Strength training

Old December 20th 05, 03:38 AM posted to rec.sport.swimming

Default Strength training

Swimming experts,

I recently started strength training to complement my 3-4x/week swimming
routine. I'm trying to lose weight, I am currently 205 and want to drop
20lbs. I'm not very interested in gaining a lot of muscle, but rather, I
want to gain muscular endurance to improve my strokes (freestyle and breast)
and more efficiently burn fat in the water. I swim about 3000-3500 yds per
workout, in sets of alternating 200yds, 150yds, 50yds, etc....and pyramids
and IM's here and there.

My question is, how should I go about figuring out how many reps/sets to do
for my situation? I just started a 3x/week (every other day) regimen of
legs, chest, shoulders, lats, abs, etc, and the recommendation I found was
to do 2-3 sets of 15-20 reps per exercise. I thought I heard somewhere that
for swimming strength training, you want to do lots of reps, not too many
sets, and keep the weight down.

Any help would be appreciated! I'm sure either way I'll get faster and
stronger in the water, but like I said, I don't want to add too much muscle
mass if I can stay away from it!

Matt

Old December 20th 05, 11:44 AM posted to rec.sport.swimming

Matt F wrote:
[...]

I think it depends how close to a race you are. If you're not racing you
may still want to set some PBs to gauge progress with.
Whatever you decide, make sure you keep a balance: push down equal
weights to that which you lift. Also go for lifting and pushing/pulling
exercises rather than movements that are for body builders to gain
definition, like side raises for you shoulders.
Don't over extend yourself, don't try and go beyond your range of movement.
And finally to answer your question, when you're putting in lots of
distance in the pool, keep the weights larger but with fewer reps, as
you near competition or a PB attempt, trim the weight down and increase
reps, drop them altogether at least two weeks before a race.
HTH....
Old December 21st 05, 01:11 AM posted to rec.sport.swimming

"didgerman" wrote in message
Matt F wrote:
[...]

Thanks for the advice. I'm not racing at all, this is just my cardio
workout of choice. I was taking a look at my lifting routine and I noticed
there was no calf exercise...this seems strange. Aren't the calves fairly
important muscles for kicking?

M.

Old December 21st 05, 06:31 PM posted to rec.sport.swimming

Life's too short to be small

If you're going to lift, do it hard, do it brief, low reps and high
weight. No more than once per week if you're going as hard as you
should.

What is swimming other than lots of reps with low resistance? No need
to repeat that in the weight room - you might as well stay in the pool.
Your desired outcome should be more muscle. That's what will fuel the
weight loss or at least change your muscle/fat ratio even if you stay
the same weight. Muscle takes calories to stay alive on your body.
Fat is inert.

There's only five primary exercises which are of value - squat (or leg
press), pull down, row, overhead press, chest press. Don't waste your
time with anything else. You can also dead lift in place of squat with
a trap bar.

With regard to intensity, as Arthur Jone's famously quipped, if you
haven't thrown up after a set, then you don't know the meaning of
intensity. However, I certainly don't recommend that kind of
intensity, especially if you're older. But the harder you go, the more
muscle mass you are going to add.

For myself, I could never integrate upper body weight work with
swimming. Too old or something. However leg work is great - not only
for strength but for the global metabolic conditioning. Ever do an IM
set and feel a bit woozy due to lack of fitness - you'll get the same
feeling if your work your legs hard. That's why Tom Dolan did squats.

good luck,
Eric

Old December 21st 05, 09:12 PM posted to rec.sport.swimming

Matt F wrote:
"didgerman" wrote in message
Matt F wrote:
[...]

In that case I'd switch between one heavy, low rep session, and one high
rep low weight session each week. Two's plenty with that amount of
swimming...

I was taking a look at my lifting routine and I noticed
there was no calf exercise...this seems strange. Aren't the calves fairly
important muscles for kicking?

No, you kick from your hips and thighs. I'd include some calf stuff
though, if only for the sake of balance. Most gyms have special
machine, or just use a leg press...

M.

Old December 22nd 05, 02:36 AM posted to rec.sport.swimming

Thanks a bunch for the info, it's very helpful. As another poster
mentioned, I was mistaken in my desire to stay away from building
muscle mass. Not sure why I wanted to avoid that; I think I just
wanted to see a better drop in overall weight rather than adding mass.
But screw that, it's all about the muscle/fat ratio, and how much I can
fawn over myself in the mirror, right?

Anyway, you said "low reps, high weight." I'll get a feel for weight
after some initial sessions, but what ballpark are we talking for reps?
10? 12? 15? Is there a maximum?

You also said I should do a hard session no more than once a week...but
my current workout plan is to go 3 days per week (every other day), and
swim on the off-days. That gives me one full day per week to recover.
Is that a bad idea? Will I be doing myself a disservice by not letting
my muscles recover enough?

Thanks, too, for your "top 5" exercises. I'll focus on those, but I
will inevitably incorporate others into my plan as well, just because I
like having an even ten exercises to do per lifting session (is that
too much?). I'm going to assume that 2 sets of high weight (gradually
increasing), 15-rep maximum is what I should shoot for. I just need to
figure out the best way to mix up all the exercises I want to do, which
could be tricky.

Matt

Old December 22nd 05, 02:37 AM posted to rec.sport.swimming

My reasoning was faulty. Thanks for illuminating, I'm definitely
on the right track now. Just need to get a solid plan in place and
make sure I'm not doing anything wrong...

Matt

Old December 22nd 05, 02:41 AM posted to rec.sport.swimming

One more point...as a breaststroker, I would imagine that hip abduction
excerises would be beneficial to my whip kick. Also, how are the "non
top 5" exercises like butterfly, leg curl, tricep press/extension, and
dips *not* useful as a swimmer? There are in my plan, currently, and I
have a hard time seeing them as a waste of time.

Thanks,

M.

Old December 22nd 05, 06:06 PM posted to rec.sport.swimming

The big myth in weight training is that you will "gain muscle". A
mature adult training full time would be LUCKY to gain 5 lbs of lean
muscle mass in a year.

Old December 22nd 05, 06:14 PM posted to rec.sport.swimming

wrote:
The big myth in weight training is that you will "gain muscle". A
mature adult training full time would be LUCKY to gain 5 lbs of lean
muscle mass in a year.

I'm sure you are right.

It reminds of a comment I read by a gym owner. He said the vast
majority of men come into his gym hoping to add lots of muscle. The
vast majority of women come into his gym afraid they will add too much
muscle.

The men are almost always disappointed with their results since they
don't bulk up like Arnold S. or any other "easygainer". And the women
are almost never disappointed because they obviously put on even less
muscle than the men, which is what they want.

Eric