DC Training (long)

Old November 5th 03, 02:10 PM
T-REx

Default DC Training (long)

Was originally 3 articles, but I condensed it.

================================

It is so tough to talk about training when I am not in front of someone. In
real life or at my gym people will see me or someone I train and be
convinced that my system works very well. And in person I can explain how it
all fits together. But for some reason giving an opinion on training online
offends a lot of bodybuilders. It is like a blow to their ego as if your
putting them down or telling them they don't know how to train. And then you
get every HIT, periodization, and brainwashed Wieder principle disciple
arguing with me why their method is the best and I am wrong. People get
****ed if they think what they might be doing training wise is wrong or not
the most productive. It's human nature.

I can continually turn 170lb guys (who go along with me 100%) into 260lb
plus monsters over and over but I cannot help guys who are 190-230lbs who
are stuck in their ways. Those guys can continue to take the long road or
never get there. In the past months since I've put my methods out there to
view, I continue to hear different arguments against my way of training. Hey
it's radically different than the norm and like I said people can't stand to
think what they are presently doing training wise isn't the best! So far I'
ve heard the usual gamut (overtraining, undertraining, undervolume, CNS
saturation). One guy who said "not enough stimulation per workout"-sadly he
has confused volume to equal gains. WRONG!!! If volume = gains go head and
do 100 hard sets per bodypart and do each bodypart once every 3 weeks.
Please tell me what incredible gains you get.

To me all this is an egotistical way to debunk a radically different
method because you don't want to believe what your presently doing is
incorrect or 'slower gaining'. No one is overtraining or undertraining that
I train. Every bodybuilder that I have trained has gained at least 47lbs!
This sport is full of fragile egos, pseudo-experts, armchair bicep curlers.
I am a very advanced bodybuilder but the only thing I am conceited about is
I truly believe I could take anybody reading this and turn them into a
4.0lbs per inch bodybuilder. I love taking a humble bodybuilder who doubts
his genetics and making him the largest guy in his gym. That is so fun for
me. I love the people who whisper in the corners that "he must be loaded to
the hilt" yet he is on the same things they are. I love hearing the petty
jealousy and anger that comes over other bodybuilders now that the guy I
trained is the big boy on the block. I'm not pushing my methods on anyone. I
want you to decide for yourself with deductive reasoning. But if you have
been lifting for 4-5 years and people aren't commenting, stating or asking
questions about you being a bodybuilder on a daily basis-I think that's
embarrassing and you might want to question if what you are doing training
wise has merit to it. I only train hardcore bodybuilders (and some fitness
girls) down here in So Cal. (its not my main job--I turn down about 90% of
people due to my own personal reasons--which are mostly after interviewing
them I feel they wont do what I say 100%) I am very, very good at turning
normal people into the biggest bodybuilders in their area. I've trained 7
people bodybuilding wise in the last 4 years (5 used super supplements 2
were clean). Every one of those people gained at least 47lbs on their
bodyweight at roughly the same or less bodyfat.

1)188 to 260(2.5 years)

2)172 to 254 (3 years)

3)208 to 261(clean! genetic mesomorph 1 year)

4)218 to 275 (cut his juice in half, doubled his protein, showed him how to
train correctly-2 years)

I don't like to comment on others training philosophies directly because
they get so offended if you don't agree with them. I believe when you make
something too complicated or hard people don't want to follow it. I believe
the baseline training protocol for bodybuilding is "progression" and
whatever training is needed to get stronger (and therefore bigger). Here is
my personal opinion on volume training...it's a way for people who cannot
generate inhuman intensity during a set to make gains. If that seems like a
"putdown" so be it, I am sorry. Volume training to me is the long way to
achieve trauma whereas there are shorter more productive ways of going about
it.

If you were a world class sprinter with a time a couple tenths off the
world record what would you do to break the mark? Would you run 5k races and
repeated sprints at 60% intensity for hours at a time? Would that make you
any faster? Or would you push the intensity limits with a wind bearing
running parachute and do explosive sprints as hard as you can? You tell me.

I say 60% intensity with volume training because I know this: You cannot
do 20 sets for a bodypart at a balls to the wall all out intensity-it's
impossible. I know this about myself, if I truly squat with everything I
have (where its rep or death), with an extremely heavy weight and at 12reps
I want to quit.....but somehow, someway I make myself do 13, then the 14th,
the 15th--my face is now beet red and I'm breathing like a locomotive yet I
'will' myself to do another rep, another, another---with two more reps to go
till 20, I feel faint but I am going to ****ing do it because "I am not
driving my car home thinking how I pussed out and didn't make
it"....19.....and 20 goes up agonizing slow and I am thinking to myself "oh
please, please go up"----done! Ten minutes later I couldn't even attempt
to try to duplicate that. Not even close. I bet I would make it to maybe 14
reps tops. If you could duplicate that same set you are a robot.

Ninety percent of people in gyms around the world are doing some form of
volume training but besides the rare genetically elite and heavy steroid
users, why does everyone stay the same size year after year? (With volume
training you see a lot of overtraining, joint injuries and people who are
burning up all their energy stores) If you can't train at above normal
intensity levels I feel volume training is beneficial to cause trauma (hey
it works for genetic freaks like Flex Wheeler and Paul Dillett--two half-ass
60% trainers if that). Too bad with their incredible genetics that they don'
t have the hardcore mindset of a Yates or Coleman who bypass them by force
of willpower and effort. Personally I like the shortest route at the
shortest time possible to get someplace. Do I think my way of training is
the best? For myself and the people I train-yes. I have no way to gauge
others intensity levels online. Someone training at 90% intensity for 6 sets
is going to get more out of it than Joe Blow who is doing 20 sets per
bodypart at forty percent. In the simplest terms, no matter what way you
train-if you are way stronger than last year, 6 months ago, 3 months ago,
last month, last week you are getting continually bigger no doubt about it.
A lot of modern day training has been evolved pretty much from what Arnold
and bodybuilders of the 60's did---and Arnold just winged it--there was no
thought provoking science there. I want people to think their training out.

1)If you train a bodypart every day you will overtrain and not get larger

2)If you train a bodypart once a month you will not overtrain but you will
only be growing 12 times a year besides the atrophy between workouts (pretty
much a snails pace)

3)If you train with 30 sets a bodypart it will take you a great deal of time
to recover from that besides using up a great deal of energy and protein
resources doing it (and maybe even muscle catabolism will take place)

4)If you train one set for a very easy 8 reps per bodypart you could train
that bodypart more often but you didn't tax yourself to get larger.

So what is the answer? I'll tell you the answer! The answer is doing the
least amount of heavy intense training that makes you dramatically stronger
(bigger) so you can recover and train that bodypart the most times in a year
(frequency). If you can train/recover/GROW, train/recover/GROW,
train/recover/GROW as many times as possible in a years time--you will be
essentially gaining twice as fast as the bodybuilders around you.

Ok back to my training concepts-I've stated how my whole goal is to
continually get stronger on key exercises which equals getting continually
bigger. I will state this, the method I am about to describe to you is what
I have found that makes people grow at the absolutely fastest rate possible
and why I am being inundated down in this area to train people. It's going
to go against the grain but I'm making people grow about 2 times as fast the
normal rate so bear with me.

A typical workout for the masses is (lets use chest for an example)
doing a bodypart once every 7 days and sometimes even once every 9 days or
more. This concept came to the front due to recovery reasoning and I agree
with most typical workouts your going to need a great deal of recovery. Here
's the problem, lets say you train chest once a week for a year and you
hypothetically gain 1/64 of an inch in pectoral thickness from each workout.
At the end of the year you should be at 52/64 (or 13/16 ). Almost an inch of
thickness (pretty good).

To build muscle we are trying to lift at a high enough intensity and
load to grow muscle but with enough recovery so the muscle remodels and
grows. The problem is everyone is loading up on the volume end of training
and its taking away from the recovery part of it. Incredible strength GAINS
will equal incredible size GAINS. And you sure as hell don't need to do 3-5
exercises and 10-20 sets per bodypart to do that! In actuality you really
don't need to do much to grow. As long as your training weights continue to
rocket upward you will always be gaining muscle. If you go in and do squats
using your ultimate effort with 405lbs for 20 reps are you going to say you'
re not going to grow from that? If you went all out on that effort, I'm
sorry but throwing hacks, leg press, leg extensions and lunges into that
same workout is going to do nothing but royally lengthen your recovery
process when you were already going to grow in the first place.

You can train in a way so you can train a bodypart 3 times every nine to
fourteen days and you will recover and grow faster than ever before. If you
train chest 3 times in 9-14 days you are now doing chest roughly 91-136
times a year! So instead of 40-52 growth phases with regular once a week
training you are now getting 91-136 growth phases a year. I personally would
rather grow 91-136 times a year than 40-52 times a year. At a hypothetical
1/64th of an inch per workout you are now at 136/64 (or roughly 2.1 inches
of thickness). So now you're growing at roughly two times as fast as normal
people who are doing modern day workouts are. Most people train chest with 3
to 4 exercises and wait the 7-9 days to recover and that is one growth
phase. I use the same three exercises in that same 9-14 days but do chest 3
times during that (instead of once) and get 3 growth phases. How? Super
heavy weights for low low volume so you can recover and train that bodypart
again as quickly as possible.

Everyone knows a muscle either contracts or doesn't, you cannot isolate
a certain part of it (you can get into positions that present better
mechanical advantages though that puts a focus on certain deep muscle
fibers)--for example incline presses vs flat presses. One huge mistake
beginning bodybuilders make is they have a "must" principle instilled in
them. They feel they "must" do this exercise and that exercise or they won't
grow.

This is how I set bodybuilders workouts up. I have them pick either
their 3 favorite exercises for each bodypart or better yet the exercises
they feel will bring up their weaknesses the most. For me my chest exercises
are high incline smith machine press, hammer seated flat press and slight
incline smith press with hands very, very wide----this is because I look at
my physique and I feel my problem area is upper and outer pecs---that is my
focus. What you do is take these three exercises and rotate them, using only
one per chest workout. I would do high incline smith on my first chest day,
then 3-4 days later I would do hammer seated flat press on my second chest
day. Three to four days after that wide grip slight incline smith press
would be done and then the whole cycle is repeated again in 3-4 days.

Whenever I train someone new I have them do the following --4 times
training in 8 days---with straight sets. Sometimes with rest pause sets but
we have to gauge the recovery ability first.

Day one would be Monday and would be:

Chest

shoulders

triceps

back width

back thickness

Day two would be Wednesday and would be

biceps

forearms

calves

hams

quads

Day three would be Friday and would be the same as day one but with
different exercises

chest

shoulders

triceps

back width

back thickness

(sat+sun off)

Day four would be the following Monday and would be the same as day two but
with different exercises

biceps

forearms

calves

hams

quads

and so on Wenesday, Friday, Monday, Wenesday etc.

You're hitting every bodypart twice in 8 days. The volume on everything is
simply as many warmup sets as you need to do- to be ready for your ONE work
set. That can be two warmup sets for a small muscle group or five warmup
sets for a large muscle group on heavy exercise like rack deadlifts. The ONE
work set is either a straight set or a rest pause set (depending on your
recovery abilities again). For people on the lowest scale of recovery its
just that one straight set---next up is a straight set with statics for
people with slightly better than that recovery----next up is rest pausing
(on many of the of movements) with statics for people with middle of the
road recovery on up.

As you progress as a bodybuilder you need to take even more rest time and
recovery time. READ THAT AGAIN PLEASE AS YOU PROGRESS AS A BODYBUILDER IN
SIZE AND STRENGTH YOU NEED TO TAKE EVEN MORE REST AND RECOVERY TIME.
EXAMPLE: My recovery ability is probably slightly better now than when I
started lifting 13 years ago but only slightly...but back then I was
benching 135lbs and squatting 155lbs in my first months of lifting. Now I am
far and away the strongest person in my gym using poundages three to six
times greater than when I first started lifting. With my recovery ability
being what it is both then and now, do you think I need more time to recover
from a 155lb squat for 8 reps or a 500LB squat for 8 reps? Obviously the
answer is NOW! Yet remember this-the more times you can train a bodypart in
a years time and recover will mean the fastest growth possible! I've done
the training a bodypart every 10 days system in the past and while
recovering from that--the gains were so slow over time I got frustrated and
realized the frequency of growth phases(for me)was to low. I want to gain
upwards of 104 times a year instead of 52--the fastest rate that I can
accumulate muscle (YET AGAIN WITHIN ONES RECOVERY ABILITY-I CANT SAY THAT
ENOUGH)

I have been slowly changing my philosophies of training over the past 13
years to where I am now. I've been gaining so fast the last couple of years
it's been pretty amazing. I've got my training down to extremely low volume
(a rest pause set or ONE straight set) with extreme stretching, and with
recovery issues always in the back of my mind. I realize the number one
problem in this sport that will make or break a bodybuilder is overtraining.
Simply as this--you overtrain your done as a bodybuilder gainswise. Kaput.
Zip. A waste of valuable time. But I also think there is a problem with
underfrequency (only if you can train hardcore enough with extremely low
volume to recover). I skirt right along the line of overtraining--I am right
there...I've done everything in my power (Stretching, glutamine, "super
supplements", sleep)to keep me on this side of the line and its worked for
me. I believe everyone has different recovery abilities--the job of a
bodybuilder is to find out what their individual recovery ability is and do
the least amount of hardcore training to grow so they can train that
bodypart as frequently as possible. For anyone who wants to follow my lead
that would mean starting out with straight sets training 4 times in 8 days
and strictly gauging yourself recovery wise with every step up you take
(statics, rest pauses)--I would rather you wait until my next article comes
out to go over the details of this kind of training before you attempt
it--as its important to me that everyone who wants to do this does it
correctly.

Dogg is presently training people online with daily emails to them and an A
to Z approach with diet supplementation training and recovery. He is
expensive but he wants to be because he doesn't want to train a lot of
people at once (Four at once is his limit). His first client has been
lifting for 3 years with limited success but in 7 weeks with Dogg has gone
from 183lbs at 7.5% bodyfat to 205lbs at 7.7% bodyfat. At the end of 10
weeks he should be around 216lbs or so and onward. Dogg is also online
training 2 superheavyweight national competitors who came to him to put on
pro size muscle. They will make an even bigger splash than what they already
have accomplished. His flat fee is 400 dollars for everything designed
(diet, training, supplementation) and then constant emails to you for at
least 2 months monitoring and adjusting your progress. He does a strict
interview first to see if you have the makeup and mindset of the person he
wants to train. He turns away people who he doesn't believe will go at it or
listen to him 100 percent. If 400 dollars equals out to the 40-60lbs of
muscle Dogg puts on people repeatedly to you-- then you can contact him at

I Bodybuilding as a whole is extreme and you must go to extreme lengths to
be an out of the ordinary bodybuilder in this activity. The human body in no
way wants to be 270 to 330 lbs of extreme muscularity. It wants to be a
comfortable 155 to 180 lbs and will do a lot to keep a person at that
homeostasis level. Jon Parillo was on the right track years ago when he was
trying to make bodybuilders into food processing factories. It takes extreme
amounts of food (protein), extremely heavy weights, sometimes extreme
supplementation, (the choice) of extreme drugs, and other extreme situations
to take a person who by evolution and genetics should be 180 pounds and make
him into a hardcore 3 hundred pounds. OK first I have to go over some
principles I believe in regarding training and I'll hit more on training
details later on.

a) I believe he who makes the greatest strength gains (in a controlled
fashion) as a bodybuilder, makes the greatest muscle gains. Note: I said
strength gains--everyone knows someone naturally strong who can bench 400
yet isn't that big. Going from a beginning 375 bench to 400 isn't that great
of a strength gain and won't result in much of a muscle gain. But if I show
you someone who went from 150 to 400 on a bench press, that guy will have
about 2.5 inches more of muscle thickness on his pecs. That is an incredible
strength gain and will equal out into an incredible muscle gain. Ninety-nine
percent of bodybuilders are brainwashed that they must go for a blood pump
and are striving for that effect--(go up and down on your calves 500 times
and tell me if your calves got any bigger). And those same 99% in a gym stay
the same year after year. It's because they have no plan, they go in, get a
pump and leave. They give the body no reason to change. Powerbodybuilders
and powerlifters plan to continually get stronger and stronger on key
movements. The body protects itself from ever increasing loads by getting
muscularly bigger=adaption. I'M going to repeat this and hammer it home
because of its importance: THE PEOPLE WHO MAKE THE GREATEST STRENGTH GAINS
OVER TIME WILL MAKE THE GREATEST SIZE GAINS OVER TIME ACCORDING TO THEIR
GENETIC POTENTIAL. If you reading this never get anywhere close to your
ultimate strength levels (AT WHATEVER REP RANGE) you will never get to your
utmost level of potential size.

b) I haven't seen a guy who can squat 500 for 20 reps, bench press 500 for
15 and deadlift 500 for 15 who was small yet ---but I have seen a lot and I
mean a lot of people in the gym and on these Internet forums that are a buck
65 or two and change, shouting that you don't have to lift heavy to get big
(in rare cases you will see a naturally strong powerlifter who has to curb
calories to stay in a weight class and that is the reason he doesn't get
bigger).

c) Training is all about adaption. In simple terms you lift a weight and
your muscle has one of 2 choices, either tear completely under the load
(which is incredibly rare and what we don't want) or the muscle lifts the
weight and protects itself by remodeling and getting bigger to protect
itself against the load (next time). If the weight gets heavier, the muscle
has to again remodel and get bigger again to handle it. You can superset,
superslow, giant set, pre exhaust all day long but the infinite adaption is
load---meaning heavier and heavier weights is the only infinite thing you
can do in your training. Intensity is finite. Volume is finite (or infinite
if you want to do 9000 sets per bodypart)...everything else is finite. The
Load is infinite and heavier and heavier weights used (I DON'T GIVE A CRAP
WHAT SOME BUCK 58 POUND WRITER FROM FLEX MAGAZINE SAYS) will make the
biggest bodybuilder (add high protein, glutamine and drugs to the mix and
you have one large person).

d) The largest pro bodybuilders in the last 10 years (outside of Paul
Dillett who is a genetic alien and I think could grow off of mowing lawns)
are also the very strongest (Kovacs, Prince, Coleman, Yates, Francois,
Nasser (although he trains lighter now). For anyone who argues that they
have seen so and so pro bodybuilder and he trains light---well I will bet
you he isn't gaining rapid size anymore and that his greatest size increases
were when he was training **** heavy going for his pro card. Of course he
will convince himself and others that he is "making the best gains of his
career" though because no one likes to think what they are presently doing
isn't working and they are running in place. Sadly heavy drug use can make
up for a lot of training fallacies and leave people still uninformed on how
they became massive. Ronnie Coleman is definitely in an elite class of
muscle building genetically yet do you see him doing isolation exercises
with light weights to be the most massive bodybuilder on this planet? NOPE!
Ever see his video? 805 deadlifts for 2 reps, 765 for 6 reps deads, front
squats with 600LBS for 6, 200LB dumbbells being thrown all over the place
for chest, military presses 315 for 12 and a double with 405. I believe
Coleman was clean or close to it when he was powerlifting and when he was an
amateur bodybuilder. He won the Natural Team Universe and got his pro card
at roughly 220-230LBS shredded to the bone and if that was natural or close
to it--that's about 270LBS offseason and would be a huge natural
bodybuilder. Since that time he has hooked up with Chad Nichols and blasted
(with juice) up to his current 265LBS contest weight and 320LBS offseason.
He trains heavier now than he ever did! The man has used extremely heavy
weights and powerlifting fundamentals (even with his superior genetics for
muscle size) to become the most impressive bodybuilder walking the globe.
Well, if the man with some of the best genetics to build muscle out there is
using back breaking weights trying to get bigger isn't that more of a reason
the mere mortals of genetics in this sport should maybe take note? There are
other pros out there with genetics on par with Coleman and using the same
amount of drugs yet aren't pushing the limits with poundage's in training as
does Coleman. You figure it out then, why is he absolutely crushing everyone
onstage by outmuscling them if all things besides training are equal?

e) Who is the last incredibly massive bodybuilder you have seen (juice or
not) who couldn't incline 405, squat 550, deadlift 550. I am talking
freak-massive ALA Dorian, Kovacs, Francois, etc.....there are slew of guys
in gyms using mega amounts of steroids on par with pros who are no where
close to a pro's size, some with mediocre genetics, yet some with superb
genetics. But the pro's using weights that are up there in the stratosphere
are by and large the most freakish. These are pros we are talking about, who
all have superior genetics for muscle accumulation. Do you think Yates,
Francois, Cormier etc all just had natural genetics for incredible strength,
not ever having to work for it? Jean Paul Guilliame is the only clean
professional bodybuilder I ever trusted to be truly natural. The man is a
smaller pro training without the juice yet trains incredibly heavy for his
size--405LB squats rock bottom for up to 20 reps and his wheels are
incredible. Flex Wheeler and Cris Cormier are the same height, the drugs are
equal, Flex trains light, Cormier trains heavy. Cormier outweighs Wheeler
onstage by 30LBS! Genetically, Wheeler is unsurpassed in pro bodybuilding, I
think you already know the answer to this one--case closed. I usually don't
like to use pro bodybuilders for examples but in these cases, my points are
proven.

For those training clean-if you got guys doing massive amounts of steroids
in gyms around America, who are not putting on appreciable size because they
train with light weights, what in your right mind could make you think you
will gain appreciable amounts of muscle mass as a natural training light?!?!
One million people in the United States have admitted to using steroids--1
million!!! That is one out of every 300 people walking around. How many big
people do you see out there? Not many. It sure isn't close to 1 million----
because 98% of bodybuilders have no clue what needs to be done training and
eating wise to become elite.

f) Please think of the times when you made the best size gains---the first
time is in the first 2 years of lifting WHEN YOU MAKE YOUR BEST STRENGTH
GAINS TOO! Then things start to slow down.. What's the next time?--You start
using steroids and boom what happens? YOUR TRAINING WEIGHTS GO FLYING UP.
And you get dramatically bigger! (I'M taking into effect protein
assimilation, recovery etc also). The greatest strength gains you make will
result in also the most rapid size gains (if you're taking in the protein
requirements of a 12 year old girl scout then you can discount yourself from
the above group).

g) I believe in Powerbuilding not bodybuilding--using techniques that build
the most strength gains in the fastest time possible while using the most
effective exercises for that person. I am positive I could take 2
twins--have the first one do his own thing training wise, but using the same
drugs, supplements and nutrition as the twin I train......come back a year
later and the twin I trained would have 25LBS more muscle.

h) I've seen powerlifters (who catch a lot of guff from bodybuilders for
being "fat") diet down and come in and destroy bodybuilders in bodybuilding
shows time and time again. Over and over. Powerlifters and Powerbodybuilders
are by far the thickest guys onstage when and if they decide to enter
bodybuilding shows.

i) Heavy is relative--it doesn't mean 3 reps --- it means as heavy as you
can go on that exercise no matter if it is 5 reps or 50 reps. I personally
like to do hack squats for 20 reps but I use about 6 plates on each side
rock bottom--that's as heavy as I can go on that exercise for 20 reps. I
could do sets of 6 and probably use maybe 8 or 9 plates a side but my legs
(and most people I train) grow best from heavy and 8-50 reps. The day you
can squat 400LBS for 20 deep reps will be the day you are no longer
complaining about your leg size.

j) No matter what the method someone uses to gain super strength gains-it's
imperative they do so. Again if you put someone out on a deserted island
with 135LBS of weights he can superset, giant set, high rep, superslow etc
etc squats, deadlifts and benches to his hearts delight...the sad story is
his gains will quickly come to a halt because his limiting factor is the
amount of strength he will gain. He has 135LBS to work with. You take that
same guy on a deserted island and give him squats deadlifts, and benches and
an unlimited weight supply that he constantly pushes, in 5 years I'll show
you a big Gilligan.

k) I think the biggest fallacy in bodybuilding is "changing up" "keeping the
body off balance"--you can keep the body off balance by always using
techniques or methods that give your body a reason to get bigger=strength.
If you don't write down your weights and every time you enter the gym you go
by feel and do a different workout (like 98% of the gym members who never
change do now) what has that done? Lets say Mr. Hypothetical gym member does
235 for 9 on the bench press this week, "tries to keep his body guessing" by
doing 80LBS for 13 on flyes next week, 205 for 11 on inclines the week
after, 245 on hammer press for 12 the week after that --and so on and so
on---there is only a limited number of exercises you can do. Two months
later when he does bench presses again and does 235 for 8 or 9 has he gained
anything? Absolutely NOT! Four months later he does hammer presses for 245
for 11 (again) do you think he has given his body any reason to change? Take
2 twins and have one do a max squat for 20 reps and the other twin giant set
4 leg exercises with the same weight. All year long have the first twin
blast away until he brings his squat with 20 reps from 185LBS to 400LBS.
Have the second twin giant set four exercises every workout with the same
weight he used in his first workout all year long. Believe me he is always
going to be sore and he will be shocking the body every time but the sad
truth is he will not gain **** after about the third leg workout because the
load didn't change. There is no reason for his legs to grow in size due to
the strength demand presented. The first twin who can now squat 400 for 20
is going to have some incredible wheels.

l) I use a certain method in my training because in my opinion it is the
utmost method to rapidly gain strength. More on that later. Others might
like a different method, that's up to them, doesn't matter as long as they
are rapidly gaining strength. If you're gaining appreciable strength on an
exercise with a certain method I think the ABSOLUTELY WORSE THING YOU CAN DO
is to change up right then. Take that exercise and method to its strength
limit and when you get there, then change to a different exercise and get
strong as hell on that exercise too.

m) For the next few months take note of the people you see in the gym that
never change. They will be the ones using the same weight time after time on
exercises whenever they are in the gym. These are the people who use 135,
185, 225 on the bench every time its chest day. Your best friends in the gym
are the 2.5LB plates--your very best buds!!! You put those 2.5LB plates on
that bar every time you bench press for 52 weeks and now your bench is
250LBS more at the end of the year! That would equal out to another inch to
inch + half thickness on your chest. Can it be done? Probably not at that
rate but TRYING TO DO IT will get you a lot bigger than doing what 98% of
the people in the gym do. Unless you are gifted genetically to build muscle
at a dizzying rate (most people aren't), the largest people in your gym will
also be the ones heaving up the heaviest weights. Do you think they started
out that way? No, they were probably 175 lb guys who bulldozed their way up
to that level. A perfect example are male strippers. These guys use a
boatload of drugs on par with hardcore competitive bodybuilders. After an
initial phase where they grow off of steroids like everyone else--their
growth stops (like forever). Why? Because they aren't eating 500 grams of
protein a day and don't fight and claw their way to 500LB bench presses and
700LB squats and deadlifts. They stay on the drugs for years and years while
stripping but don't go beyond that 200 to 220LB range. So much for juice
being the total equalizer. I don't know why pseudo experts try to make
training such an elite science when in actuality it's pretty cut and dry. If
you keep a training log and note your weights used for the next 5 years and
find they are still the same you will pretty much look "still the same" in 5
years. If you double all your poundage's in the next five years in
everything, your going to be one thick person .....If someone ever took a
ratio of people who don't make gains to people who do, it would be pitiful.
I would venture to say that 95% of people in gyms across this country aren't
gaining muscle and are wasting their time. The absolutely best advice I
could ever give a guy starting out lifting is "go train with an established
powerlifter" and learn all the principles he trains with. There would be a
lot more happy bodybuilders out there.

So now you guys know I believe in the heaviest training possible
(safely)---I think I hammered that home, I needed to do that because so many
bodybuilders are lost on how to get from A to Z.....it's all part of my
quest to make the biggest heavy slag iron lifting, high protein eating,
stretching and recuperating massive bodybuilders I can.-- till next
time-DOGG

Now to get into specifics regarding training. Stay with me here. You are
only doing one exercise per muscle group per day. You are doing your first
favorite exercise for chest on day one, you're doing your second favorite
exercise for chest the next time chest training rolls around and then your
third favorite exercise for chest the time after that when chest training
rolls around. Then you repeat the entire sequence again. You're doing the
same exercises you would be doing anyway in a 7-14 days time and training
chest 3 times in that same period with minimal sets so you can recover. You
cannot do a 3-5 exercise, 10-20 set chest workout and recover to train chest
again 3-4 days later. It's absolutely impossible!! But you can come in and
do 2-5 warmup sets up to your heaviest set and then do ONE working set
(either straight set or rest paused) all out on that exercise then recover
and grow and be ready again 3-4 days later. This kind of training will have
you growing as fast as humanly possible. Again the simple equation is "the
most times per year you can train a body part incredibly heavy, with major
strength gains, and recover will equal out to the fastest accumulation of
muscle mass possible".

Why don't most pros do this kind of training? Why don't you?!?! Because
every form of training has been taught to someone, passed down from the
magazines for decades with no thought out rhyme or reasons. Every form of
modern day training stems from what the guys in the 60's and Arnold was
doing. Finally Yates and some others got people thinking about what truly is
working when it comes to training. If you think about it-it's ridiculous
some of these recommended routines in the magazines. Most training comes
from peoples egos. People are so driven and desperate to get big that they
believe they MUST do this and MUST do that every workout. Thirty sets here,
with multiple exercises to hit every angle there. You know what that does?
It dramatically cuts into your recovery ability (never mind amino acid pools
and glycogen stores) so you cannot train that body part again in a couple
days time. That defeats the purpose of rapid accumulation of muscle mass.
I'll state this as a matter of fact because I believe it's true. I believe
if you, the person reading this, trained the way I am recommending, you will
be 20-40lbs of muscle larger in 3 years than if you kept training the way
you are presently training. If that offends you or seems ballsy to state-SO
BE IT!!! I've done enough studying and real life experimentation on aspiring
bodybuilders to state that.

To start-Three key exercises are picked for each body part. USING ONLY ONE
OF THOSE EXERCISES PER WORKOUT you rotate these in order and take that
exercise to it's ultimate strength limit (where at that certain point you
change the exercise to a new one and get brutally strong on that new
movement too). That can happen in 4 weeks or that can happen 2 years later
but it will happen some time (You cannot continually gain strength to where
you are eventually bench pressing 905 for reps obviously) Sometime later
when you come back to that original exercise you will start slightly lower
than your previous high and then soar past it without fail.

Some principles I believe in:

A) I believe rest pausing is the most productive way of training ever. I've
never seen a way to faster strength gains than what comes from rest pausing.
I'll use an incline smith bench with a hypothetical weight to show you my
recommended way of rest pausing.

Warmups would be 135x12, 185x10, 250x 6, 315x4 (none of these are
taxing--they are just getting me warmed up for my all out rest pause set)

MAIN REST PAUSE SET-375x8 reps (total failure) rack the weight, then 15 deep
breathes and 375x 2 to 4 reps (total failure) rack the weight, then 15 deep
breathes and 375x 1 to 2 reps. I personally do a static right after that but
I'll explain that later. Remember every time you go to failure you always
finish on the negative portion and have your training partner help you or
rack the weight yourself. To explain further on my first rest pause above I
struggled with every iota of my strength to get that 8th rep up. At that
point instead of racking the weight up top I brought the weight down to my
chest again slowly (6 seconds) and had my training partner quickly help me
lift the weight back up to the top to rack it. That "always finishing on the
negative rep" will accrue more cellular damage over time and allow for even
greater gains.

B) Every exercise is done with a controlled but explosive positive and a
true 6-8 second negative phase. The science is there just read it. Almost
every study states an explosive positive motion is the priming phase and the
negative portion of an exercise should be done controlled and slowly. I have
the mindset that I hope you guys develop. I try so hard to get the weight up
only for the sole reason I can lower it slowly to cause eccentric phase
cellular damage.

C) Extreme Stretching: it must be done, it's imperative. It stretches fascia
and helps recovery immensely. It will dramatically change your physique in a
short amount of time if done right, trust me on that. I hit on it in the
first article of this series.

OK you guys have to use some deductive reasoning here. If I do a 375 or so
LB smith incline press rest paused for 10-15 reps with statics on Monday
morning (which is the time of day I lift) by that same Monday night, 12
hours later I am viscously sore. By Tuesday morning I am still pretty sore
but to a lesser degree. By Tuesday night I have very little soreness. By
Wednesday morning I have absolutely no soreness and Wednesday night the
same, so I could probably train chest again on Thursday no problem but I
currently wait till Friday and train chest again. If your training chest on
Monday and on Thursday your still pretty sore, a couple things are
happening--either you're training with more volume than I recommend, or
you're not extreme stretching (as recommended in my first article for AE),
or more likely your recovery ability is not your greatest asset. If the last
one is true you are going to have to take note of that and broaden the
workout days between bodyparts hit. Most of you reading this (90%) will be
able to go the Monday, Wednesday, Friday and Monday again route hitting
bodyparts twice in 8 days. A chosen few might be able to go Monday, Tuesday,
Thursday, Friday especially if they really work their extreme stretching and
get the proper rest. That's very rare though that someone can recover that
quickly even from one working set per bodypart. My recommendations are to
start out Monday, Wednesday, Friday, Monday first and gauge how that goes. I
am currently seeing that most people go best with that protocol. I know some
of you want to train a bodypart as many times as possible in a weeks time,
hell I would love to be able to train a bodypart 4 times a week and grow but
it can't be done. So this is something I can't help you on.....you need to
check yourself and find out where you are recovering and then work with
that. I can do a 20 plate leg press for reps and be sore for the next day
and a half and feel fresh and ready to go on my next leg day. High dose
glutamine has been a godsend to my recovery ability as has extreme
stretching. My training weights continue to rocket upward on everything.
What I cannot do is 3 leg exercises for multiple sets in a workout session
and recover 3-4 days later to do legs again. I think you're begging for
injury if you are still very, very sore the next time a body part comes up.

Example Day one

First exercise smith incline presses (I'll use the weights I use for
example)

135 for warmup for 12

185 for 8 warmup

250 for 6 warmup

315 for 4 warmup

Then all out with 375 for 8 reps to total absolute failure (then 12-15 deep
breaths) 375 for 2-4 reps to total absolute failure (then 12-15 deep
breaths) 375 for 1-3 reps to absolute total failure (then a 20-30 second
static hold) DONE!-that's it 375lbs for 8+4+3= 375 for 15 reps rest
paused..... next week I go for 385 (again rest paused)-----directly after
that rest pause set I go to extreme stretching flyes as described earlier
and then that's it for chest and on to shoulders, triceps and back. The next
time I come in to do chest I would do hammer flat presses in the same rest
paused manner (and then extreme stretching again)---the time after that I
come in to do chest I would do my third favorite exercise rest
paused/stretched and then the cycle repeats.

In simple terms I am using techniques with extreme high intensity(rest
pause) which I feel make a persons strength go up as quickly as possible +
low volume so I can (recover) as quickly as possible with as many growth
phases (damage/remodel/recover) I can do in a years time.

Some exercises involving legs and some back rowing exercises don't allow
themselves to rest pause too well. A sample couple of days for me would be
the following (IM not including warmup sets--just working sets).

Workout 1

CHEST: smith incline 375 x 15 reps rest pause (RP) and a 30 second static
rep at the end (then stretches)

SHOULDERS: front smith press-330 x 13 RP and 30 second static (then
stretches)

TRICEPS: reverse grip bench press 315 for 15-20 reps RP-no static (then
stretches)

BACK WIDTH: rear pulldowns to back of head 300 x 18 RP (20 second static at
end)

BACK THICKNESS: floor deadlifts straight set of 8-20 reps (then stretches
for back)

The information below is from Peter O'Hanrahan's "Body Types, Part 1". It is
a brief and incomplete description of the mesomorph's temperament.

Workout 2

BICEPS: preacher bench barbell curl RP for 14 reps and 30 second static

FOREARMS: hammer curls straight set for 15 reps (then stretches for biceps)

CALVES: on hack squat straight set for 12 reps but with a 20 second negative
phase

HAMSTRINGS: Cybex hamstring press (pressing with heels up top) RP for 20
reps

QUADS: hack squat straight set of 6 plates each side for 20 reps (of course
after warming up)

Then stretches for quads and hams.

The absolutely most important thing of any of this is I write down all
weights and reps done from the working set on a notepad. So every time I go
into the gym I have to continually look back and beat the previous times
reps/weight or both. If I can't or I don't beat it, no matter if I love
doing the exercise or not, I have to change to a new exercise. Believe me
this adds a grave seriousness, a clutch performance or imperativeness to a
workout! I have exercises I love to do and knowing I will lose them if I
don't beat the previous stats sucks! But there is a method to this madness
because when you get to that sticking point of strength (AND YOU WILL, THERE
IS NO WAY YOU CAN HACK SQUAT UP TO 50 PLATES A SIDE) that is when your
muscle=strength gains will stop. At that point you must turn to a different
exercise and then get brutally strong on that one. Then someday you will
peak out on that one too. You can always come back to that loved exercise in
the future and you'll start somewhat lower and build up to a peak again--and
trust me that peak will be far more than the previous one. Some exercises
you'll stay with and gain strength at for almost up to a year and some
exercises you'll be at the limit in 4 weeks and lose them but its all in the
plan. For example-- I love reverse grip bench presses, knowing that I have
to beat 315 for 17 reps RP or else I have to change to maybe dips next time
puts a serious sense of urgency into workouts. I either have to beat it by
doing something to the effect of 320 for 15 RP or if I stick with 315, I
have to get at least 19 reps RP or so. If I'm feeling crappy or having an
off day I might give myself a little leeway and allow myself another go at
it next time around but that's it. The notepad is your intensity level, how
badly you want to keep doing an exercise will be how hard you push to beat
the previous. Looking at that piece of paper knowing what you have to do to
beat it will bring out the best in you. Again, it's all in the plan to make
you the strongest bodybuilder possible which will equal out into the biggest
bodybuilder possible.

I find myself irritated now when people look at me and say "genetics" or
something to that effect--its amazing to me that at 19 I was 6 foot and
137lbs (yes 137) and eating 6 meals a day and people would chuckle at me the
stickboy trying to be a bodybuilder. I seriously did not miss a meal for my
first 3 and a half years, I would set my alarm at 2am and wake up and eat
scrambled eggs and pancakes if I missed a meal during the day. Two years
later I looked "normal" at 196lbs or so. Two years just to look like a
normal person! I kept bombing away, eating and not taking no as an answer
and now I am up at 300lbs and people say "you must have always been big" and
genetics. That's tough for me to hear thinking how psyched I was to weigh
more than 170 at one point. I've only trained one true mesomorph. Mesomorphs
don't need trainers usually. I train ectomorphs and endomorphs. The last 3
people I've trained have been a pudgy Mexican who was 172 (now 258lbs
hard)--a skinny marine, and a guy stuck at 188lbs for many years (now 260).
These people all thought the same thing seeing how my workouts were set
up-"am I doing enough?"--If you can show someone how to train so hard that
they realize they were holding back tremendously during their 8-20 set
workouts, that's half the battle. The other half is making them realize how
impossible it is to do 8-20 sets per bodypart if you truly, truly train
balls to the wall hard. Personally, if I do a 20 rep hack squat with slag
iron heavy weights....at 10 reps I am seriously doubting I am going to make
it---at 14 reps IM seeing colors---at 17 reps IM asking God for help--and
the last 3 reps are life, death, or rigor mortis---I know for a fact that
there is no way in hell I could do another 4-5 sets of hacks like that. I
gave everything I had right there on that set. If I can do another 4-5 sets
like that I'm cruising at 70% at the most. If all you get out of my articles
is the mindset of heavy weights, low volume, stretching, and frequency of
body parts trained-I would be very happy because then I would have you on
the right path to get you where you want to be.

Old November 5th 03, 02:43 PM
Wayne S. Hill

T-REx wrote:

Was originally 3 articles, but I condensed it.

Sorry, couldn't be bothered.

--
-Wayne
Old November 5th 03, 03:18 PM
Jim Ranieri

"T-REx" wrote in message
Was originally 3 articles, but I condensed it.

How about a link, on the off chance that someone might actually care.
50 kb, indeed.

Old November 5th 03, 04:51 PM
T-REx

http://boards.elitefitness.com/forum...p&pagenumber=1

Old November 5th 03, 05:59 PM
Bob Mann

On Wed, 5 Nov 2003 09:10:34 -0500, "T-REx" wrote:

If you were a world class sprinter with a time a couple tenths off the
world record what would you do to break the mark? Would you run 5k races and
repeated sprints at 60% intensity for hours at a time? Would that make you
any faster? Or would you push the intensity limits with a wind bearing
running parachute and do explosive sprints as hard as you can? You tell me.

Barry Sullivan! Where the hell have you been?
--
Bob Mann

It's always darkest just before dawn.
So, if you're going to steal the neighbour's newspaper,
That's the time to do it.
Old November 5th 03, 11:06 PM
Theresa

T-REx wrote:
Was originally 3 articles, but I condensed it.

Interesting, thanks.

Old November 5th 03, 11:35 PM
elzinator

On 5 Nov 2003 14:43:11 GMT, "Wayne S. Hill" wrote:

T-REx wrote:

Was originally 3 articles, but I condensed it.

Sorry, couldn't be bothered.

Maybe he has really short short arms.....