Swimming Caps for really big heads!

Old November 25th 05, 03:47 PM posted to rec.sport.swimming

Default Swimming Caps for really big heads!

hi!

i've just started swimming again after a long time of not swimming, but
am having trouble finding a swimming cap that fits! I've got quite a
bit head anyway, but i've also got thick hair over a foot long hair,
and i just cant find a cap that i can fit it all into! I've tried an
Aquasphere one, but that snapped the second time i took it off (before
i even got to the pool! I was demonstrating what a prat i looked like
to my mother, then it split!)

Anyway, just wondered if anyone had any ideas I really want to be
able to go swimming every day, or at least do to a few lenghts after a
gym session, but the faff of having to wash my hair is preventing
me....

thanks!
Cheryl

Old November 25th 05, 05:18 PM posted to rec.sport.swimming

: Anyway, just wondered if anyone had any ideas I really want to be
: able to go swimming every day, or at least do to a few lenghts after a
: gym session, but the faff of having to wash my hair is preventing
: me....
:
: thanks!
: Cheryl

Cheryl, are you saying that your goal is to find a swim cap so water tight
that your hair will be dry after swimming? If so, I wish you luck--but I
don't expect you to find anything suitable.

Pat in TX
:

Old November 25th 05, 11:20 PM posted to rec.sport.swimming

In article , Pat wrote:

: Anyway, just wondered if anyone had any ideas I really want to be
: able to go swimming every day, or at least do to a few lenghts after a
: gym session, but the faff of having to wash my hair is preventing
: me....

Cheryl, are you saying that your goal is to find a swim cap so water tight
that your hair will be dry after swimming? If so, I wish you luck--but I
don't expect you to find anything suitable.

A lot of people labor under a misconception about what a cap can do.
Be that as it may, the lack of larger caps for people with more hair
than usual is a problem. My girlfriend has massive dreadlocks several
feet long, and can't find a cap that will stretch enough to
accommodate her hair, no matter how much compressing we try to do.
One Size Fits All fails to fit her all, and this has kept her from
swimming with me for years now.

scott

R. Scott Buchanan | 781-736-2717 (Tel)
Brandeis University, MS/018 | 781-736-2741 (Fax)
Waltham, MA 02454-9110 |
Old November 26th 05, 04:37 AM posted to rec.sport.swimming

R. Scott Buchanan wrote:
In article , Pat wrote:

[...]

Do not underestimate the stretching ability of a simple (and cheap)
latex cap. While swimming in USS age group, we once successfully
wrapped a teammate up to his hips in one. Granted, nobody could ever
wear the thing afterwards, but it sounds like the technique we used may
be of some utility here.

Start off with your basic rubber cap. *NOT* silicone or any of those
other fancy materials, just dumb latex. Begin the stretching process by
getting in the pool, and filling the cap with water, much like you would
when putting it on (assuming you use the "fill with water and dump on
your head" technique). Then instead of pulling it over your head, push
it back down. The idea is to catch and pull water on both the upwards
and downwards motions, sorta like pre-school age kids playing parachute
games. As you move the cap up and down, work on stretching it sideways
as well. Eventually you should get it to a point where the head portion
should fit your hair, while the rim reinforcement is still in a
relatively unstretched state. Now go do some laps
Old November 28th 05, 02:45 PM posted to rec.sport.swimming

In article ,
Chris Zakelj wrote:
Do not underestimate the stretching ability of a simple (and cheap)
latex cap. While swimming in USS age group, we once successfully
wrapped a teammate up to his hips in one.

Fair enough, although I seem to remember being a lot smaller when I
was young enough to swim in age groups. My girlfriend's hair may
actually be bigger than the average 12-year-old boy's torso (my
hair, sadly, has ceased to be an issue).

Anyway, thanks for the tip. We'll give it a try sometime this week.

Old November 19th 13, 10:51 PM
Derevcere Derevcere is offline
Junior Member

Thank you for*good*communication.