sandy Birrell wrote:

Phil Cook wrote:
On Wed, 15 Dec 2004 20:13:41 GMT, Sandy Birrell wrote:

As you can see by this map of 1832 it was spelt Leagach.

http://193.130.15.3:80/lizardtech/is...d=700&hei=500&

shorter link
http://makeashorterlink.com/?O2223690A

I like that spelling of Bealach :-)

An english speaker writing down names as he hears them pronounced by the
people of the area, as you read through old maps you come across some
crackers

I've just had a look at the Scotish Library maps online and have found
Ben Liughach on Bartholomew's 1892 map.

How do you get to the URL to show a specific area of map Sandy?