newbie just starting out and looking for advice!

Old December 9th 04, 03:24 AM
forever darkness

Default newbie just starting out and looking for advice!

i hope this group is active!

i need to start jogging. i'm aiming to get on the provincial police
force in a few months and just recently discovered that all the cardio
work i do at the gym is pretty much bunk when it comes to running!

i called a place nearby called "the running room" where i talked to a
guy who said he'd help me get started and build up a schedule. i went
in tonight and was *sorely* disappointed. the guy wanted me to join a
group jog so he could assess me. no thank you. i know how bad i am,
and putting me in a group of medium level joggers is the best way to
discourage and embarass me, even if it's just to assess me.

i'm supposed to meet up with the guy on sunday where he'll do a
private assessment. but i want to get some research and knowledge
down first, so if this doesn't work out, i have a start on something.

so... that being said... how do i start?? i know i could just throw
on some shoes and workout clothing and run out my front door, but
there's a bit more to it than that!

i'm asthmatic. it's not serious, but running does tend to trigger it
off. i have to start slow to make sure i don't cause an attack. i
know that over time it'll get easier... i used to ref at a paintball
field and was one of the runners on our competitive team. this was
for short speed sprints though, and usually in the bush (i've noticed
a significant difference in cross country running and regular street
jogging).

how do i carry a water bottle around? i thought of that this evening.
it can't go in my pocket. it'll fall out. i was told a fanny pack.
what about a backpack? i have a small stuffed animal backpack that i
put a camel back water bladder in for cross country cycling. would
that work? or would it bounce around too much?

what are some good clothes to wear? i showed up at the club this
evening with yoga pants, a tank top, and a hoodie. i felt extremely
intimidated by the "professional" gear that everyone was wearing, but
i can't afford that right now. i have long spandex cycling pants.
are those ok?

a friend told me to find a park and stay on grass and trails instead
of pavement, since that will cause knee and back damage. she has a
bum knee and pavement always caused it to flare up. is this a good
idea?

i know i need to get a better pair of shoes. what i have right now
are a pair of hiking type runners that i use for weight lifting
classes at the gym. are these good for now, until i can go out and
get a good pair?

any other hints and ideas on how to start would be *much* appreciated!
i hope to stick around here and learn a lot!

cassandra
=, (\_/) ,= cassandra |http://darkness.mine.nu/spirit
/`-'--(")--'-'\ forever darkness |spiritATcyberbeachDOTnet
/ (___) \ geek girl |http://darkness.mine.nu
/.-.-./ " " \.-.-.\ |"embrace the darkness"
____________________________________|_____________ ____________________
Sorcerer's parking only. Violators will be toad.

DLU Code: http://www.dragonlanceunderground.com
WD- AFDL+++ SAFDL++ DLIRC DLC DLML- KE+ DLCG- DLRP+ AOM+ CAN-- LSR+
RVD RW+ RE++
Old December 9th 04, 04:08 AM
frank-in-toronto

On Wed, 08 Dec 2004 21:24:24 -0500, forever darkness
wrote:

i hope this group is active!

i need to start jogging. i'm aiming to get on the provincial police
force in a few months and just recently discovered that all the cardio
work i do at the gym is pretty much bunk when it comes to running!

ok. that's it then. spell out your goal. 12 minute mile?
some distance in some time. once you give a definite
goal, then specific training will help you get there.
basically, just start. jog slow. walk a bit. jog some more.
walk a bit. keep this up. aim for time. then aim for less walk.
your shoes probably are awful. wise to change them as soon
as you can to proper fitting street runners. the running room
will be able to fit you properly.

i wouldn't bother with group runs or even that assesment.
just get out, RIGHT NOW, and start. evry day you don't run
is one more day off your training. and if you need to be
improved in a few months, well, better get cracking.

one more thing: i would say do a hard/easy progression.
that is. one day is hard (fast, long, hills,whatever). next
day is easy (slow, shorter, flat, something not so tough).
keep it going. there's nothing magic about getting fit.
you just gotta put in the time.

as for a schedule...once you define your goals, look around
on the net. you'll find something suitable. search for
"beginner running schedule" There's lots.
....thehick
Old December 9th 04, 08:28 AM
np426z

"forever darkness" wrote in message

i hope this group is active!

Depends how you define 'active'. It's *here*, just don't expect too much
useful/relevant info from its wildlife...

i need to start jogging. i'm aiming to get on the provincial police
force in a few months and just recently discovered that all the cardio
work i do at the gym is pretty much bunk when it comes to running!

Simple, really.

Before you do anything else, get a 'Ventolin' (or any 'reliever') inhaler.
Know how to use it and carry it at all times when you're running. Go put
your sports shoes on. Run a mile - measure it using your car milometer,
it'll be close enough - come back here and post your time. Don't be
ashamed if you have to walk, but do try to run *hard* for the whole mile.
Tell me what you weigh, your age (ok, you needn't be *too* honest on this
given that you're a grrl) and how you felt at various stages on your run.
From this we'll work out a plan.

Like I said, simple really.

btw, like the site, though couldn't get half of it to work. D'ya like
Evanescence? Saw them in Birmingham (UK) and Paris (yup, the concert
that's on their dvd) this year. Not a great fan of Goths or body piercing
(sorry!) but I luv the band :-)

Oh, if you're worried about stalkers, be *very* wary of 'fabulustrunner' and
his many faces. He sends strange email and avi's. So do a couple of
others in this group. Sign of the times, I guess. I'm sure I don't need
to tell you not to open or reply to any of them...

Roger.

Old December 9th 04, 01:20 PM
np426z

"Lanceandrew" wrote in message

i don't think you've given us enough info. can you perhaps provide us a

more
thorough perspective of the situation?

Sometimes you are such a complete **** that I find myself shouting at my
computer screen. Please stop it, 'cause I'm frightening my cats.

Old December 9th 04, 01:39 PM
FabulustRunner

Depends how you define 'active'. It's *here*, just don't expect too much
useful/relevant info from its wildlife...

Defeniately true if you listen to this knob.

From this we'll work out a plan.

Follow this advice, and you're doomed. Our "faux Dr" here is responsible for
more injuries than Nikes.
Old December 9th 04, 01:44 PM
forever darkness

frank-in-toronto wrote:

ok. that's it then. spell out your goal. 12 minute mile?
some distance in some time. once you give a definite
goal, then specific training will help you get there.

just did some research... it appears to be 1.5 miles in 11.5 minutes.

basically, just start. jog slow. walk a bit. jog some more.
walk a bit. keep this up. aim for time. then aim for less walk.
your shoes probably are awful. wise to change them as soon
as you can to proper fitting street runners. the running room
will be able to fit you properly.

i'll go looking for shoes today then.

i wouldn't bother with group runs or even that assesment.
just get out, RIGHT NOW, and start. evry day you don't run
is one more day off your training. and if you need to be
improved in a few months, well, better get cracking.

if i can get the shoes today, i'll start today. i was going to start
with the shoes i have, but the more i think about it, the more i think
that's a bad idea.

and i'll definitely stay out of the group runs. as much as i prefer a
group of people to be with, i can't afford putting this off and the
fact that i'll probably just feel inadequate.

one more thing: i would say do a hard/easy progression.
that is. one day is hard (fast, long, hills,whatever). next
day is easy (slow, shorter, flat, something not so tough).
keep it going. there's nothing magic about getting fit.
you just gotta put in the time.

ok... i'll try this.

as for a schedule...once you define your goals, look around
on the net. you'll find something suitable. search for
"beginner running schedule" There's lots.

thanks!

cassandra
=, (\_/) ,= cassandra |http://darkness.mine.nu/spirit
/`-'--(")--'-'\ forever darkness |spiritATcyberbeachDOTnet
/ (___) \ geek girl |http://darkness.mine.nu
/.-.-./ " " \.-.-.\ |"embrace the darkness"
____________________________________|_____________ ____________________
Hatred is the coward's revenge for being intimidated.

BodMod Code: http://iam.bmezine.com/modcode.exe
MAS$ a- D--()$ d(-)$ b-:@ P+++++$ T+$ [email protected] !S [email protected] [email protected] c--:$ R$ [email protected]
x++++++
Old December 9th 04, 01:51 PM
forever darkness

"np426z" wrote:

i hope this group is active!

Depends how you define 'active'. It's *here*, just don't expect too much
useful/relevant info from its wildlife...

active as in "there are people here posting relevent information".
too many times i pop into a newsgroup to ask a question and the only
thing that exists in the group is spam and spammers.

Before you do anything else, get a 'Ventolin' (or any 'reliever') inhaler.
Know how to use it and carry it at all times when you're running. Go put
your sports shoes on. Run a mile - measure it using your car milometer,
it'll be close enough - come back here and post your time. Don't be
ashamed if you have to walk, but do try to run *hard* for the whole mile.
Tell me what you weigh, your age (ok, you needn't be *too* honest on this
given that you're a grrl) and how you felt at various stages on your run.
From this we'll work out a plan.

k... i'm going to try to get out and buy some shoes today. thinking
about it, i can't afford to mess up my knees or back. i have a
cycling class at 9 and weights at 12, so i should be able to fit it in
there somewhere.

btw, like the site, though couldn't get half of it to work.

i started revamping and rebuilding it, and then wandered off! i
do need to fix it. my main issue is that i need a new design and
layout, and while i'm a programmer / web programmer, i have as much
design talent as a monkey. i need to poke a few friends and see if i
can get them to do a concept design for me!

D'ya like
Evanescence? Saw them in Birmingham (UK) and Paris (yup, the concert
that's on their dvd) this year. Not a great fan of Goths or body piercing
(sorry!) but I luv the band :-)

i don't mind evanescence, but they're definitely not goth! i'm
more into bands like NIN, apoptygma berzerk, vnv nation, and a few
others.

Oh, if you're worried about stalkers, be *very* wary of 'fabulustrunner' and
his many faces. He sends strange email and avi's. So do a couple of
others in this group. Sign of the times, I guess. I'm sure I don't need
to tell you not to open or reply to any of them...

oh lovely. i'm not too worried about them, as i have the resources to
protect myself as well as deal with them. hopefully they'll just
bugger off tho. thanks for the warning!

cassandra
=, (\_/) ,= cassandra |http://darkness.mine.nu/spirit
/`-'--(")--'-'\ forever darkness |spiritATcyberbeachDOTnet
/ (___) \ geek girl |http://darkness.mine.nu
/.-.-./ " " \.-.-.\ |"embrace the darkness"
____________________________________|_____________ ____________________
The animals of the world exist for their own reasons. They were not
made for humans any more than black people were made for whites or
women for men.
-- Alice Walker

Goth Code: http://ativan.netdesign.net/~moses/gc98.html
ANLfia4eaSabav4eLcqq54hzACPGta3nmoludZaH3sIaGj4s2a Gd5naiinjDciiHJhaTdFiAnf8baasNjuqYZZFaaaGbaeca
Old December 9th 04, 02:51 PM
np426z

"forever darkness" wrote in message

active as in "there are people here posting relevent information".

Then the answer is 'no' :-)

k... i'm going to try to get out and buy some shoes today.

Though I hate to agree with the resident crazies, ASICS have some nice
midprice shoes out at the mo', as do Saucony.

i need to poke a few friends and see if i
can get them to do a concept design for me!

Y'should, 'cause it looked interesting. Nothing worse than visiting a site
and you can't see all the things you *really* want to find out about.

i don't mind evanescence, but they're definitely not goth!

Ha! I *knew* you'd say that! They're Goths to me.

i'm
more into bands like NIN, apoptygma berzerk, vnv nation, and a few
others.

Whoa! Too 'dark' for little 'ole me.

oh lovely. i'm not too worried about them, as i have the resources to
protect myself as well as deal with them. hopefully they'll just
bugger off tho. thanks for the warning!

I should at this point note that I'm also one of the resident trolls, though
I'm quite benign and - when I take a liking to a poster - have been known to
offer useful information entirely for free. It's indicative of the state
of this newsgroup when one of the trolls knows more about the subject that
98% of the 'real' posters.

Safe runnin'

Roger.

Old December 9th 04, 02:52 PM
np426z

"FabulustRunner" wrote in message

Depends how you define 'active'. It's *here*, just don't expect too

much
useful/relevant info from its wildlife...

Defeniately true if you listen to this knob.

Mr Grumpy. Have you missed your breakfast again?

Old December 9th 04, 04:07 PM
Donovan Rebbechi

On 2004-12-09, forever darkness wrote:

i called a place nearby called "the running room" where i talked to a
guy who said he'd help me get started and build up a schedule. i went
in tonight and was *sorely* disappointed. the guy wanted me to join a
group jog so he could assess me. no thank you. i know how bad i am,

But you're probably not the only person who finds running to be a challenge.
You're probably not the first beginner he's asked to join the training
session, and you wouldn't be the only beginner in the group.

and putting me in a group of medium level joggers is the best way to
discourage and embarass me, even if it's just to assess me.

Well I suppose it's up to you, but I train with such a group, and there is
a broad spectrum of runners. They break up into subgroups according to pace.
The requirement for the beginner group is "can walk briskly for 20 minutes".
There are a lot of people in the beginner group (much more in that group than
in my group)

There are others in this forum who are involved in such training groups, and
they also have beginners in their group.

You don't need to be an elite runner or even a "medium level jogger" to run
with a group.

so... that being said... how do i start?? i know i could just throw
on some shoes and workout clothing and run out my front door, but
there's a bit more to it than that!

As others have said, get some shoes.

how do i carry a water bottle around? i thought of that this evening.

Wouldn't worry about carrying water for short runs (30 min or less).

what are some good clothes to wear? i showed up at the club this
evening with yoga pants, a tank top, and a hoodie. i felt extremely

Sounds OK. Any workout clothing made of synthetic material (so it doesn't get
drenched) is fine. Cotton is OK, but try to avoid wearing it on the bottom
layer -- if you're wearing layers, the bottom layer needs to handle moisture
well.

intimidated by the "professional" gear that everyone was wearing, but
i can't afford that right now. i have long spandex cycling pants.
are those ok?

Yes, those will do just fine.

a friend told me to find a park and stay on grass and trails instead
of pavement, since that will cause knee and back damage. she has a
bum knee and pavement always caused it to flare up. is this a good
idea?

Pavement is OK, grass is also OK. The idea that running on pavement is
"dangerous" is a myth perpetuated by misunderstandings about what causes
running injuries.

i know i need to get a better pair of shoes. what i have right now
are a pair of hiking type runners that i use for weight lifting
classes at the gym. are these good for now, until i can go out and
get a good pair?

What is the brand and model of shoe ? If they're trail running shoes, they may
be OK.

Cheers,
--
Donovan Rebbechi