Walking in cold winter weather legs get numb

Old November 29th 05, 08:53 PM posted to misc.fitness.walking

Default Walking in cold winter weather legs get numb

Hello all...

I walk year round but have the most problem in the winter. The problem is
the upper legs .. almost instantly they start to get frostbite and go numb.
It's -15c today - windchill of -17c and I thought I wasn't going to make it
home. My upper body/and face is toasty warm as is my hands and feet.

I know the problem is the pants I wear. They are to tight with long
underwear underneath. So I'm looking for suggestions on what to buy for
pants. There is a pair of goose down pants at a local work store..but I
don't know if that's overkill wearing those? How about those nylon (outer)
lined with fleece pants? What do you wear underneath those? This situation
(frostbite) is getting way to dangerous for me to be out walking without
proper pants..so I won't go until I find out what to wear. Any suggestions
would be appreciated..

Old December 1st 05, 01:03 AM posted to misc.fitness.walking

My personal favorites are polypro, or something similar, "tights". Over that
I wear "wind pants," those light pants that are not quite windproof.

I don't know if you can completely protect the skin of your thighs from
getting real cold like that. I've tried several different combinations but
the more I added the more difficult it became to walk and I of course
sweated even more then got cold when I turned into the wind. My skin still
gets cold but not as bad with the Tights and Wind Pants and I don't sweat
and freeze.

AT

Old December 1st 05, 09:46 PM posted to misc.fitness.walking

my two cents. those goose down pants will be better suited for
standing around camp or sitting in a duck blind than they will be for
serious walking.
i sometimes get hives on my thighs from the cold. too much fat and too
little circulation? maybe? I go now with wicking longjohns.. like
polypropelene, medium weight WOOL pants and nylon or goretex wind
pants if weather is nasty.

Old December 2nd 05, 05:31 AM posted to misc.fitness.walking

"trekpole" wrote in message
ups.com...
my two cents. those goose down pants will be better suited for
standing around camp or sitting in a duck blind than they will be for
serious walking.
i sometimes get hives on my thighs from the cold. too much fat and too
little circulation? maybe? I go now with wicking longjohns.. like
polypropelene, medium weight WOOL pants and nylon or goretex wind
pants if weather is nasty.

Thanks all for the replies! It seems as though the polypropelene, and nylon
or goretex pants has been mentioned a couple of times. I will try that first
and see what happens.

Old December 2nd 05, 03:05 PM posted to misc.fitness.walking

Also --- if it's only your upper legs that are a problem, you can get tights
to wear underneath & cut them off; or bicycle shorts. Or even cut-off length
outer (wind) pants. You don't have to have all layers full length.
Try discount stores for cheap stuff to try out. Then you won't feel so bad
if it still isn't right!
bj

Old December 10th 05, 01:23 PM posted to misc.fitness.walking

Nevermind my previous comments. I just started using my treadmill and have
had some great workouts. Forget the outdoor winter walking IMO.

news:XoZjf.9$a%[email protected]

Old December 10th 05, 03:22 PM posted to misc.fitness.walking

Whatever works for you.
I only use the treadmill if it's absolutely impossible outside for more than
a couple of days.
bj

"DeWayne" wrote in message
m...
Nevermind my previous comments. I just started using my treadmill and have
had some great workouts. Forget the outdoor winter walking IMO.

Walking on cold rainy winter evenings tenplay Walking 9 June 8th 06 04:27 PM
Walking in winter? sandy Walking 6 January 21st 05 02:57 AM
Increasing leg mass djdressingown Weights 272 April 13th 04 08:04 PM
Running in freezing cold weather... Ryan Atici Running 15 December 2nd 03 01:52 PM
Cold water tolerance? nelson Swimming 19 November 21st 03 09:56 PM