Where's Garrison??

Old June 30th 03, 09:12 AM
Katie

Default Where's Garrison??

"HoloBarre Systems" wrote in message
Van Bagnol wrote:

In article ,
"Shrill Pill [fmrly droll troll]" wrote:

I think I know...
The conversation around here has gotten pretty good/intelligent
lately, and I suspect intelligent conversation for Garrison is like
Borax for roaches

Originating a thread by posting personal taunts is neither pretty good
nor intelligent conversation.

Mr. Bagnol:

With all due respect to your school-marmish level-headed voice
of reason-edness, *where wuz you* when Garrison

1) proferred dat my suggested male bonding include fellatio;
2) offered to proctologically probe me;
3) suggested culinary stool;
3) a bevy of other lewd, unnatural, unhealthy, and in some states,
illegal acts??

Huh? Where wuz you then?

A shrill troll, yes; pettiness, perhaps; intelligent conversation, no.

Shrill troll don't rhyme; Drool Troll was a possibility. Shill
Pill is OK; Screachy Preachy a definite try; but Droll Troll reigns
supreme.

But I do grapple with doomsday ruminations, such as having to
choose between Garrison and Cardone on an isolated island. I guess
first and foremost would be who has less body hair. Second, since
Cardone is so clueless as to actually believe the Gazelle is worthwhile,
I figger once I beat Garrison's ass real good on said island, he might
actually be fair conversation.
As long as he don't have too much body hair...

What do YOU consider intelligent conversation? Clueless citations
of bogus """"""""research"""""""?? Please...

Van

Well, personally I consider intelligent conversation as using these boards
for what they were meant for, and not putting down others. While I can see
your points as to why Garrison offends people, I fail to see the point in
starting a thread about how happy people are that he is not around as much.
If people are so thrilled that he is gone, why antagonize the situation?
Why not just be happy about it and continue to use these boards for what
they were meant for? I may be wrong, but it seems to me that some people
get bored, and need to put down others to make themselves feel good. While
I have no problems with anyone on here, if anyone does, and they start petty
threads where they don't belong, isn't that person sinking to the level of
the person they are putting down? I feel like I'm back in high school.

Shame on all of you...

Katie

Old June 30th 03, 07:52 PM
Screachy Preachy

Van Bagnol wrote:

[...]

Yeah, but you gotta admit, *some* of it *is* funny.
But, indeed, and more to your point, essentially unproductive.
For me, this stuff is more like a food jag--ice cream, potato chips, or
whatever. Hopefully it's over!!
----------------------
Kristofer Hogg, ms, rd
HoloBarre Rehab/Fitness/Stretching Systems, Yonkers, NY
to email: Remove the numeric value of pi in my address
Old June 30th 03, 09:42 PM
Screachy Preachy

Default Hogg waxes philosophical [was: Where's Garrison??

Van Bagnol wrote:

[...]

Oh... "One more thing." ? !

Despite a fair amount of repetition and recycled/re-applied
concepts here (but still interesting re-applications, IMO), the majority
of the people seem to not really grok--or appreciate--or care
about!--the info and analysis here... unfortunately. Eg, try telling
someone they just wasted their money on an HRM--good grief, what grief!
Sometimes people's very resistance to analysis sends the thread
spiraling downward--they bristle, I bristle, we all bristle.

The refusal of the majority of people to grok *basic concepts*
in exercise and health is quite in keeping with the stats of our social
hierarchy--10% of the people possess 90% of the wealth, because, in a
phrase, the rabble *insists* on remaining the rabble--even in
CyberSpace. With a little help from the very artful media manipulators.

Ergo, patriarch Carlton Sheets, the frantic Tony Little, the
oh-so greeezy Don Lapre ("one tiny little classified ad...."; who, I
think, is finally GONE, now that he has identical competition), the
reptilian Michael Thurmond (eeeeeaaaat moooooooorrrrrre.......
EK-seerrr-ciiiiiiise leeeeeessssssssssss), BowFlex's Randi (did someone
use the words Fag Bait?? WOW!!!!), and the whole panoply of
fitness/financial hustlers, fleece and get rich off an apparently very
willing American Pubic(tm).
I might could stand Suzy Orman, if I could stomach a yuppie blond
prancing all over a stage in her Success Suit. And someone, please,
tell me, From what planet does Louis Ruykheiser (sp?) hail?? Talk about
a Channel 13 hustle!! Good Grief!! Bill O'Reilly, oh, our Savior, but
alas, but another Cable Bitch, with no real solutions.
Gary Null, Character Disordered Personality Extreeordinaire,
nevertheless makes more than occasional penetrating analyses, and
nevertheless has made a stab at a solution, unrealistic as it is, but
still noble:
Stop watching/listening to ALL TV/Radio--including his shows
(his words!). ie, detoxify your brain, along with your body. Sort of
like ignoring Garrison and BillR.
And, the Jane Brody's don't help much either: She, like
Garrison and the cretins on MFW, basically *recites* abstracts, with a
little more verbiage attached, in better syntax, with pretty NYT
graphics. No real analysis; no peg on which to hang even a drooping
beret; no nitty-gritty application. Certainly no triangulation. In a
word, no closure.

Hogg's solution?
For an individual, it's basically to cultivate reading
comprehension--and learn yer fundamental principles. And apply
them--correctly, hopefully. Period.
For society, there is none. We are in the peculiar position of
behaving statistically like yeast, but with higher comprehension of the
futu So we can actually anticipate our own poisoning, but being
unable--or unwilling!--to to anything about it, socially, culturally,
environmentally. (Wine is yeast ****, and they die en masse in their own
excretion--the end of fermentation--and *we* drink it!) Oh, and we can
jump through more hoops than yeast can, and we have our Media.
The irony is: Those who have evolved themselves beyond the yeast
level shall *still* die in global yeast ****, because of the statistical
overwhelmingness of yeast rabble.
Raw deal. Hopefully St. Peter will discern yeasts from
non-yeasts.

Remember Cold Fusion.
Remember how Watson intercepted the X-ray data headed for Linus
Pauling, who was HOURS away from solving the DNA puzzle...
No need to remember Enron et al, cuz absolutely nothing has
changed. Few more sacrificial lambs is all.
The wierd thing about successful infomercials: The print at the
bottom of the screen TELLS YOU--TELLS YOU--EXPLICITLY TELLS YOU that the
results just testified to are ***not typical***. I would add that even
those testimonied results are flat-out lies.

Hogg's Tips of the Week:

Buy stock in Vaseline, cuz we are *all* going to need it,
perhaps a 1 lb jar *per week*, if not more.
For those on a budget: generic petroleum jelly is just as good,
far cheaper. Tip in a little Vits A,E, to help the healing process.

UUhhh, oh please fergodsakes, at least be gentle...
----------------------
Old July 1st 03, 04:29 AM

So the end is near? Bring out your dead? Surely you can do better than
that. There have been naysayers like you since the beggining of
recorded history. The ancient Greeks (over 2500 years ago) looked back
at their "Golden Age" and sighed. But somehow society marches on and
survives. And guess what: we live longer and easier now than ever. Not
bad for a bunch of idiots. Take your solace in iron and steel. Better
yourself and set the tone for an ever better tomorrow. And that's all
I have to say about that.

Old July 1st 03, 05:31 PM
Screachy Preachy

wrote:

So the end is near? Bring out your dead? Surely you can do better than
that. There have been naysayers like you since the beggining of
recorded history. The ancient Greeks (over 2500 years ago) looked back
at their "Golden Age" and sighed. But somehow society marches on and
survives. And guess what: we live longer and easier now than ever. Not
bad for a bunch of idiots. Take your solace in iron and steel. Better
yourself and set the tone for an ever better tomorrow. And that's all
I have to say about that.

This is an OT thread that could go on forever! But it beats
repartee w/ Garrison et al.

Solace in iron/steel? Fine, while supplies last! My future is in
fact pegged to stainless steel; and aluminum, brass... and my
latest/greatest, nickel silver extrusions. But...

Two points:
the end:
Drive around on NYC highways. 60 mph--roads clear for as far as
you can see.
Then....
WHAM! Traffic jam. No warning; so gradual slowdown!!! 1010
WINS' traffic reports absolutely useless; And there you are, for the
next hour--at least.
Point: like traffic jams, chemical titrations, etc., the end comes
precipitously! Fact. No warning. Now, there *could* be warnings, but I
suspect that the urban planners and their rich lobbyists rather *enjoy*
seeing you'n'me stuck in traffic. It affirms their career success.

reprieves:
History/mudda erf has granted us one gigantic reprieve:
Oil et al.
Without oil, life would likely be largely over, or severely
hobbled, because nary a tree would be left standing. 95% of Haiti's
forestation was gone before oil hit the island. Ditto other countries,
including England.
This has allowed us to deplete our *other* resources more in
step. Spundits differ, but there is some consensus that we have about 50
years of oil left. The only other reprieve we *might* be granted is
fusion, and then that will just allow other resources to become scarcer.
Copper is already so rare the building industry had to switch to
aluminum, fer chrissakes, before buildings with aluminum wiring started
burning down. Pennies are copper-plated zinc.
Etc.
Oil saved what was left of our forests at that time. McD's,
however, will likely finish the job of de-forestation. Tough
work--somebody's gotta do it.

Self-improvement?
All for it, depending on how you define it.
How'bout a tie-in to fitness (this is MFM)?
Here in the oh-so affluent Westchester County,
self-improvement--or the general notion of success--is generally defined
as making enough money so's you can under-pay a Mexican (recruited from
the local highway pickup spot) to do the *real* work on the grounds,
whilst you, Westchester homeowner, drive off to the gym in yer hyooge
4x4 to use one of the spas semi-useless treadmills/steppers/whatever,
diddle around in the pool, and finish in the sauna.
In reality, if said Westchester homeowner would goddamm PAY the
Mexican, he would actually be doing the Mexican a favor, given the
hands-down fitness superiority of manual labor to silly-assed machines
in ""health spas"".
Set the tone? Let's see--I think that tone is: Get mine
first???

Yeah, life IS better than ever, assuming you haven't been
clitoridectomized with a cokebottle shard. And as we say in NYC, Flush
Twice, it's a long way to New Jersey.
The powers-that-be don't care about vanishing resources, because
it is not they who will suffer. You will.
And tune in to 1010 WINS--so's you can avoid those traffic jams.

And, speaking of DoomsDay predictions, what'reyoo gonna do when
your daughter, after viewing Snoop Dogg's Girl's Gone Wild, decides that
*she too* must have the privilege of blowing d'Snoop. What if you saw
your daughter on Girls Gone Wild? Yeah, college is rewarding, eh?

All this is, in fact, part and parcel of the **** fitness
infomercials I bitch about all the time. A kind of cultured/nurtured
oblivion, even you do belong to Mensa. Just pick your part of the
elephant.
----------------------
Old July 2nd 03, 01:06 PM
Van Bagnol

In article ,
Screachy Preachy wrote:

Reason, after all, only goes so far. Do you really think more than a
handful of people will plow through my Human Watts or Unified Formula
thingies? Or care??

Basically, the problem with your posts is that the low signal-to-noise
ratio in the writing makes them less worth reading. Reason can go quite
a long way, as has been demonstrated in other NGs, but you continue to
instersperse what could have been reasoned responses with off-topic
glibness that's more befitting to misc.narcissus than to misc.fitness;
rational discussions about human wattage and protein utilization have
successfully flourished in other NGs such as rec.bicycles.* and
rec.running.* without their participants treating the threads like their
own personal blog entries.

Basically, Garrison and Cardone can dish it out, but they can't
take it. [...]

Neither can you, from the way you react to their posts, but at least
their posts are shorter.

Since they have already proven themselves to be rude bullies, I
consider them fair game to hunt for as long as they pollute serious
newsgroups.

But newsgroups are not hunting grounds, and especially not personal
ones. If you wish to stalk the wild Cardone I suggest you guys take it
to e-mail, where you can group-reply to each other's petty attacks to
your hearts' content. Reserve misc.fitness.* for on-topic discourse,
thereby sparing its readers the trouble of performing a triple-plonk.

Van

--
Van Bagnol / v a n at wco dot com / c r l at bagnol dot com
....enjoys - Theatre / Windsurfing / Skydiving / Mountain Biking
Old July 6th 03, 11:28 PM
Screachy Preachy

Van Bagnol wrote:

In article ,
Screachy Preachy wrote:

[...]

Oh please...
S/N ratio: you do realize it's signal *divided by* noise, right?
Any questions on my protein formula, wattage post?
----------------------
Old July 7th 03, 09:37 AM
Katie

"Screachy Preachy" wrote in message
Van Bagnol wrote:

In article ,
Screachy Preachy wrote:

[...]

I must say, I agree with Van Bagnol...and with Preachy's first response to
my post, in that this is unproductive. However, then he seems to go on with
the rest of them. I will stop now, as I am not trying to criticize, only to
understand. Obviously a lot of time and effort goes into some of these
posts, and for what? To make oneself look good in front of people who will
never meet you? I suppose I just don't understand. Oh well...

Katie

Old July 7th 03, 10:36 AM
Screachy Preachy

Katie wrote:

"Screachy Preachy" wrote in message
Van Bagnol wrote:

In article ,
Screachy Preachy wrote:

[...]

It's gotta be a testosterone thing...
But you are absolutely right. Garrison is dismissible, good for
pot shots, and as a benchmark for entitled obliviousness.
But I don't quite understand how ostensibly intelligent people
like VB miss the forest for the trees--and while critical (which is
quite OK), themselves don't really discuss the issues, but rather
hand-wave--which is not OK, didactically speaking.
Low S/N ratio?? Give me a break...
But ahma try to do better...
Catch the new Total Gym thread. Cardone, about as useless as
Garrison but not nearly as offensive, listed some very interesting sites
which are good for a wealth of... dare I say it here... analysis.