Tread mill jogging vs Trail jogging

Old July 25th 04, 06:54 PM
Huguito

Default Tread mill jogging vs Trail jogging

Hi, id just like all of your opinions on if tread mill jogging is better
than trail jogging or vice versa?, what are the benefits of jogging on both
methods. I ask because i really enjoy jogging alongside the canal in the
dirt road , its all flat, i like it that way, im jogging to loose weight
right now, thanks for your input.

Ps, i jog every other day , 1/4 mile warm up, then 2miles jog, get home and
stretch, is there a better way to loose weight i really don't have time to
go to the gym , i jog because i live 1/4 mile from the canal.

Old July 25th 04, 07:43 PM
Phil M.

One dark day on Usenet, "Huguito" said
:

Hi, id just like all of your opinions on if tread mill jogging is
better than trail jogging or vice versa?, what are the benefits of
jogging on both methods. I ask because i really enjoy jogging
alongside the canal in the dirt road , its all flat, i like it that
way, im jogging to loose weight right now, thanks for your input.

If you enjoy running along the canal, keep doing that. Anything that will
keep you running is a good thing.

Ps, i jog every other day , 1/4 mile warm up, then 2miles jog, get
home and stretch, is there a better way to loose weight i really don't
have time to go to the gym , i jog because i live 1/4 mile from the
canal.

I think we've been here before, At any rate, if you want to burn more
calories and lose more weight, alternate your running days with a brisk 2
mile walk. Running 2 miles or walking 2 miles, it makes no difference,
they both burn about the same amount of calories.

Phil M.

--
If you can empty your own boat
Crossing the river of the world,
Old July 25th 04, 08:00 PM
Joe S.

Treadmill running sucks for the following reasons:
-- no rain
-- no humidity
-- no cold
-- no heat
-- no ice or snow
-- can't see the sun rise or set
-- can't hear the birds sing
-- can't see the flowers in the spring or the leaves in the fall
-- can't spit

--

-----
Joe S.

Old July 25th 04, 08:28 PM
Phil M.

One dark day on Usenet, "Joe S." said
:

Treadmill running sucks for the following reasons:
-- no rain
-- no humidity
-- no cold
-- no heat
-- no ice or snow
-- can't see the sun rise or set
-- can't hear the birds sing
-- can't see the flowers in the spring or the leaves in the fall
-- can't spit

The rotating earth is my treadmill. But I worry that if I don't run fast
enough, I might fall off the back of it.

Phil M.

Old July 25th 04, 10:41 PM
Sam

"Huguito" wrote in message
Hi, id just like all of your opinions on if tread mill jogging is better
than trail jogging or vice versa?, what are the benefits of jogging on

both
methods. I ask because i really enjoy jogging alongside the canal in the
dirt road , its all flat, i like it that way, im jogging to loose weight
right now, thanks for your input.

Ps, i jog every other day , 1/4 mile warm up, then 2miles jog, get home

and
stretch, is there a better way to loose weight i really don't have time to
go to the gym , i jog because i live 1/4 mile from the canal.

Treadmill pros:

Controlled environment (weather, temp)
Safety
Controlled intensity

Trail pros:

Outside in the fresh air (hopefully!)
No waiting in line (assuming one is using a gym)

In reality, for weight loss and general fitness, the one that is best is the
one you are going to do. Somedays it might be smarter to run inside on a TM
(air pollution, excessively hot, excessively cold/wet)

Old July 25th 04, 10:43 PM
Sam

"Phil M." wrote in message
[...]

Phil, I presume you mean ADD the walking days to what he is already doing.
That is increase the total volume of exercise.

Old July 25th 04, 10:45 PM
Sam

Having just finished a run on Saturday that was 17 miles at an altitude of
7500 to 8500 feet with temps in the 40s and a person getting lost on the
trail, I was thinking the TM is really a good idea. Man, were we cold and
worried about our friend (who is okay just was less familiar with the area
than anyone knew).

Old July 26th 04, 12:24 AM
Phil M.

One dark day on Usenet, "Sam" said
link.net:

"Phil M." wrote in message
[...]

Yes, since he's running every other day, adding the walking on the non-
running days would help him to burn calories without increasing the
injury risk.

Phil M.

Old July 26th 04, 03:24 AM
Tony

Huguito wrote in message ...
Hi, id just like all of your opinions on if tread mill jogging is better
than trail jogging or vice versa?, what are the benefits of jogging on both
methods. I ask because i really enjoy jogging alongside the canal in the
dirt road , its all flat, i like it that way, im jogging to loose weight
right now, thanks for your input.

Ps, i jog every other day , 1/4 mile warm up, then 2miles jog, get home and
stretch, is there a better way to loose weight i really don't have time to
go to the gym , i jog because i live 1/4 mile from the canal.

If you're like most people you will get so bored on the treadmill that it
might ruin your good exercise habits. Use the treamill only when necessary,
as in very bad weather outside.

- Tony

Old July 26th 04, 03:33 AM
Dot

Joe S. wrote:

Treadmill running sucks for the following reasons:
-- no rain
-- no humidity
-- no cold
-- no heat
-- no ice or snow
-- can't see the sun rise or set
-- can't hear the birds sing
-- can't see the flowers in the spring or the leaves in the fall
-- can't spit

can't see fox running down trail
can't see full moon
can't see ice crystals dancing in the moonlight

Dot