running the mile in PE class

Old October 4th 04, 07:32 PM
Dan Carlino

Default running the mile in PE class

I have seen that some schools are eliminating the mile run for
students in PE class. I have always thought that it was a bad idea to
grade students on how fast they can run the mile, but eliminating it
is wrong. Are there any PE teachers that still have the mile run as
part of the fitness testing?
Old October 5th 04, 01:59 AM
Etherized

Then he writes:but eliminating it
is wrong.

Isn't that self-cancelling?

_______
HREF="http://journals.aol.com/virginiaz/DreamingofLeonardo"http://journal
s.aol.com/virginiaz/DreamingofLeonardo/A

Old October 5th 04, 03:12 AM
JMA

"Dan Carlino" wrote in message
om...
I have seen that some schools are eliminating the mile run for
students in PE class. I have always thought that it was a bad idea to
grade students on how fast they can run the mile, but eliminating it
is wrong. Are there any PE teachers that still have the mile run as
part of the fitness testing?

Our PE teachers (middle school) bring the kids out to the track and have
them do a mile - running or walking, students' choice. Participation in the
fitness test is optional and does include running.

Jenn

Old October 5th 04, 03:35 AM
Bear G

Heather M wrote:
I think
what they should do instead of eliminating it, is to have the students
wear heart-rate monitors and tell them they must be in their target
heart rate zone for a set amount of time.

Where would the schools get the money for HRMs?

(There's also the practical issue of the variability in MHR in the
population.)
Old October 5th 04, 06:30 AM
Lyndon

Sam wrote:

Screw the HR. For one thing that is an expense not many schools are going
to take on. Just have them run for as long as they want and whatever pace
they want just so they keep moving for 30 or 40 minutes. The less structure
and the less it seems like punishment the better.

Using a HRM to guage exercise activity (not necessarily limited to running) is
part of the state curriculum guidelines for 7th grade PE in California. The
idea is to teach a life skill; In high school cross country we do not use HRMs.

BTW, we also have homework for PE in middle and high schools. This is a daily
activity log to try to encourage kids to do at least 20 min/day of exercise
activity outside of school to counteract the trend toward teenage obesity.

Lyndon
"Speed Kills...It kills those that don't have it!" --US Olympic Track Coach
Brooks Johnson

Old October 5th 04, 08:06 AM
Brilliant One

like punishment the better.