Does weight lifting or cardio exercises speed weight loss?

Old March 6th 08, 06:00 PM posted to misc.fitness.weights,rec.running,misc.fitness.aerobic,alt.support.diet
Andrzej Rosa

Default Does weight lifting or cardio exercises speed weight loss?

On 2008-03-06, Andrzej Rosa wrote:

You have two groups. One trains cardio then weights, the other trains
weights then cardio. What kind of differences you expect that those
groups will show after a while?

I expect that weights first group will gain strength faster, cardio
group will improve their VO2max faster. I'm talking real life here,
where people try to force themselves to work hard. But what's your
guess?

My guess is that you don't have a very good understanding of "real life"
endurance athletes. Endurance athletes do not "force themselves to work hard"
during recovery workouts.

My proposal would be to do as the "sample program" I posted earlier suggests.

So you avoid answering this question?

[...]
--
Andrzej Rosa 1127R
Old March 6th 08, 06:07 PM posted to misc.fitness.weights,rec.running,misc.fitness.aerobic,alt.support.diet
Andrzej Rosa

On 2008-03-06, Andrzej Rosa wrote:

But they still are not sure about it. Otherwise they wouldn't write
about possible explanations in the Discussion. They write that data
suggest, and all that "I'm not sure if my data are good." stuff.

No, they are sure *that RE improved*.

Right. My bad. And data don't even look bad... Strange thing, but I
start believing it.

--
Andrzej Rosa 1127R
Old March 6th 08, 08:54 PM posted to misc.fitness.weights,rec.running,misc.fitness.aerobic,alt.support.diet
Elflord

On 2008-03-06, Andrzej Rosa wrote:

You have two groups. One trains cardio then weights, the other trains
weights then cardio. What kind of differences you expect that those
groups will show after a while?

I expect that weights first group will gain strength faster, cardio
group will improve their VO2max faster. I'm talking real life here,
where people try to force themselves to work hard. But what's your
guess?

My guess is that you don't have a very good understanding of "real life"
endurance athletes. Endurance athletes do not "force themselves to work hard"
during recovery workouts.

My proposal would be to do as the "sample program" I posted earlier suggests.

So you avoid answering this question?

I disagree with the premise of your question. What you're calling "real life"
is not reality-based. I can't provide a good answer to a question that is posed
on false premises.

I have already volunteered opinions about the circumstances under which one
should or shouldn't weight train prior to endurance training.

Cheers,
--
Elflord
Old March 6th 08, 09:00 PM posted to misc.fitness.weights,rec.running,misc.fitness.aerobic,alt.support.diet
Elflord

On 2008-03-06, Andrzej Rosa wrote:

But they still are not sure about it. Otherwise they wouldn't write
about possible explanations in the Discussion. They write that data
suggest, and all that "I'm not sure if my data are good." stuff.

No, they are sure *that RE improved*.

Right. My bad. And data don't even look bad... Strange thing, but I
start believing it.

I'm glad that it's growing on you. I happen to like that study, because they
not only take "lab-based" measurements, which may or may not be interpretable
in "the real world", they do some due diligence to actually test that the lab
results come with some real performance improvement. The study would be just
fine without the 5k time trials, but these are a nice icing on the cake.

Cheers,
--
Elflord
Old March 6th 08, 09:43 PM posted to misc.fitness.weights,rec.running,misc.fitness.aerobic,alt.support.diet
Andrzej Rosa

On 2008-03-06, Andrzej Rosa wrote:

[...]

In my "real life" second half of the planned workout is rather often
neglected. It seems to happen this way to a whole lot of people, too.
(On a bad day I may only start working out, just to see if I'm really that
miserable. ;-))

You may be different, but the only way for me to train (for example)
overhead squats regularly is to start my workout with them. It worked
the same way when I did a bit of jumping rope. Whatever I plan to do at
the end of a session gets done once in a blue moon, and taking in
account that lifters rather unanimously hate cardio...

I have already volunteered opinions about the circumstances under which one
should or shouldn't weight train prior to endurance training.

That would probably work, because weights were done only twice a week
(IIRC) and running was done almost every day, but the OP asked a simpler
question. "Three times a week cardio+weights, which should I do first?",
or something very similar. Premises or not, I still maintain that whatever
he wants more should be trained first.

--
Andrzej Rosa 1127R
Old March 6th 08, 09:51 PM posted to misc.fitness.weights,rec.running,misc.fitness.aerobic,alt.support.diet
Andrzej Rosa

On 2008-03-06, Andrzej Rosa wrote:

But they still are not sure about it. Otherwise they wouldn't write
about possible explanations in the Discussion. They write that data
suggest, and all that "I'm not sure if my data are good." stuff.

No, they are sure *that RE improved*.

Right. My bad. And data don't even look bad... Strange thing, but I
start believing it.

I'm glad that it's growing on you. I happen to like that study,

The study seems to be all right. I didn't look closely enough the first
time and skipped crucial data, so I wrote mostly ******** about it.

That will learn me! ;-)

because they
not only take "lab-based" measurements, which may or may not be interpretable
in "the real world", they do some due diligence to actually test that the lab
results come with some real performance improvement. The study would be just
fine without the 5k time trials, but these are a nice icing on the cake.

You are right.

--
Andrzej Rosa 1127R
Old March 12th 08, 11:58 PM posted to misc.fitness.aerobic
Chris

Weight lifting has many benefits, one of which is that it increases your metabolic
rate. When you have a higher metabolic rate, your body can burn fat at a faster
rate when you're at home sitting on the couch. Cardiovascular exercise is
essential in weight loss. Ideally, if you want to lose lots of weight, you would
just do cardio constantly. But, since nobody would do that and it's just not
practical, lifting weights once per week mixed with cardio exercise everyday is
one of the best recipes for fast weight loss.

--------------
http://www.ultimate-well-being.com
Old May 26th 10, 02:45 PM
Nathan2525 Nathan2525 is offline
Junior Member

Location: London

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prisoner at War View Post
On Feb 21, 2:02 am, wrote:
Does weight lifting speed up weight loss quicker or does cardio
exercises?

Carido does -- but dieting helps most of all. You really can't burn
enough calories to make up for a thousands of daily calories, unless
maybe if you're Army infantry or something.

If someone has a goal to lose about 45 to 50 lbs. in three
months and are following a healthy diet/calorie plan, would cardio
exercises be the best choice to meet their weight loss goal quicker?

Definitely. But you should do some weight-training as well, just for
the general healthy aspects of it. The advice from lifters is that
muscles burn calories even at rest, but a recent NYT article this year
noted that those increased muscles -- at rest -- would only burn an
extra 25 or so calories a day...so yeah it's true that more
musculature burns more calories but apparently not much more at
all....

Two of my friends spent money on a personal trainer to help them with
their weight loss goal. Their trainer had them due 20 minutes of
cardio and 60 minutes of weight lifting with different routines 4
times a week. After 4 months of weightlifting with cardio exercises
and following a healthy plan to reach their weightloss goal, they only
loss 10 to 15lbs. Which was very frustrating for them.

Yes, it may be frustrating, but it's also safer to lose weight slowly
than too fast. It's also possible that your friends gained a few
pounds of muscle (though probably only three or four) which had offset
the losses. Main thing is to see whether they look good or
not...there are people on that "Biggest Loser" TV show who weigh fifty
pounds less than me and yet look round as a beach ball!

Today, both of my friends lost a lot of weight by eating healthy and
doing cardio exercises 4 times a week for 60 minutes a day on their
own. One lost 55lbs. and the other lost 50lbs. They both tell me
that cardio exercises helped them reach their weight loss goal quicker
than weight lifting. Now that they have reached their goal, they are
now incorporating weights to their exercises along with cardio. They
exercise 3 times a week, each day 20-30 minutes of weightlifting and
30 minutes of cardio.

Well, looks like you knew the answer all along, then!

If someone has about 50 lbs. to 75 lbs. to lose in 6 months and
follows a healthy food plan, should they lose the majority of their
weight with cardio exercises first, then incorporate weight lifting
and cardio once they reached their goal?

Any thoughts?

Yes, if weight loss is the primary objective, dieting is most
effective, then cardio, then weights. But best of all is to
incorporate all three, uh, "disciplines" into any plan.

I have found the best way to lose weight is by doing the following,
1. Diet
Eating the right foods will make things 1000 times easier

2. Interval Training
I found my best results come from interval training.

3. Weight Program
By having a weight program, you are also helping to burn
off fat while build the muscle from underneath.
Old November 18th 10, 10:22 PM
Marissa Marissa is offline
Junior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nathan2525 View Post
I have found the best way to lose weight is by doing the following,
1. Diet
Eating the right foods will make things 1000 times easier

2. Interval Training
I found my best results come from interval training.

3. Weight Program
By having a weight program, you are also helping to burn
off fat while build the muscle from underneath.
This. But tailor it to yourself.

My workout and diet program after I had my baby was vastly different from before. I'm trying to get used to the changes that my body recently weight through because of the pregnancy, so I'm still getting used to the different routines as well.
A mommy looking to flatten her belly after pregnancy while losing pregnancy weight.
Old January 23rd 13, 05:56 AM
Connore Connore is offline
Junior Member

Hi Prisoner at War,
Great post on losing weight with weight lifting and cardio exercises and agree with you that diet plays important role in loosing weight so besides regular exercises do focus on your diet also and watch what you eat. Break meals in 5/6 small meals including snacks and increase your water intake. Avoid eating late and have proper sleep daily.
san antonio weight loss