Mileage increases Marathon relay

Old December 18th 03, 12:31 AM
Brian B

Default Mileage increases Marathon relay

Working on my training for a 8 mile run in February - I've been tracking
my mileage since Thanksgiving, and I'm up to 20 miles this week - I'm
running 6 or 7 days a week, alternating long and steady with short and
fast with a long run on the weekends

Is a 10% increase sufficient? obviously there are those days when you
know after the first 1/4 mile that "hey - this is going to be an easy
day" - do I push myself to run farther? or put more energy into picking
up the pace..

My portion of the relay is the finish portion of the race - a 7.8 mile
relatively flat run, the only negative I can think of is that a portion
of it is along the water, and the prevailing wind pushes across that
road....

I'd like to finish in under 60 minutes and wonder if the "better runner"
factor (I'd be running my portion with the more "elite" runners due to
the relay - one person run 7.8, another 5.3 another 5.3 and I have the
last 7.8 leg....) am I wrong in assuming that the stronger runners
around me would have the "mental" impact??

I'm running a 25 minute 5K now and my 2.25 mile runs in 16:30 -

Am I dreaming?? (no bashing please...)

Old December 18th 03, 12:50 AM
TopCounsel

am I wrong in assuming that the stronger runners around me would have the
"mental" impact??

Not sure what you're really asking, but running with good runners will improve
your time, even if they kick your ass. Let them push you or pull you as the
case may be. I have often surprised myself with race times just because I got
in a little "competition" with someone on the course, and found that little bit
extra inside myself. I think running the tough leg should make you faster.
Old December 18th 03, 03:19 AM
The Messiah

Moron.
Old December 18th 03, 04:23 AM
Donovan Rebbechi

In article [email protected]_s54, Brian B wrote:
Working on my training for a 8 mile run in February - I've been tracking
my mileage since Thanksgiving, and I'm up to 20 miles this week - I'm
running 6 or 7 days a week, alternating long and steady with short and
fast with a long run on the weekends

Focusing on speed is a waste of time. You already have enough speed to run a
7.8 mile race. You don't have enough endurance.

Running faster than 9 minutes per mile more than twice a week is a waste of
effort. Didn't we go over this last time ?

Your milage is low, you're not running long enough, so your endurance is poor.

Suggestion: get yourself a book (for example, Bob Glovers competitive
runners handbook) and read it. Milage guidelines for the 12 weeks leading
up to the race are (10k basic competitors program):
18,20,22,25,25,27,27,28,28,26,22,25, 12 + race

The plan calls for long runs on alternate weeks. It's well worth looking at
some properly designed plans instead of making it up yourself (you don't
appear to have the background knowledge to design a good program).

Most of your training should be at a very easy pace. Again, this race is all
about endurance.

obviously there are those days when you
know after the first 1/4 mile that "hey - this is going to be an easy
day" - do I push myself to run farther? or put more energy into picking
up the pace..

You do neither of the above. You start with a well designed plan and stick
to it. The goal is not to be a hero in training. Consistency is more important.
Have a plan and follow it. Get in every single workout. This is what produces
results. Pushing too hard in training does more harm than good.

I'd like to finish in under 60 minutes and wonder if the "better runner"
factor (I'd be running my portion with the more "elite" runners due to
the relay - one person run 7.8, another 5.3 another 5.3 and I have the
last 7.8 leg....) am I wrong in assuming that the stronger runners
around me would have the "mental" impact??

I'm running a 25 minute 5K now and my 2.25 mile runs in 16:30 -

Am I dreaming?? (no bashing please...)

I think a more realistic goal would be to maintain your current 5k pace.

Even then, you will need a proper program. Trying to race in training is very
ill advised. Get a running book (again, recommending "Competitive runners
handbook, Bob Glover), find a decent 10k training program (it's close enough)
and stick with it.

Cheers,
--
Donovan Rebbechi