Newbie question: moving from dumbell squats to barbell squats

Old June 14th 04, 03:03 PM
Renee

Default Newbie question: moving from dumbell squats to barbell squats

I've been reading Krista's site and this newsgroup for a while, but
this is the first time I've posted. Since the end of February, I've
been regularly lifting weights at home two or three times a week. I
used to do squats with a pair of dumbells held to my chest. I made
sure my feet were flat to the floor, my knees didn't pass my toes,
back didn't round, and that I went below parallel. Last week, I bought
a barbell (it's 10 pounds), because I was squatting 40 pounds, and I
thought I should start doing the barbell ones. I guess the dumbells
helped balance me, because I kept falling over backwards with the bar.
Even when I try squatting by myself, I fall over. So, now I'm starting
over with just the bar. Are there any tricks I can use, or do I just
need to build up some other muscles?

Renee
Old June 14th 04, 06:03 PM
BunnyKilla

Renee wrote:
I've been reading Krista's site and this newsgroup for a while, but
this is the first time I've posted. Since the end of February, I've
been regularly lifting weights at home two or three times a week. I
used to do squats with a pair of dumbells held to my chest. I made
sure my feet were flat to the floor, my knees didn't pass my toes,
back didn't round, and that I went below parallel. Last week, I bought
a barbell (it's 10 pounds), because I was squatting 40 pounds, and I
thought I should start doing the barbell ones. I guess the dumbells
helped balance me, because I kept falling over backwards with the bar.
Even when I try squatting by myself, I fall over. So, now I'm starting
over with just the bar. Are there any tricks I can use, or do I just
need to build up some other muscles?

Renee

The first thing you need to do is set up some safety equipment just in
case you fall with the loaded bar.

I always found squatting with an empty bar was harder to do than if you
had some weight in it too. I'd suggest adding a bit of weight to help
you balance, after your safety equipment has been set up!

bunnykilla

Old June 14th 04, 08:25 PM
JayB

"BunnyKilla" wrote in message
Renee wrote:
[...]

I noticed that too. When I'm doing a 50% warm-up set it's harder to balance
than when the bar is fully loaded.

--
JayB

Old June 14th 04, 11:51 PM
Nikolai Michaleski

Carl wrote:

(Renee) wrote in message . com...
I've been reading Krista's site and this newsgroup for a while, but
this is the first time I've posted. Since the end of February, I've
been regularly lifting weights at home two or three times a week. I
used to do squats with a pair of dumbells held to my chest. I made
sure my feet were flat to the floor, my knees didn't pass my toes,
back didn't round, and that I went below parallel. Last week, I bought
a barbell (it's 10 pounds), because I was squatting 40 pounds, and I
thought I should start doing the barbell ones. I guess the dumbells
helped balance me, because I kept falling over backwards with the bar.
Even when I try squatting by myself, I fall over. So, now I'm starting
over with just the bar. Are there any tricks I can use, or do I just
need to build up some other muscles?

Renee

That is way too light of a weight to be doing squats with (from past
experience). When I first started weightlifting I was squatting around
140lb's, but if you haven't got that much weight, then just make do
with what you have. I'm sure if you find it difficult, then it'll
work.

There's no such thing as too light to start with. The dumbells held on your chest were helping to center
your weight. Now that the bar is behind your neck, your centre of gravity is further back too. It's ok to
lean forward to adjust for this. Just make sure you're tilting from the hips, and not curving your back
forward. You can also try resting the bar over your collar bone and shoulders infront of your neck. Lift
your arms up and cross your forarms together a la' "Russian bear dance" style. You now have a perfect ledge
on which to rest the bar.

newbie question ray miller Weights 9 January 6th 04 01:15 AM
newbie question: BB diet management Trevor Weights 9 November 16th 03 03:19 AM
Question about Squats Donovan Rebbechi Weights 29 October 13th 03 08:43 PM
Newbie question Rob Weights 54 August 19th 03 10:34 PM
Newbie question! Donovan Rebbechi Weights 4 August 13th 03 05:04 PM