Runner's High (not from what we think)

Old October 19th 15, 09:59 PM posted to rec.running
totsob

Default Runner's High (not from what we think)

On Mon, 19 Oct 2015 10:37:32 -0700 (PDT), Ed Prochak
wrote:

There is a new study noted in Scientific American article
http://www.scientificamerican.com/ar...SA_WR_20151014

Here's the opening of the article:

After a nice long bout of aerobic exercise, some people experience what’s known as a “runner’s high”: a feeling of euphoria coupled with reduced anxiety and a lessened ability to feel pain. For decades, scientists have associated this phenomenon with an increased level in the blood of ?-endorphins, opioid peptides thought to elevate mood.

Now, German researchers have shown the brain’s endocannabinoid system—the same one affected by marijuana’s ?9-tetrahydrocannabinol (THC)—may also play a role in producing runner’s high, at least in mice (Proc. Natl. Acad. Sci. USA 2015, DOI: 10.1072/pnas.1514996112).

So we aren't getting as much of an opium high, as we're getting a marijuana high.

Well, at least after running, one also feels a sense of accomplshment.
The munchies are different also.

Runner's High Mullin9 Weights 0 June 19th 14 05:52 AM
Runner's High Michelle Running 10 April 2nd 08 05:03 PM
High School Runner Log Gary Running 8 April 9th 07 04:54 PM
High School Runner Log Gary Running 0 April 3rd 07 12:17 AM
Runner's High - Article David Drake Running 3 January 19th 04 11:27 PM