plantar fasciitis

Old December 5th 03, 11:21 AM
john goldfine

Default plantar fasciitis

Out of morbid and gloomy curiosity--I have plenty of time on my hands now
that my walking career has been chopped off at the knees--I'd be interested
in any philosopical thoughts, anecdotes, magical thinking, instant cures,
advice, etc., etc. on the subject of plantar fasciitis.

Old December 5th 03, 12:30 PM
Graham Benny

john goldfine wrote
Out of morbid and gloomy curiosity--I have plenty of time on my hands now
that my walking career has been chopped off at the knees--I'd be

interested
in any philosopical thoughts, anecdotes, magical thinking, instant cures,
advice, etc., etc. on the subject of plantar fasciitis.

Speaking as a recent sufferer of PF, the bad news is that there are no
instant cures but the good news is that with patience it will get better.
My experience started about March 2002 with sudden pain in the heel and
under-foot region which got progressively worse over the next 2 months,
especially after long hill walks. Strangely though I was still able to do
hill runs with only a little discomfort on the uphill and downhill but more
discomfort on 'flat' sections. From the internet and discussion with fellow
walkers and runners it became obvious that I had a well defined case of PF
with all the classic symptoms of increase in pain/discomfort after
inactivity of perhaps an hour or less and serious pain first thing in the
morning. I'm sure I've had mild cases of PF before without it developing
into something worse. I've always had tight hamstrings so this has led to
strain on the other parts of the leg mobility system such as the Achilles
Tendon (I've had tendonitis a few times) and the Plantar Fascia.
The cure? A mixture of rest and exercise. The exercise has to be designed to
avoid the PF from stiffening up so really means avoiding inactivity such as
sitting about for any length of time but not too much to cause more damge or
reverse any healing of the micro-tears in the fibres. Simply getting up and
walking about the house a little every so often sufficed and I supplemented
this with stretching exercises for the hamstrings. I tried some of the
recommended exercises for stretching the PF but this tended to make it worse
so I concentrated on reducing stress on other parts of the walking system,
i.e. hamstrings. Gradually I got out walking on the hills for shorter days
and built up to 'normal' days by the end of the summer. During July I was on
holiday in Co. Kerry and found that beach walks and wearing sandals a lot
actually slowed up the recovery process. In September my GP, a fellow hill
walker and runner, managed to get me referred to a podiatrist but by that
time the pain had subsided to mere discomfort which I could largely ignore.
However I was given insoles with good arch support, to apply some gentle
stretching to the PF, and a cushioning pad under my heel to force my foot
onto the arch support. The condition has gradually improved until it is
almost unnoticeable but I suspect it will never completely disappear.
Avoidance? I now make sure I have good arch support in all shoes and boots
although sandals are a problem but as mine are past their best I'll be
looking for a new pair next spring with a better insole design. I now make a
point of doing hamstring stretching exercises before and after a run so
hopefully I'll never have a serious recurrence.

HTH
Graham

Old December 5th 03, 12:44 PM
Carol Haynes

"john goldfine" wrote in message
Out of morbid and gloomy curiosity--I have plenty of time on my hands now
that my walking career has been chopped off at the knees--I'd be

interested
in any philosopical thoughts, anecdotes, magical thinking, instant cures,
advice, etc., etc. on the subject of plantar fasciitis.

I am unfortunately suffering with this at the moment too. I have been going
to a sports phsyio for help as I have been working as an outdoor instructor.

Things I am doing include:

* Wear good supportive footware - even around the house. No bare feet of
floppy slippers. I have orthotics in my trail shoes which I am wearing all
the time at present.

* Avoid wellies (difficult for me caving and gorge walking, but using them
with orthotics helps to stabilise the foot and support the arch).

* Get heat into the area before stretching the foot. Hot/Cold packs from the
chemist are ideal or use a hot water bottle.

* In front of the TV use alternate hot and cold packs to freeze/warm the
area.

* Massage the sore area to break up scar tissue by pressing with the ball of
the thumb firmly and repeatedly (after warming the area).

* Gentle wandering is better than inactivity. Inactivity leads to tendon
stiffening and scar tissue formation.

* Stretch the tendon gently. To do this put your foot against a skirting
board toes up the wall. With the sole of the foot flat on the floor flex the
knee towards the wall until you feel the tendon stretch. Hold the position
then relax and repeat.

* Strapping helps to stop the tendon over stretching during day to day
activity. Difficult to describe, and almost impossible to by suitable
strapping tape. If you can get to a sports clinic at least once ask to be
shown how to do the strapping yourself and buy some strapping tape from
them. You need to be a bit of a contortionist but I can just about strap my
own foot now.

Good luck - it is a long job getting it fixed!

Carol

Old December 5th 03, 02:39 PM
John Taverner

"Carol Haynes" wrote in message

"john goldfine" wrote in message
Out of morbid and gloomy curiosity--I have plenty of time on my hands

now
that my walking career has been chopped off at the knees--I'd be

interested
in any philosopical thoughts, anecdotes, magical thinking, instant

cures,
advice, etc., etc. on the subject of plantar fasciitis.

megasnip of Carole Haynes excellent tips.

As an ex-quack, the above tips are on the ball. :-)
and I have suffered from PF in the past. IMHO, most serious walkers will
have an episode of it at sometime in their life.
The plantar fascia stretches from the toes to the calcaneum, ( heel bone),
and a bit like the Sydney bridge , it maintains the arch of the foot.

So anything that changes the normal stresses on toes and heel may lead to
PF.

Mine was caused by a long walk abroad in 'crucial sandals". its the gripping
in sandals and flip-flops that causes the problem, and it does not help to
walk on broken ground in them. Wellies should be banned apart from the
garden.

Expensive orthotics have cured my problem, and helped my knee pain. I never
walk in any shoe or boot without my pair of orthotics inserted.
Get a rec. for a good podiatrist, mine were 140GBP 4 years ago, but should
see me out.
When you see a video and analysis of your gait, you realise just how bad it
can get without you realising, everything gets ballsed up, knees, hips and
even your back.

As a GP, I could do little except diagnose and refer. Cortisone in the foot
is bloody painful, it helps, but masks the basis of the problem.

HTH

JT

Llangwm
Pembrokeshire
3m amsl
"et in arcadia ego?"

Old December 5th 03, 05:32 PM
Carol Haynes

"John Taverner" wrote in message
news
megasnip of Carole Haynes excellent tips.

As an ex-quack, the above tips are on the ball. :-)

Thanks - nice to know I am on the right track ;-)

Wellies should be banned apart from the garden.

I agree but ... trouble is there isn't a good alternative for caves and
gorges.

Expensive orthotics have cured my problem, and helped my knee pain. I

never
walk in any shoe or boot without my pair of orthotics inserted.
Get a rec. for a good podiatrist, mine were 140GBP 4 years ago, but should
see me out.

I paid 30 for mine and I thought that was expensive. They are 'off-the-peg'
but heat moulded for my feet.

I was a bit alarmed when the physio took an electric paint stripper to them
but it seems to have worked fine.

When you see a video and analysis of your gait, you realise just how bad

it
can get without you realising, everything gets ballsed up, knees, hips and
even your back.

Unfortunately I don't need a video. I went undiagnosed for so long that now
I walk on the outside of my foot and have hip and backache. Orthotics and
strapping have helped to restore my gait to something approaching normal but
it will be a while before everything settles back into normal action again.

As a GP, I could do little except diagnose and refer. Cortisone in the

foot
is bloody painful, it helps, but masks the basis of the problem.

Hmmm ... thanks for that comment. My physio is saying that if I don't get
significant improvement soon I should get a cortisone injection. I have been
holding off because I don't fancy a large needle in the bottom of my foot
and from what you say I will persevere with my current treatment as long as
it takes!

Cheers

Carol

Old December 5th 03, 11:31 PM
Paul Rooney

On Fri, 5 Dec 2003 05:21:00 -0500, "john goldfine"
wrote:

Out of morbid and gloomy curiosity--I have plenty of time on my hands now
that my walking career has been chopped off at the knees--I'd be interested
in any philosopical thoughts, anecdotes, magical thinking, instant cures,
advice, etc., etc. on the subject of plantar fasciitis.

rec.running is well worth a visit for info on this.

--
Paul
My Lake District walking site (updated 29th September 2003):

Please sponsor me for the London Marathon at:
http://www.justgiving.com/london2004
Old December 6th 03, 09:50 AM
John Taverner

I've got a pair of NHS orthoses which didn't cost me a penny - or
are we talking about something else here? They're not a lot of use
in the sort of Teva sandals I like to wear, but they're always with
me in my walking boots and do make life easier even though I don't
use them as often as the podiatrist would have liked.

Same thing.
Mine were made in California, so you would expect a bit of a rip-off, but
they have done wonders for my feet, knees and hips.

Watch out for your children, ( if you have any), two of my sons have the
same problem, (28,23,), they are in orthotics now.

JT

Old December 6th 03, 10:35 PM
Roy

"Carol Haynes" wrote in message

"John Taverner" wrote in message
news
megasnip of Carole Haynes excellent tips.

As an ex-quack, the above tips are on the ball. :-)

Thanks - nice to know I am on the right track ;-)

Wellies should be banned apart from the garden.

I agree but ... trouble is there isn't a good alternative for caves and
gorges.

What about caving boots?

Expensive orthotics have cured my problem, and helped my knee pain. I

never
walk in any shoe or boot without my pair of orthotics inserted.
Get a rec. for a good podiatrist, mine were 140GBP 4 years ago, but

should
see me out.

I paid 30 for mine and I thought that was expensive. They are

'off-the-peg'
but heat moulded for my feet.

Luckily I've never had PF but I did have some discomfort in ski boots due to
bunions and nasty bits sticking out! The solution was good heat formed
orthotics. I reckon now they are the first step in attempting to fix any
foot problems.

Roy.

Old December 7th 03, 01:18 AM
Carol Haynes

"Roy" roy wrote in message ...

"Carol Haynes" wrote in message

"John Taverner" wrote in message
news
megasnip of Carole Haynes excellent tips.

As an ex-quack, the above tips are on the ball. :-)

Thanks - nice to know I am on the right track ;-)

Wellies should be banned apart from the garden.

I agree but ... trouble is there isn't a good alternative for caves and
gorges.

What about caving boots?

Unfortunately I don't like them. One of the advantages of wellies is you
stand a good chance of keeping your feet reasonably whereas the only caving
boots I have seen would mean wet feet almost as soon as you find water!

Carol