Fairly OT...Boxing vs Martial Arts

Old September 5th 03, 12:35 PM
Carl Collins

Default Fairly OT...Boxing vs Martial Arts

-- What would be the best for exercising?

Boxing or Martial Arts

I know some of us would think this is a stupid question cuz boxing would be
our 1st choice but I have noticed that martial artisits are all toned etc...
Do martial artists do exercises around their arts or does it come with it...
Im currently doing boxing but would like to progress to an art.
Carl Collins
MBA Administrator

Old September 5th 03, 02:38 PM
k957

"Carl Collins" wrote in message

-- What would be the best for exercising?

rec.martial-arts FAQ
http://www-2.cs.cmu.edu/~mcweigel/rmafaq/rmafaq1.html

all of them, none of them.
depends on the school/instructor/curriculum.

Boxing or Martial Arts

I know some of us would think this is a stupid question cuz boxing would

be
our 1st choice but I have noticed that martial artisits are all toned

etc...

sounds like baiting here - if boxing is number 1, why switch?

Do martial artists do exercises around their arts or does it come with

it...

within the context of karate:
many schools incorporate cardio and strength aspects into their curriculums.
Typically the focus on strength is more about 'coordinated strength' - ie.
more specific to the particular activies your doing than limit strength.
The cardio is usually stressed pretty hard - usu. resembling interval
training more than endurance-sport.

I think this is great for someone just getting into the art, or if you have
some sense of self control:
sob_story
Basically, the last karate school I used to train at was 'open' 24/7 (I had
a key) - so I was in there about 6 days a week, going hard as often as
possible.
So that made me 'tough' - but also made me broken (overtrained).
no good.

What's helped for me is to think of the martial arts classes (karate, muay
thai) as skill development, and only work as hard as is needed to make the
techniques match whatever ideal reigns in the particular art. Focusing on
weights and cardio outside of the formal classes has made this easier to do.
I still go 'hard' sometimes, but try to listen to my body.

/sob_story

Im currently doing boxing but would like to progress to an art.

why?
what are you hoping to achieve in the martial arts?

Cheers,
Enrique

--
-- Spam Sink

Old September 5th 03, 02:52 PM
Olaf

Carl Collins wrote:

-- What would be the best for exercising?

Boxing or Martial Arts

I know some of us would think this is a stupid question cuz boxing would be
our 1st choice but I have noticed that martial artisits are all toned etc...
Do martial artists do exercises around their arts or does it come with it...
Im currently doing boxing but would like to progress to an art.
Carl Collins
MBA Administrator

Depends on what you mean by martial arts. Wrestling and judo (and any
other grappling art) require extreme condition because you're working
against resistance the whole time. Don't take my word for it, go to a
grappling club of some kind and try to wrestle for fifteen minutes.
Most karate clubs on the other hand don't push you as hard as boxing
does, although Mua Thai and kickboxing do.

-Olaf

Old September 5th 03, 03:04 PM
Carl Collins

"k957" wrote in message

[...]

Technique,speed and more control of my body instead of just hands...

Cheers,
Enrique

--
-- Spam Sink

Old September 5th 03, 03:54 PM
Carl Collins

Where could I find a Btazilian Ju Jitsu class in the uk?
Im in Staffordshire in the North West England

--
Carl Collins
MBA Administrator

tel: 01782 584367

fax: 01782 584277
"Darryl" wrote in message
-- What would be the best for exercising?

Boxing or Martial Arts

I know some of us would think this is a stupid question cuz boxing

would be
our 1st choice but I have noticed that martial artisits are all toned

etc...
Do martial artists do exercises around their arts or does it come with

it...
Im currently doing boxing but would like to progress to an art.

There's nothing wrong with sweet science.

Depends on what you mean by martial arts. Wrestling and judo (and any
other grappling art) require extreme condition because you're working
against resistance the whole time. Don't take my word for it, go to a
grappling club of some kind and try to wrestle for fifteen minutes.
Most karate clubs on the other hand don't push you as hard as boxing
does, although Mua Thai and kickboxing do.

In my experience, grappling (specifically BJJ) has been the most
intense MA workout but very comparable to kickboxing/Muay Thai--it all
depends on what you put into it. Everything else equal, other
striking arts that I've been in don't measure up.

Then consider--do you want to spar or not? I left kickboxing after a
few years to avoid the inevitable headshots (hey, I was good, but not
THAT good . Look up dementia pugilistica at google.

With grappling, all I worry about is my cauliflower ears and
blood-flow to the brain.

In fact, I'm off to look for a Tai Chi class right now.

;-)

Try Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu. All other martial artists will bow to you.

Old September 5th 03, 04:11 PM
Irish Golf Lad

"Carl Collins" wrote in message

-- What would be the best for exercising?

Boxing or Martial Arts

I know some of us would think this is a stupid question cuz boxing would

be
our 1st choice but I have noticed that martial artisits are all toned

etc...
Do martial artists do exercises around their arts or does it come with

it...
Im currently doing boxing but would like to progress to an art.
Carl Collins
MBA Administrator

Boxing *is* a martial art and is very effective for fitness and self
defense. When you say that you are currently "doing boxing" do you mean you
are actually sparring against opponents or using a boxing type workout a few
times a week.

This is something I know a little about. I have been involved some form of
martial arts since I was a kid. I am a 1st Dan Black belt in Tae Kwon Do,
and I also carry rank in Jujitsu and Kyokoshinkai Karate. I am a former
Marine and a former member of the U.S. Army Special Forces and have placed
first in several Olympic style TKD open championships in both sparring and
forms.

Regardless of what you are actually doing now, my suggestion to you would be
to incorporate some of the more effective kicks from Muay Thai kick boxing
into your workouts. Muay Thai kick boxing utilizes only the most effective
strikes and builds a system around them. Using a combination of kicks and
punches on a heavy bag for several 3 minute rounds with a 1 minute rest in
between, is a very effective workout. I use this workout several times a
week in addition to a weight training program. Various Kata's or Forms can
also be an effective workout for your mind and spirit. An almost moving
meditation that I find helps my mental conditioning.

A word on Jujitsu... I think any martial artist needs to know how to
grapple effectively. Traditional Jujitsu is one of the most proven systems.
In our Jujitsu classes we would always end each class with free style
randori. We would start back to back on our knees. Anything goes except
punching, gouging, biting and kicking ;-). Sensei would start us and we
would go until one of us tapped out. That kind of randori is a real work
out and really gets the competitive spirit flowing.

If you will look at the U.S. military "Close Combatives" manual the
instruction is almost entirely based upon Jujitsu, Boxing and Kick Boxing.
All very effective styles. I don't think some martial arts are a
"progression" from boxing. Some of the traditional Karate and Tae Kwon Do
are more fluff and sport than real martial art. Boxing in a traditional gym
is a *real* martial art and effective for both self defense and fitness. As
I stated earlier, if I were you I would look into cross training in Kick
boxing and grappling to round things out.

--
Regards,

Irish Golf Lad

"Truth was in our hearts and strength in our arms, and what we said, that we
fulfilled."
[Keelta of the Fianna]

Old September 5th 03, 08:47 PM
k957

Darryl wrote in message . ..
[...]

And physics beats chemistry in the 100 yard crawl.
applause /

Too bad I bet on biology.

Then consider--do you want to spar or not? I left kickboxing after a
few years to avoid the inevitable headshots (hey, I was good, but not
THAT good . Look up dementia pugilistica at google.

If you find a good school - you shouldn't HAVE to be 'THAT' good - the
more experienced folks should bring you up to speed, not pound you
down.
Try sparring sometime and see how it compares w/the grappling for you.

I've done quite a bit (tm) of both and the grappling definitely tires
me out quicker - due to the nearly constant application of strength.

OTOH, taking a couple liver shots really brings your energy down a
notch as well.

With grappling, all I worry about is my cauliflower ears and
blood-flow to the brain.

In fact, I'm off to look for a Tai Chi class right now.

;-)

Try Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu. All other martial artists will bow to you.

maybe within the context of UFC, using old-school rules.

Enr(insane in the membrane?)que
Old September 6th 03, 05:20 AM
RedGuru

Darryl wrote in
:

Try Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu. All other martial artists will bow to you.

i prefer Gribble, Dale Dojo

Prepare to be destroyed by the deadliest of all martial arts -- monkey-
style!

- RedGuru