Need advice on recumbent exercise bike!

Old December 4th 03, 05:54 PM
Dave K.

Default Need advice on recumbent exercise bike!

I'm searching for a recumbent exercise bike for my 73-year-old mother. She
doesn't want to spend a lot on a deluxe model (can she get a decent one for
$200 or less?), and she doesn't particularly want the fancy
computer-controlled resistance programs, just a manual knob to control the
resistance is fine. She also wants one where the flywheel is fully enclosed,
so it's quieter, which rules out "fan" bikes.

I know we want to avoid the ultra-cheap models. I've seen a few of the
models under $150 at Sears and SportMart and have noticed that they don't
pedal smoothly at all. We've also checked the used sports equipment stores,
but all of their models seem super expensive or super cheap ... nothing in
between.

Does anyone have tips on what to look for on a recumbent exercise bike?

I've heard I should look for a heavy flywheel, but most bikes I've seen
don't list the weight off their flywheels. For smoothness of pedaling, I've
noticed that on the better ones, if you pedal with little resistance and
suddenly take your feet off the pedals, the flywheel keeps turning for quite
some time. Is this because the flywheel is heavier, bigger, or just made
better? Does the size of the flywheel matter? On the cheap models that don't
pedal smoothly, when you pedal and then take your feet off, the flywheel
stops turning almost immediately. The cheap models also seem to have smaller
flywheels. Is it better to have a bigger flywheel, or is the weight of it
more important?

What other features should we look for in a recumbent bike? Is magnetic
resistance the only way to go?

What brands of bikes offer good quality that doesn't break the bank?

Is there anyplace on the Internet that offers good exercise bikes at prices
that you can't get locally, either used or new?

Lastly, I see that SportMart has a Linex G3 x5.48 recumbent magnetic bike
(see
http://www.sportmart.com/product/ind...entPage=search)
on sale for $190, regularly $250. Is this bike a good one for the price?

Thanks in advance for your help and tips!!

Dave K.

--
NOTE: Please delete the word "REMOVE" from my e-mail address when replying.
This is a spam guard.

Old December 4th 03, 06:35 PM
HomeFitnessHQ

I have a tip-

Take her to your local fitness retailer (not Sears or Sports Authority) and
have her sit on the bikes. None of them will do any good if they are
uncomfortable and she can't sit on them long enough to benefit.

You should be able to find a specialty retailer under Exercise Equipment in
your local yellow pages.

Hope that helps.