Colder Temperatures Cause Injuries?

Old October 31st 05, 02:13 AM

Default Colder Temperatures Cause Injuries?

Once I went runing with shorts on in 35F temperature. This caused a
knee injury which caused me to take two weeks off. It was obvious that
the cold caused this. Recently the temperatures were 50F and I noticed
I got a heel injury. This is no so obvious but I'm wondering do you
think that temperatures below a certain point can cause injury? I
believer this is due to the fact that cold contracts muscles and makes
them less flexible and therfore more prone to injury.

Old October 31st 05, 03:24 AM
Tony S.

wrote in message
ups.com...
Once I went runing with shorts on in 35F temperature. This caused a
knee injury which caused me to take two weeks off. It was obvious that
the cold caused this. Recently the temperatures were 50F and I noticed
I got a heel injury. This is no so obvious but I'm wondering do you
think that temperatures below a certain point can cause injury? I
believer this is due to the fact that cold contracts muscles and makes
them less flexible and therfore more prone to injury.

I agree, things are stiffer when it's cold. This is one reason sprinters in
particular don't run well in cold weather. No reason to run in shorts at
35f; wear some running pants. Also, do a specific warm-up when it's cold,
like a 10 minute walk before you run. Don't worry about sweating some, wear
extra layers if you have problems from the cold.

-Tony

Old October 31st 05, 01:37 PM
Doug Freese

wrote in message
ups.com...
Once I went runing with shorts on in 35F temperature. This caused a
knee injury which caused me to take two weeks off. It was obvious that
the cold caused this.

Shorts at 35F is ballsy in general. If your legs did not, coulkd not,
warm up then yes, the cold may have played into your problem.

recently the temperatures were 50F and I noticed
I got a heel injury. This is no so obvious but I'm wondering do you
think that temperatures below a certain point can cause injury? I
believer this is due to the fact that cold contracts muscles and makes
them less flexible and therfore more prone to injury.

I doubt 50 unless you have circulation problems. Might you be going out
too hard and not allowing yourself time to warm up? For all we know
maybe your went from 20 MPW to 80 and you're doing lot's of other
things to **** of the injury gods and temp is not related.
-DF

Old October 31st 05, 06:32 PM
Ed Prochak

Doug Freese wrote:
wrote in message
ups.com...
[...]

I agree with Doug and the others. Not enough warmup is likely your
problem, not the cold by itself.

I've done runs in shorts at 35F. It helps keep you moving. 8^)
though I wouldn't do a long run that way (more than 5 or 6 miles
is a long run in this context).

Hope you heal soon rk.

ed

Old November 5th 05, 05:29 AM
Dan Stumpus

"Doug Freese" wrote

I doubt 50 unless you have circulation problems. Might you be going out
too hard and not allowing yourself time to warm up? For all we know maybe
your went from 20 MPW to 80 and you're doing lot's of other things to
**** of the injury gods and temp is not related.

I agree that proper warmup is critical. It takes longer to get up to
operating temperature the colder it is. I learned a great lesson about
warmup when I ran 5 miles with two world-class marathoners one morning (2:09
and 2:11 pr's). They wore warmups at 55 degrees on an easy run. They
started out at ~13 min/mile, and took a good mile to get up to 7:00/mile
pace.

I got the distinct feeling that they were *very* careful about their bodies,
even to the point of walking where it looked slippery -- injuries hurt their
livelyhood.

-- Dan