Anyone Keeping a log?

Old December 10th 07, 05:19 AM posted to misc.fitness.weights
Burr

Default Anyone Keeping a log?

The last thing I do while I'm cooling down is write a little something about
the great things I did that day!

I also keep a workout sheet with me in the gym so I do the same thing
everyday. I may not have the best memory but I have always keep a list in my
hand.

I keep a list of BP, Sugar and notes on my workout or ride in my computer
also.

Burr

Old December 10th 07, 07:00 AM posted to misc.fitness.weights
Curt

On Dec 9, 11:19 pm, "Burr" wrote:
The last thing I do while I'm cooling down is write a little something about
the great things I did that day!

I also keep a workout sheet with me in the gym so I do the same thing
everyday. I may not have the best memory but I have always keep a list in my
hand.

I keep a list of BP, Sugar and notes on my workout or ride in my computer
also.

Burr

I keep a pen and paper log of every workout, every set, every rep,
times between sets often, time on treadmill plus the speed, incline,
and then distance completed. The fitness game is about progression for
me and so to mark the progress and to set new goals requires that
training log for me.

And I maintain a lifting journal on my BodySpace profile. They also
have a doohickey they call a Workout Tracker that is some nice
software and track personal bests in various lifts you've completed.
See: http://bodyspace.bodybuilding.com/

Checked my BP and it was 142/81. Weird. I'm going to donate blood and
see what they say my BP is. BAH! I'm not tracking sugar but I do track
protein grams and kcals consumed.

Journals are essential.

--
Curt
Old December 10th 07, 07:34 AM posted to misc.fitness.weights
[email protected]

"Burr" wrote in
:

The last thing I do while I'm cooling down is write a little something
about the great things I did that day!

I also keep a workout sheet with me in the gym so I do the same thing
everyday. I may not have the best memory but I have always keep a list
in my hand.

I keep a list of BP, Sugar and notes on my workout or ride in my
computer also.

Burr

I have a log in a jar of formaldehyde on my desk. It's a floater with nuts
in it, and it's been floating since 1968. It kinda looks like Richard
Nixon...
Old December 10th 07, 02:50 PM posted to misc.fitness.weights
Tom Anderson

On Sun, 9 Dec 2007, Curt wrote:

On Dec 9, 11:19 pm, "Burr" wrote:

I also keep a workout sheet with me in the gym so I do the same thing
everyday. I may not have the best memory but I have always keep a list
in my hand.

I keep a pen and paper log of every workout, every set, every rep, times
between sets often, time on treadmill plus the speed, incline, and then
distance completed. The fitness game is about progression for me and so
to mark the progress and to set new goals requires that training log for
me.

Same here. I have a line for each exercise saying what it is, weight used,
reps completed for each set (with a notation for indicating if some of
them were in poor form), and time i finished, and sometimes notes on how
it went ("poor ROM", "grip went", "shoulder hurts"). really helps me focus
on making constant progress. whether it actually helps me make constat
progress, i don't know!

tom

--
Batman always wins
Old December 10th 07, 03:19 PM posted to misc.fitness.weights
Hobbes

In article
,
Curt wrote:

On Dec 9, 11:19 pm, "Burr" wrote:
[...]

I've tried, but I consider it pretty much a waste of time. I have an
idea what I've lifted for the day and over time get a feel for what
works and what doesn't. Since I compete, the proof of the training is
the results at the competition, which is all I really record.

--
Keith
Old December 10th 07, 05:06 PM posted to misc.fitness.weights
Steve Freides

"Burr" wrote in message
The last thing I do while I'm cooling down is write a little something
about the great things I did that day!

I also keep a workout sheet with me in the gym so I do the same thing
everyday. I may not have the best memory but I have always keep a list
in my hand.

I keep a list of BP, Sugar and notes on my workout or ride in my
computer also.

Burr

Yes. A link to the online copy is on the main page of my web site, URL
below. I keep it at home, and every few days update the online copy.
When I'm on the road, I use the online copy then update the home copy
when I get back. I don't just record the lifts but also try to record
notes on what worked especially well or not so that I can go back and
try to learn something. I do use the log when planning future workouts;
often I'll look over the last few days or last few weeks before starting
the day's lifting.

-S-
http://www.kbnj.com

Old December 10th 07, 06:20 PM posted to misc.fitness.weights
Prisoner at War

On Dec 9, 11:19 pm, "Burr" wrote:
The last thing I do while I'm cooling down is write a little something about
the great things I did that day!

If anything, MFW is my "log"....

I also keep a workout sheet with me in the gym so I do the same thing
everyday. I may not have the best memory but I have always keep a list in my
hand.

I used to see this a lot back in the '90s. Not so much now -- or
maybe that's mostly a college-gym phenomenon? Varsity athletes under
orders from coach or something...but these days, except for newbies,
maybe, I don't see anyone else walking around with a clipboard and
stopwatch....

I keep a list of BP, Sugar and notes on my workout or ride in my computer
also.

I give up on bicycle odometers. I had one just fall out on me when I
was zipping down Perkins Drive on Bear Mountain in New York (~7% grade
hill, takes like thirty-five minutes to climb up and eight to fly
down), and now the replacement has simply failed. Maybe it needs a
new battery, but I've totally lost my cycling mileage on both bikes!
Aw, screw it.

Burr

Sounds like your real hobby is book-keeping! Well, I guess, if it
motivates you....
Old December 11th 07, 12:04 AM posted to misc.fitness.weights
Burr

"Prisoner at War" wrote in message
On Dec 9, 11:19 pm, "Burr" wrote:
[...]

You need to look at

www.CycliStats.com

Burr

Old December 11th 07, 01:31 AM posted to misc.fitness.weights
Curt

On Dec 10, 8:50 am, Tom Anderson wrote:
On Sun, 9 Dec 2007, Curt wrote:
On Dec 9, 11:19 pm, "Burr" wrote:

I also keep a workout sheet with me in the gym so I do the same thing
everyday. I may not have the best memory but I have always keep a list
in my hand.

I keep a pen and paper log of every workout, every set, every rep, times
between sets often, time on treadmill plus the speed, incline, and then
distance completed. The fitness game is about progression for me and so
to mark the progress and to set new goals requires that training log for
me.

Same here. I have a line for each exercise saying what it is, weight used,
reps completed for each set (with a notation for indicating if some of
them were in poor form), and time i finished, and sometimes notes on how
it went ("poor ROM", "grip went", "shoulder hurts"). really helps me focus
on making constant progress. whether it actually helps me make constant
progress, i don't know!

I forgot poor form. I've written that down, too. "Sloppy." or "Too
heavy." And just recently the db curls were low in reps not because of
a lack of strength but my wrists or grip gave out. (Yeah, those pink
vinyl-cover one pounders are a b!tch.)

Hey, I added an "n" to your 'constat' above. Hope you don't mind. And,
yes, although I don't know either, I'd say it's GOT to help! Gotta
plan on what reps to set as your next goal and/or what weights to
begin with. A journal is essential... for me. No question. And, imo,
it definitely helps. A food journal helps, too. Again, "two cents"
caveat applies, ymmv, etc. I've swapped from a cutting routine to a
bulking routine. Have been hitting - minimum - 200g protein and 3000
kcals daily.

--
Curt
Old December 11th 07, 01:35 AM posted to misc.fitness.weights
Curt

On Dec 10, 9:19 am, Hobbes wrote:

re keeping a journal

I've tried, but I consider it pretty much a waste of time. I have an
idea what I've lifted for the day and over time get a feel for what
works and what doesn't. Since I compete, the proof of the training is
the results at the competition, which is all I really record.

B-b-b-but don't you... what's the word or phrase? Cycle? Not drugs,
but a system of lifting, percentages of max, etc.?

Don't make me hate you. ;o)

Hobbes: "Hi, I'm Keith."

Ginormously Powerful People Anonymous group: "Hi Keith!"

Hobbes: "I touch weights and my strength triples. I have not set
routine and I don't keep a record. Heck, I don't even count reps."

GPPA group: "Thanks for sharing!"

Grrr!

--
Curt