Just starting out --- Need advice

Old October 9th 04, 06:19 AM
NickL28

Default Just starting out --- Need advice

I AM 28 male 5'6" 120 lbs.

Can someone give me a good workout plan to start. I just joined a gym
& plan to work out 3-5 days a week.

I am also looking for quick results, so any recommendations on
supplements etc..???
Old October 9th 04, 09:29 AM
Larry Hodges

NickL28 wrote:
I AM 28 male 5'6" 120 lbs.

Can someone give me a good workout plan to start. I just joined a gym
& plan to work out 3-5 days a week.

I am also looking for quick results, so any recommendations on
supplements etc..???

Welcome to mfw! This is the place to hang out if you want advice. Lots of
good folks with advice here.

Quick results? What's quick? Six months? Two years? If you're looking
for six week results, buy a Bowflex. If you don't see the humor in that,
you should really buy one. Hopefully you do, and will stay, and train. But
there is no quick results kid. Sorry.
--
-Larry

Old October 9th 04, 04:04 PM
Hugh Beyer

"Larry Hodges" wrote in
:

NickL28 wrote:
I AM 28 male 5'6" 120 lbs.

Can someone give me a good workout plan to start. I just joined a gym
& plan to work out 3-5 days a week.

I am also looking for quick results, so any recommendations on
supplements etc..???

Welcome to mfw! This is the place to hang out if you want advice. Lots
of good folks with advice here.

Quick results? What's quick? Six months? Two years? If you're
looking for six week results, buy a Bowflex. If you don't see the humor
in that, you should really buy one. Hopefully you do, and will stay,
and train. But there is no quick results kid. Sorry.

For a workout plan, try http://www.stumptuous.com/weights.html (ignore the
"for women" stuff.)

For lots of information try the faq: http://www.trygve.com/mfw_faq.html

The short version goes: 3 x week, under an hour each time is fine; whole-
body workouts of compound movements are best; work up to your heaviest
weight and do 2 sets, not to failure; keep adding weights as you can and
every so often back off and take an easy week, then build up again. A good
mix of exercises might be Squats, Pullups, Bench press, Deadlift, Military
press, Rows, Biceps curls, Triceps (e.g. French press). ($1 to Wayne.)

That will keep you busy for quite a while.

Oh, and if "results" means "gain weight," eat!

Hugh

--
One puppy had its dewclaws removed in the creation of this post, but for
reasons of hygene and it really doesn't hurt them at all.