Aerobic efficiency

Old July 4th 03, 04:25 AM
Bill Roberto

Default Aerobic efficiency

I have been a physical fitness nut my whole life. I've done gymnastics,
boxing, racquetball, weightlifting, running, surfing, swimming,
skateboarding, martial arts at some time in my life. Maybe not all at once,
but a few years of this and a few years of that and I am 43 and bought a
house with a pool. 35' x 13' x 3.5,10. I started running every day about a
year ago. Every morning I'll do something upper body, whether it is push
ups, pull ups, and grippers, or dumbbell exercises for delts, biceps, and
triceps, or throw punches with 3 lb dumbbells. Then run 3 miles. I time the
runs and I've gone from 30 minutes down to 22.08 for a P.R. and an average
of 23:00 to 23:30 per run. Now that it is summer I have added 30 minutes of
swimming in the afternoon. When I was younger I used to be able to do a
there, back, and there on one breath of air. I tried doing it my pool and I
could barely do a there. I started doing an exercise to increase my aerobic
efficiency so I could go longer on one breath of air. For thirty minutes
I'll take say 5 breaths of air, swim under water the length of the pool,
take 5 breaths of air and repeat this process over and over. If I am sucking
wind, I'll pause for 6 or 7 breaths, or if I feel the swim was too easy I'll
reduce the number of breaths until it becomes difficult again. I am also
adding holding my breath sessions during my upper body routine and run. I
have gone from 30 seconds to a minute and closing in on a minute and a half.
Is any one else doing something like this? I have been doing this routine
for about 3 weeks and my running time averages keep going down. And I just
keep feeling better all the time. I wonder if I've stumbled on something
elite athletes might do?

Old July 4th 03, 07:15 PM
Steve Freides

Bill Roberto wrote:

[...]

All other things being equal, there is no reason to hold your breath for
longer than you need. Hypoxic training (swimming without breathing) is
usually done, in very small doses, as part of competitive swimming
programs but some even question the wisdom of that. I certainly
wouldn't be doing anything like this in a pool without a lifeguard or at
least another adult watching. People regularly pass out in the water
from these kinds of drills and, if there's no one there to rescue you,
you could easily drown.

Most of the progress you make in a drill like this comes from being more
efficient with your effort and also more relaxed, not increasing your
lung or aerobic capacity. I do this drill once in a while, which for me
means swimming the length of a 25 yard pool underwater from an in-water
start, just to work on my efficiency and relaxation, but two or three
attempts once or twice a week is more than enough, IMHO.

-S-
http://www.kbnj.com

aerobic v anaerobic Van Bagnol Aerobic 4 February 5th 06 07:49 AM
Length of an Aerobic session BHE Aerobic 2 March 8th 04 11:13 AM
Hardgainer question Martin Thompson Weights 109 October 7th 03 06:20 PM
Aerobic Instructor Business Plan http://www.businessplanning-4-you.com Aerobic 0 July 12th 03 01:36 PM