New to running, will have to run 1.5 mile in 9:00...need info

Old May 9th 05, 02:35 PM

Default New to running, will have to run 1.5 mile in 9:00...need info

Hi,
Im going to have to run 1.5 mile in 9:00 -10:30 minutes. I am in pretty
good shape but have never done any running. I go to the track at a
local high school and go around 6 times but have difficulty pacing
myself.(also at this point Im completely exhausted, but getting better,
first time I tried I only got around twice.) What would be ideal is to
run to music with the proper beat pace myself correctly. How do
experienced joggers handle this? Also, as I have never done any running
before I have basic questions about form, what should contact the
ground first, the heel then roll to the toe, or should I lead with the
ball of the foor first..

Old May 9th 05, 02:42 PM

Hi,
Im going to have to run 1.5 mile in 9:00 -10:30 minutes.

Are you going to be a pig? That sounds like the test for porkers. If
so, disregard my advicem as I hate pigs.

How do
experienced joggers handle this?

There is no such thing as an "experienced jogger", because they all
take up running.

Also, as I have never done any running
before I have basic questions about form, what should contact the
ground first, the heel then roll to the toe, or should I lead with

the
ball of the foor first..

If you want to be a cop, you are to stupid to understand the answer.

Old May 9th 05, 03:51 PM
Donovan Rebbechi

On 2005-05-09, wrote:
Hi,
Im going to have to run 1.5 mile in 9:00 -10:30 minutes. I am in pretty
good shape but have never done any running. I go to the track at a
local high school and go around 6 times but have difficulty pacing
myself.

9:00 isn't that easy, but at least if you're young, male, and not overweight,
10:30 should be easy to accomplish, with a little training.

However, there's more to training than just getting out on the track and
trying to run 6 laps as fast as possible every night. You need to run longer
and slower. Get in the miles first.

Again, run them slowly! No need to get anywhere close to your 1.5 mile goal
pace on a day to day run. Speed is not the issue, endurance is. Anyone can
sprint 100m in under 25 seconds, the problem is maintaining some of that
speed. So focus on aerobic development by getting in miles at a pace that
allows you to get the distance in.

(also at this point Im completely exhausted, but getting better,
first time I tried I only got around twice.) What would be ideal is to
run to music with the proper beat pace myself correctly. How do

No. You don't want to slow down your stride rate. This will not help, because
stride rate doesn't change with pace. You want to keep good turnover, but take
small steps.

The way to pace yourself is to get a stopwatch, and check your time after 200m.
If you do the first 200m any faster than 1:07, slow down, and check your
watch at the next 200m. If those 200m were faster than 1:07, slow down some
more. I'm not joking. If your goal pace for 1.5 miles is 7 minutes per mile,
you don't need to train any faster than 9 minutes per mile. This may feel
excruiciatingly slow. But you'll be able to continue for longer, at least
8 laps (probably more like 12), in reasonable comfort. If you don't get to
12 laps on the first try, slow down to 10 minutes per mile next time (2:30
each lap, or 1:15 per 200m). The principal here is, if you can't maintain
speed, slow down until you can. If you get to the point where you are *still*
unable to keep going, at a pace of 12 minutes per mile (3 minutes per lap),
then consider walk breaks. But I'm guessing you'll be able to sustain a pace
of about 10 min per mile or faster.

experienced joggers handle this?

They slow down. I do most of my training runs at paces varying from 7:30-8:30
minutes per mile. I run the mile in 4:48. I run the *marathon* faster than my
training pace (as do most experienced runners who ahve run marathons). One
of the other posters here, Steve Common, is about as fast as me, and he does
his training runs at an even slower pace, often as slow as 10 minutes per mile.

Also, as I have never done any running
before I have basic questions about form, what should contact the
ground first, the heel then roll to the toe, or should I lead with the
ball of the foor first..

Just do whatever feels natural. But slow the hell down, until you can do some
laps without getting out of breath.

Cheers,
--
Donovan Rebbechi
http://pegasus.rutgers.edu/~elflord/
Old May 9th 05, 04:05 PM
[email protected]

Donny,
Don't help "the fuzz", if you do he might raid your stashes of cocaine,
methamphetamine, and roids.

Old May 10th 05, 12:19 AM
rick++

How do experienced joggers handle this?

They try to run all year round, not just for fitness tests.

Old May 10th 05, 12:33 AM
[email protected]com

rick++ wrote:
How do experienced joggers handle this?

They try to run all year round, not just for fitness tests.

Rick you dick, he's going to be a cop. As a rookie his job will be to
get donuts, therefore unless a stray crueller flees his juridiction, he
will never run again, and is destined to a life of fighting obesity,
before his fat, 55 YO ass drops dead (average life span for a
piggiepoo).

Old May 10th 05, 03:00 AM
TwitteringOne

"... also, as I have
Never done any runningc before
I have basic questions about form ~

What should contact the ground first,
The heel, then roll to the toe,
Or should I lead with the ball
Of the foot first ..."
~ Hell[p]

"... He'll pace allright but then look carefully

at how, reaching the edge, he turns around...

.... that quick step

revolving on the one hind leg, bringing the other down just as
the swivel ends, then giving over all the weight

to one front paw, onto each pad distinctly it would

seem, then onto number four and he's
around headed the other way

again."

~ Jorie Graham,
From "The Sense of an Ending,"
From "Erosion"

~ * canal

spread

beauty ~ !

!HOPE THAT HELPS!

~ * ~
Blog, or dog? Who knows.
But if you see my lost pup, please bring him home!
I got Leon a brand-new bone.
_________________
http://journals.aol.com/virginiaz/DreamingofLeonardo

Old May 10th 05, 05:06 AM
[email protected]

Yeah that was a big help, you psycho dyke idiot.

Old May 10th 05, 03:23 PM
rick++

he's going to be a cop.

Soldiers and firemen have these tests too. Sometimes annually.

Old May 11th 05, 03:30 AM
[email protected]

Oh...you know-it-all.