Treadmill headrush?

Old March 11th 04, 03:57 AM
Help Me

Default Treadmill headrush?

I used a treadmill today for the first time.
When I was done and walked off the treadmill,
I felt a "headrush" -- a disorienting feeling.

Is that normal? Or does it mean that I did
something wrong?

I walk and bike ride periodically. I tend to
walk at 4 MPH on flat terrain.

On the treadmill, I ramped up to 4.3 MPH, the
speed at which I walked for most of the time.
I used the treadmill for about 30 min. That
includes 5 min of warm-up and cool-down. I did
the cool-down manually. The "cool down" button
wanted to slow the treadmill to 1.3 MPH. I
cannot walk that slow :-). I kept myself well
hydrated during the exercise. I was not hungry
at the time I exercised.
Old March 11th 04, 06:23 AM
Peter Webb

Absolutely normal.

The first time I used the treadmill, when I got off it felt like I was
falling backwards (or the world around me was suddenly moving forwards).

Enjoy the feeling, it only happens the first few times you use the
treadmill.

om...

Old March 11th 04, 05:49 PM
Help Me

"Peter Webb" wrote:
"Help Me" wrote:
I used a treadmill today for the first time.
When I was done and walked off the treadmill,
I felt a "headrush" -- a disorienting feeling.

Absolutely normal.

Enjoy the feeling, it only happens the first few
times you use the treadmill.

Why does this happen? Note that I am not new to
aerobic exercise or walking.

What is it about a treadmill that is different
than natural walking (at the same speed) that the
body needs to adjust to? Is walking on a treadmill
mechanically different from natural walking?
Old March 12th 04, 11:45 AM
Peter Webb

No, its a perception / optical illusion thingie.

Have a go at:

http://www.optillusions.com/dp/1-42.htm

This is a similar thing - your eye/brain compensates/adapts for the
movement, and when the movement stops the compensation makes stationary
things appear to be moving in the opposite direction.

"Help Me" wrote in message
om...

Old March 12th 04, 05:42 PM
Denise Howard

In article , Peter Webb
wrote:

No, its a perception / optical illusion thingie.

Have a go at:

http://www.optillusions.com/dp/1-42.htm

This is a similar thing - your eye/brain compensates/adapts for the
movement, and when the movement stops the compensation makes stationary
things appear to be moving in the opposite direction.

I used to experience the same thing when dismounting my parents' riding
lawnmower after a long bout of mowing.

--
Denise denise dot howard at comcast dot net
ACE and AFAA certified fitness instructor
Old January 11th 14, 08:14 PM
Prekrasnoe Prekrasnoe is offline
Junior Member

Very good and*informative*exchange*..*Thank you!
192.168.1.1
192.168.0.1