Optimal timing of long run and long bike?

Old July 16th 03, 01:59 AM
Dave Andersen

Default Optimal timing of long run and long bike?

For convenience and "have a life" purposes, many people seem to
do their long bike and their long run on the weekend. I usually
ride on Saturday and run on Sunday. Last week, a bit of travel
and a rest week removed my long bike from the equation, and I got
to run with fresh legs on Sunday... which was quite a pleasant
change.

So, I ask: If you don't have any scheduling constraints, what's the
best way to stagger the long bike and the long run to get maximum
benefit from the workouts, assuming you're training for something
in the half-IM range? (Or, like me, want to train for both
marathons and olympic distance triathlons, but aren't quite crazy
enough for IMs. ;-)

Back to back and get it over with? (Which one first?).
A few days in between? Give up and move to a 6 or 8 day week?

-Dave

--
work: dga - at - lcs.mit.edu me: angio - at - pobox.com
MIT Laboratory for Computer Science http://www.angio.net/