Race Report: Dallas White Rock (Half) Marathon, Dallas, Texas, USA

Old December 17th 03, 03:57 PM
M1ahearn

Default Race Report: Dallas White Rock (Half) Marathon, Dallas, Texas,

I read an article in The Beaver Beacon that said a judge in Dallas has
issued a cease and desist order for a live nativity scene there. It had
someting to do with truth in advertising. They couldn't find 3 wise men, or a
virgin in Texas, so they were using actors.

The judge was in Dallas; the nativity scene was in Mesquite, which also
had the shortage of wise men and virgins. There where wise men and virgins in
the rest of the state but none who were willing to go to Mesquite.

Mike
Old December 17th 03, 03:57 PM
M1ahearn

Default Race Report: Dallas White Rock (Half) Marathon, Dallas, Texas, USA

I actually liked this - it was a little uneven but very soft to run
on.
Not sink-down-into soft, just comfortably forgiving.

Yeah, it wasn't a problem, just a bit unusual for the biggest race in town.

Hey, this wasn't The Race For The Cure!

Good race and report.

Thanks! How'd you do?

1:59:09. I played a lot of Ultimate the day before; not the best way to
rest up for a long race. But they were league games, so I had to show up and
help us lose them.

After the national anthem, including fireworks and a flyover by three

fighter jets,

This strikes me as very "only in the U.S.":-) Was this a part of the tradition
for the marathon, or for all big sports events - or something special "for our
boys in Iraq"?

I think it's part of the tradition they're trying to start up as they
really want to move the White Rock Marathon up to the big time. They've said
they'd like to make it one of the top five marathons in the country.

Mike
Old December 17th 03, 05:17 PM
Brian Baresch

Yeah, it wasn't a problem, just a bit unusual for the biggest race in town.

Hey, this wasn't The Race For The Cure!

Um, I meant, uh, participants multiplied by distance. Yeah, that's
what I meant. I'm almost positive.

1:59:09. I played a lot of Ultimate the day before; not the best way to
rest up for a long race. But they were league games, so I had to show up and
help us lose them.

Way to take one for the team!

After the national anthem, including fireworks and a flyover by three

fighter jets,

This strikes me as very "only in the U.S.":-)

Ayup. Us Amerks loooove a flyover.

I think it's part of the tradition they're trying to start up as they
really want to move the White Rock Marathon up to the big time. They've said
they'd like to make it one of the top five marathons in the country.

Hmm. They want it larger, or more highly regarded, or both?

--
Brian P. Baresch
Fort Worth, Texas, USA

If you're going through hell, keep going. --Winston Churchill
Old December 17th 03, 05:17 PM
Brian Baresch

Latter half of Austin has little to no crowd support until the last
mile. Otherwise a good run. It is relatively fast. Good luck.

Thanks!

Old December 17th 03, 05:20 PM
Brian Baresch

(...) One person did pick me out, the Big Guy, my friendly rival
from the past two summers. He said he hasn't run 13 miles in quite a
while and was just out for some fun.

They *always* say something like that, the lying *******s!

Hah! We're more friendly than we are rivals, so it felt like just
shooting the breeze about training.

Amazing, a rival runner who actually was honest about the
amount of his training:-)

He knew I'd kick his butt! Seriously, he had no idea what kind of
shape he was in and said so, so if he beat me he could at least feign
surprise ...

Old December 17th 03, 10:07 PM
Andy Beach

M1ahearn wrote:
The mile 7 marker was AWOL -- I

thought I might just have missed it, but later I compared notes with a buddy
and he hadn't seen it either, so it probably wasn't there.

I didn't see it either.

ISTR that some of the later half-mara

markers were absent as well.

The only other one I didn't see was for mile ten.

Sounds like the race skipped the short out & back on Vanderbilt.
Skipping this would have cut out a little under 400 feet.
The Mile 7 point is a few after the turn-around.

The status of the half unique mile signs when they were picked up:
All standing and facing in the correct direction except -
a) 9 mile - laying face down on the ground
b) 11 mile - upright, but facing in the wrong direction.

Old December 17th 03, 10:08 PM
M1ahearn

I think it's part of the tradition they're trying to start up as they
really want to move the White Rock Marathon up to the big time. They've said
they'd like to make it one of the top five marathons in the country.

Hmm. They want it larger, or more highly regarded, or both?

Both, from what I hear. I thought I heard something about them wanting
15,000 to 20,000 runners next year - I'm assuming that's for all events
combined. I don't know how well that'll work - I thought the staging area was
kind of a mess this year, without about half that number of runners.

Mike
Old December 17th 03, 10:23 PM
M1ahearn

Sounds like the race skipped the short out & back on Vanderbilt. Skipping
this would have cut out a little under 400 feet.
The Mile 7 point is a few after the turn-around.

The course map in their instruction book doesn't show Vanderbilt; if we
were supposed to run down that street, you're right - it was skipped. That
would be an awfully short out-and-back, though.

Mike
Old December 18th 03, 08:07 AM
Brian Baresch

Both, from what I hear. I thought I heard something about them wanting
15,000 to 20,000 runners next year - I'm assuming that's for all events
combined. I don't know how well that'll work - I thought the staging area was
kind of a mess this year, without about half that number of runners.

I was surprised (forgot to put it in my original post) that they
didn't have pace signs in the starting crowd. With a field that size
you just about need them.