starting to get fit...advice?

Old July 25th 05, 11:03 AM
izzy izzy is offline
Junior Member

Default starting to get fit...advice?

is there any perticular routine i should be following when starting to get fit? I am a few stone overweight, and have smaller lungs than most people - so i find when i do work out i get very red, very quickly. I also find that somedays i get very weak or tired quickly ...and somedays i can excercise for hours. Could this be down to what i eat/how much sleep i get the day before.etc? I tend to exercise at home first thing in a morning, usually between 7-8am.. is there anything perticular i should eat before hand, and how long should i wait before exercising. My doctor has provided me with no advice, other than to loose a few pounds. but where should i start and how should i go about it?! Thanks.x
Old July 25th 05, 07:34 PM
Harry

Izzy,

See my response to Al. The same applies to you, although the target
heart rate range will be different, based on your age. An approximate
method to use to determine it is to take 220 - your age. That gives
you your MAX. Then take 70% and 80% of that MAX number. There's your
target cardio heart rate range: 70%-80% of your MAX.

As far as what to eat before, how much to sleep, etc., that is quite a
bit more involved. You should sleep 7-8 hours every night. Period.
You should eat your base metabolic rate of calories everyday to
maintain your weight; 500 calories a day less than that number in order
to lose about a pound a week and not burn up any muscle in so doing.

Since it seems you have time to workout in the morning, I'd suggest the
following sequence. Get up in the morning, before you eat ANYTHING,
and go do your cardio. When your muscles are depleted of any glycose
stores, it will choose to burn fat while you are doing your cardio,
provided you stay in the 70-80% cardio range as mentioned above.

Now with cardio out of the way for the day, eat normally throughout the
day and plan for your strength training in the afternoon / evening.
That way your muscle's glycose stores are replenished from the
nutrition of the day. These stores are important because they are
where your muscles get their primary fule from for the lifting session.

I could go on and on, but I think you will go far if you apply what I
just mentioned. Good luck and let us know how you progress.

Chris

Starting out again Joe Running 16 August 24th 04 06:57 PM
Weights whilst trying to lose fat.. advice please ? NC Weights 15 April 29th 04 09:38 AM
Send a protest about Ian Thorpe Murray Swimming 73 April 8th 04 08:42 AM
Cutting phase - need advice :) No way Weights 57 March 3rd 04 07:36 AM
Advice Please --> Gaining muscle after 18 months illness Jarrod Bernhardt Weights 1 September 13th 03 03:15 AM