Plantar Fasciitis

Old June 25th 11, 09:43 PM posted to rec.running
Birm

Default Plantar Fasciitis

I have had plantar fasciitis for about two years. What can I do for it?
When I was first diagnosed with it a podiatrist gave me three cortisone
shots which helped with the pain but now the more I'm on my feet the
more pain I have. I do stretching exercises twice a day. If anyone has
had plantar facsiitis please tell me what you did for it that helped.
TIA

Old June 25th 11, 11:13 PM posted to rec.running
Tedd Lope

Search for "heal seats". They worked for me. I wear them constantly,
rarely stand up without them. The only time I have any discomfort now
is when I shower (when I first got them I was strapping them to my
foot with an ankle brace when I showered). They solved my problem in a
few months.

Old June 26th 11, 02:52 PM posted to rec.running
Steve Freides[_2_]

Birm wrote:
I have had plantar fasciitis for about two years. What can I do for
it? When I was first diagnosed with it a podiatrist gave me three
cortisone shots which helped with the pain but now the more I'm on my
feet the more pain I have. I do stretching exercises twice a day.
If anyone has had plantar facsiitis please tell me what you did for
it that helped. TIA

My own experience has been that when something hurts, the first thing to
do is look for something _else_ that's not doing its job. Again, just
my opinion based on my own experience, but my own plantar fasciitis,
which is one of those things that crops up perhaps once every 5-10
years, has always turned out to be the result of insufficiently mobile
ankles and/or weak, tight calf muscles.

Two simple things make it go away for me. The first is simple making
circles in the air with my ankles - while sitting or standing, lift your
foot off the ground and make imaginary circles with your toes. You
should be pointing your toes at one end, flexing your foot at the other,
and moving it to both sides as you go between. Try to do this a bunch -
it should be a natural, easy motion, not something you have to muscle
through. Try to keep the movement mostly in your ankle - that's what
you're trying to loosen up.

The second is an old-fashioned "weight" exercise but you don't need any
weights - just stand on the edge of a step and do calf raises - come up
on your toes (really the ball of your foot) and then lower to slightly
below parallel, gradually increasing the stretch to lower as far as you
reasonably can below parallel. If you're feeling macho and strong, you
can learn to do these on one foot at a time but work up to a goodly
number of them on two feet first.

Again, just my opinion, no science claimed but this is what has helped
me in the past. If I do the two above-mentioned movements regularly, I
don't have the problem in the first place. Best of luck to you.

-S-
http://www.kbnj.com/flexguide.htm

Old June 26th 11, 07:05 PM posted to rec.running
Mark[_6_]

On 6/25/2011 12:43 PM, Birm wrote:

I have had plantar fasciitis for about two years. What can I do for it?
When I was first diagnosed with it a podiatrist gave me three cortisone
shots which helped with the pain but now the more I'm on my feet the
more pain I have. I do stretching exercises twice a day. If anyone has
had plantar facsiitis please tell me what you did for it that helped.
TIA

Plantar fasciitis has pestered me for years. About six months ago I
purchased a pair of minimalist running shoe's, which improved my running
form. Now my feet feel great, with no sign of plantar fasciitis.

Mark
Old June 26th 11, 10:26 PM posted to rec.running
masonc

On Sat, 25 Jun 2011 15:43:48 -0400, (Birm) wrote:

I have had plantar fasciitis for about two years. What can I do for it?
When I was first diagnosed with it a podiatrist gave me three cortisone
shots which helped with the pain but now the more I'm on my feet the
more pain I have. I do stretching exercises twice a day. If anyone has
had plantar facsiitis please tell me what you did for it that helped.
TIA

Just another case history. My left foot had a "sizable stone in my
shoe under my arch" when I put on my shoe in the morning. Xray showed
no stress fracture (but could have missed it). In the next few days
the top of my foot became quite swollen.

Dr. Heidi Tonken (love that name) orthopedist athletic doctor
instructed me in stretching by standing with ball of foot on a step
and letting the heel down. I was surprised at the idea of stretching
the injury (!) In a week the swelling went down and the story ended
with ten days off the paths. I placed a block at my sink to stand on
and stretch when shaving or toothbrushing and now have that habit --
both feet.

I have a theory: I had been feeling that my left shoe was loose and
was stopping to pull the shoe laces as tight as possible. Did I
restrict the movement of my arch and cause the fasciitis?

--
masonc age 88, walking not running
Old July 4th 11, 01:16 AM posted to rec.running
Doug Freese

"steinbej" wrote in message

On Jun 25, 10:46 pm, pithydoug wrote:
What did he/she do to identify the cause?

Sometimes there is no identifiable cause.

If you don't find the
cause, actions like cortisone will only calm it down, until you go
back to ****ing it off.

Often true. But not always true. There are some weird things which
go away and stay away even though one uses a temporary treatment.

I was targeting Birm's original post(and not the general case) where he said
he has PF for two years and the cortisone (in the early stages) only gave
temporary relief.
There are many cases where PF comes from some unknown problem and good old
steroid shot or three will do the deed. Having this for two years suggests,
he needs to find out what continues to inflame fascia.

I like Pribut's http://www.drpribut.com/sports/heelhtm.htm write-up on PF

-D

Plantar Fasciitis Ted Walking in the UK 6 February 17th 09 06:11 PM
Plantar Fasciitis Roy Running 3 May 17th 07 02:35 AM
Plantar Fasciitis samson Running 1 May 7th 07 04:42 PM
Plantar Fasciitis [email protected] Running 4 December 3rd 05 05:42 AM
plantar fasciitis john goldfine Walking in the UK 11 December 7th 03 09:12 AM