running shoes too old?

Old September 19th 16, 03:11 AM posted to rec.running
Bart Mathias

Default running shoes too old?

I was out walk-jogging (coddling a sore knee) a couple days ago in my
favorite running shoes (the original Nike Free 4.9) when I noticed that
something was flapping behind my left foot.

I was almost home and out of the rain, so I didn't stop to check it out
until I opened the first floor door, but whatever it was came off under
the door.

It turns out it was my sock liner. It had slipped out a hole in the heel
of my shoe. I've had the hole for years but that never happened before.
The hole is probably getting bigger, but the wetness I was jogging in
may have played a role. I'll see if the sock liner stays in on dryer days.

Otherwise I'll finally have to give up using those shoes, which I
started running in on May 6th 2005.
Old July 7th 17, 02:08 AM posted to rec.running
rms[_3_]

Time for some Nike Vapor Flys!

rms
Old May 17th 18, 03:16 AM
Simi123 Simi123 is offline
Junior Member

Smile

Are your shoes too old?
We are in the middle of the running season and most runner’s shoes will be close to the end of their life. While most injuries occur because of training mistakes it can be easy to neglect the ‘aging’ of your running shoes leading to a usually avoidable injury.

The most common reason for a running shoe causing an injury is because they are too old or the cushioning has compressed from the months of training. This aging process can be difficult to recognise in a shoe because there are usually minimal physical signs of age.

However, there are a few things you should learn to recognise so that you avoid injury and enjoying your running.

The 4 early signs of an aged shoe
Delayed muscle recovery: Do you get excessively sore muscles, bones, ligaments following a run?
Niggles: Are you starting to notice minor injuries that make running uncomfortable?
‘Hot’ spots: Do your feet feel like they are burning?
Excessive wear on the outsole rubber: Have you worn through the rubber on the sole to the midsole (ie: the soft white part of the shoe)?
Take the time to update your running shoes. Don’t leave it too late to change your shoes and risk getting an injury. As a general rule of thumb, the lifespan of a running shoe is approximately 600km. Remember, incidental walking around contributes to your running shoes life.

Running shoes Michelle Running 8 October 9th 10 03:14 AM
How to change from regular running shoes to minimalist shoes such as Five Fingers Jos Bergervoet Running 0 October 16th 09 06:16 PM
Running Shoes Merlin Running 19 September 5th 05 01:09 PM
best running shoes? Robert Megee Running 79 August 24th 05 07:39 PM