long torso, short legs

Old August 13th 04, 09:08 PM
GoodSwimFan

Default long torso, short legs

I read articles about Michael Phelps that say he has the ideal
swimmer's body, in particular, a long body with short legs. I'm
curious why a long body with short legs is supposed to be good.

My guess would be the opposite: that to excel in fly, you need longer
legs and a shorter body -- less torso to lift (or to dive down) from
the kick. I wonder if proportions have anything to do with whether
one is naturally a better long axis stroke or short axis stroke
swimmer.

My strokes in best-to-worst order: Free, back, breast, fly
My measurements: Height: 65" Torso: crotch to throat (between ends of
clavicles): 25" Legs: inseam: 30"

Comments? Anyone else care to share their measurements and stroke
preferences?
Old August 14th 04, 06:34 PM
Mark P

GoodSwimFan wrote:
I read articles about Michael Phelps that say he has the ideal
swimmer's body, in particular, a long body with short legs. I'm
curious why a long body with short legs is supposed to be good.

My guess would be the opposite: that to excel in fly, you need longer
legs and a shorter body -- less torso to lift (or to dive down) from
the kick. I wonder if proportions have anything to do with whether
one is naturally a better long axis stroke or short axis stroke
swimmer.

My strokes in best-to-worst order: Free, back, breast, fly
My measurements: Height: 65" Torso: crotch to throat (between ends of
clavicles): 25" Legs: inseam: 30"

Comments? Anyone else care to share their measurements and stroke
preferences?

Long legs a) sink and b) are proportionally harder to beat up and down
in a kicking motion.
Old August 14th 04, 07:25 PM
diablo

"Mark P" wrote in message
GoodSwimFan wrote:
I read articles about Michael Phelps that say he has the ideal
swimmer's body, in particular, a long body with short legs. I'm
curious why a long body with short legs is supposed to be good.

My guess would be the opposite: that to excel in fly, you need longer
legs and a shorter body -- less torso to lift (or to dive down) from
the kick. I wonder if proportions have anything to do with whether
one is naturally a better long axis stroke or short axis stroke
swimmer.

My strokes in best-to-worst order: Free, back, breast, fly
My measurements: Height: 65" Torso: crotch to throat (between ends of
clavicles): 25" Legs: inseam: 30"

Comments? Anyone else care to share their measurements and stroke
preferences?

Long legs a) sink and b) are proportionally harder to beat up and down
in a kicking motion.

i suppose if you subscribe to the "longer draft" theory, you could argue
that long trunk and long legs are the best combination..

Old August 15th 04, 12:41 AM
Mark P

Brian D wrote:
On 14 Aug,
Mark P wrote:

Long legs a) sink and b) are proportionally harder to beat up and down
in a kicking motion.

So why are my short fat hairy legs so appalling.

The hair, I'd wager
Old August 15th 04, 03:29 PM
Filipok

"Mark P" wrote in message
Brian D wrote:
On 14 Aug, Mark P wrote:

Long legs a) sink and b) are proportionally harder to beat up and down in
a kicking motion.

So why are my short fat hairy legs so appalling.

The hair, I'd wager

Depends. If the hair is *really* thick, the water would just bead off like a
that of a duck's feathers. Could be an advantage?

--Phillip

Old August 15th 04, 07:37 PM
rtk

My uninformed hunch is that it's not the short legs, but rather the
long arms providing greater leverage that is advantageous.

Ruth Kazez
Old August 16th 04, 06:34 PM
Madelaine

Mark P wrote:

GoodSwimFan wrote:

I read articles about Michael Phelps that say he has the ideal
swimmer's body, in particular, a long body with short legs. I'm
curious why a long body with short legs is supposed to be good.

My guess would be the opposite: that to excel in fly, you need longer
legs and a shorter body -- less torso to lift (or to dive down) from
the kick. I wonder if proportions have anything to do with whether
one is naturally a better long axis stroke or short axis stroke
swimmer.

My strokes in best-to-worst order: Free, back, breast, fly
My measurements: Height: 65" Torso: crotch to throat (between ends of
clavicles): 25" Legs: inseam: 30"

Comments? Anyone else care to share their measurements and stroke
preferences?

Long legs a) sink and b) are proportionally harder to beat up and down
in a kicking motion.

I would think that at least in short races, the ability of long-legged
people to spring off the blocks and (seemingingly) half way across the
pool would make up for this. I'm 62.75" with a 29" inseam, haven't
measured my torso lately, but will.
My order of preference: back, breast, crawl, can't really do fly with
any forward momentum.
Madelaine
Old August 19th 04, 04:37 PM
Madelaine

I'm obsessed with this concept. If it is really true, the best swimmers
should look like underweight organutans, and I don't think they do.

I'm wondering if the key ratio is arm length to total height or if it is
arm length to torso length, or arm length to leg length.

I have long arms for my height judging by eye, but lost all my very few
AAU practice races due to bad starts, save one backstroke race.

I hope this will garner more discussion after the Olympics.
Madelaine

Old August 22nd 14, 12:13 AM
Elvira18 Elvira18 is offline
Banned

thanks for the list guys. it'll really help me.

Race Report: Ironman New Zealand (long) IMKen Triathalon 5 March 31st 04 07:25 AM
Stroke Length ... what's all the fuss? 4precious Swimming 281 January 29th 04 01:58 PM
DC Training (long) T-REx Weights 24 November 15th 03 02:19 AM
Impact of rec.sport.swimming Larry Weisenthal Swimming 264 September 15th 03 06:07 PM
Optimal timing of long run and long bike? Dave Andersen Triathalon 0 July 16th 03 12:59 AM