This time last year

Old January 14th 05, 02:59 PM
Treefrog

Default This time last year

This time last year I started walking seriously. My first venture was a solo
walk into the fairly sparse snow on rossett pike on new years day. By no
means a long walk, but my god, it felt like one back then!

This time last year I spent nearly every weekend in January and February
somewhere in the lakes or Scotland with my friends walking up anything and
everything we could find. From grade 1 gullies on Esk pike in flimsy boots
with no axe or crampons (we didn't know), to cooking Stag chilli on
Blencathra in the snow and wind.

This time last year I was learning that learning to navigate properly before
venturing out is a very good idea, on Kirk fell/Great gable. 3 hours of
total whiteout panic added to my log book there.

This time last year I walked up Ben Nevis thinking how good I must be only
to be totally humbled by the guys popping their heads out of various gullies
and shouting "SAFE!"

This time THIS year, I'm two weeks away from an ice climbing holiday in
Scotland, looking at the weather forecast and seeing +8 degrees at night! So
much for the coldest Winter on record, pfft!
I tell you, if the ODG stopped making those curries, the greenhouse gases
would soon reduce and I can get back to my winter wonderlands.

Nathan

Old January 14th 05, 05:23 PM
Phil Cook

On Fri, 14 Jan 2005 14:59:54 -0000, Treefrog wrote:

This time THIS year, I'm two weeks away from an ice climbing holiday in
Scotland, looking at the weather forecast and seeing +8 degrees at night! So
much for the coldest Winter on record, pfft!
I tell you, if the ODG stopped making those curries, the greenhouse gases
would soon reduce and I can get back to my winter wonderlands.

You should take a look at the SAIS avalance forecast archive on
http://www.sais.gov.uk/forecast_arch...son/2005.01.13

Scroll right down to the bottom where the Creag Meagaidh reporter is
in his usual playful mood with comments:

CLIMBING CONDITIONS
SNOW DISTRIBUTION: Light general cover of snow at all
levels.
ICING: Winter lines developing but quantity and quality
variable and suspect - becoming more suspect with a thaw
forecast.
COMMENT: Winter is here. No it's not. Yes it is?

Old January 14th 05, 05:25 PM
Mike Brockhurst

This time last year I spent nearly every weekend in January and February
somewhere in the lakes or Scotland with my friends walking up anything and
everything we could find. From grade 1 gullies on Esk pike in flimsy boots
with no axe or crampons (we didn't know), to cooking Stag chilli on
Blencathra in the snow and wind.

Give me a shout next time the Stag Chilli is on...yum yum!!

Old January 14th 05, 08:58 PM
Tony Simpkins

"Treefrog" wrote

This time last year I walked up Ben Nevis thinking how good I must

be only
to be totally humbled by the guys popping their heads out of various

gullies
and shouting "SAFE!"

You mean like this?
http://www.simpkins57.freeserve.co.u...evis5_640w.jpg

Tony Simpkins

Old January 15th 05, 09:18 PM
Peewiglet

wrote:

[...]

It sounds as though you've made great use of the year! Great hobby,
eh? :-)

Best wishes,
--
,,