Running shoes

Old October 7th 10, 02:15 PM posted to rec.running
Michelle

Default Running shoes

There is a very extensive list of shoes with ratings in the article.

-- Michelle

http://www.therunningclinic.ca/en/recommended-shoes/

Recommended Shoes - The Running Clinic

A perfect shoe is one that should protect the skin from lacerations and
cold, while minimizing the interface*between the foot and the ground. The
better the shoe is at replicating a bare foot situation, the greater
its*neurophysiological response: an essential protective mechanism in the
human body. In other words, the less*the shoe interferes with the foot's
natural mechanism, the more the foot will solidify and the greater it
will*perform to attenuate the forces of impact brought on by racing
dynamics. Moreover, the majority of stability*and absorption technology are
redundant; they are without scientific basis and are especially ineffective
in*reducing the impact on the skeleton, natural pronation and the incidence
of injuries!

It is essential when changing your shoes that you do it very gradually in
order to aid the mechanical change*and the requirements on the muscles of
the foot and calf to adapt progressively. Moving towards a shoe
less*absorbent and more delicate can be done in two simple steps. First,
the runner should buy a*light trainer*shoe*and then a performance running
shoe (racer).

The three main qualities of running shoes a

€ Dynamism
(Do the absorbent qualities of the shoe create a loss of energy and
stability?)

€ Flexibility
(Does the stiffness of the shoe place additional restraint on the foot¹s
natural motion?)

€ Lightness
(Do the weight and size of the shoe interfere with the proprioceptive
qualities of the foot?)

Discover what*The Running Clinic*thinks about each shoe by comparing the
(+) or (-) elements.

€ 9 + :*Perfect*/*7 + :*Excellent*/*5 + :*Very Good*/*3 + :*Good /*3 -
:*Be careful!*/*5 - :*Be cautious!!*/*7 - :*To*avoid!!!*/*9 -
:*Dangerous!!!!

--
26.2 Because I can
Old October 7th 10, 03:50 PM posted to rec.running
Steve Freides[_2_]

Michelle wrote:
[...]

Anyone care to recommend a running shoe for those of us with wide feet
that meets the "almost barefott" standard? I bought Vibram Five
Fingers, but they don't really fit me well, and I don't think it's the
solution for me. I have worn them a _lot_, really given them a try, but
I think I need something else.

Several of the shoes on the above-linked web site look promising but no
mention of widths. I usually knock around in Converse Allstars - they
run wide, and they're stretchy. In running shoes, I've almost always
worn New Balance EE width.

Thanks.

-S-

Old October 7th 10, 04:39 PM posted to rec.running
Michelle

In article ,
"Steve Freides" wrote:

Several of the shoes on the above-linked web site look promising but no
mention of widths. I usually knock around in Converse Allstars - they
run wide, and they're stretchy. In running shoes, I've almost always
worn New Balance EE width.

Of course, after all is said and done, the ultimate criterion is how they
do on your own feet.

--
26.2 Because I can
Old October 7th 10, 06:04 PM posted to rec.running
Steve Freides[_2_]

Michelle wrote:
In article ,
"Steve Freides" wrote:

Several of the shoes on the above-linked web site look promising but
no mention of widths. I usually knock around in Converse Allstars -
they run wide, and they're stretchy. In running shoes, I've almost
always worn New Balance EE width.

Of course, after all is said and done, the ultimate criterion is how
they do on your own feet.

Right, but it's very time consuming and expensive to try every shoe out
there, only to find out they're narrow. I know I do best in no shoe at
all, but the barefoot running I've done on asphalt has been hard on the
bottoms of my feet, and since the Five Fingers don't seem to work well
for me, I'm back to asking for recommendations for shoes. Many flats
run narrow, and the online site I found for the Feelmax Osma doesn't
mention width, nor does it have anything approach my size, which is a M7
or 7.5., Euro about 40.

So, recommendations appreciated.

-S-

Old October 7th 10, 11:24 PM posted to rec.running
Bart Mathias

On Thu, 7 Oct 2010 10:50:05 -0400
"Steve Freides" wrote:

[...]
Anyone care to recommend a running shoe for those of us with wide feet
that meets the "almost barefott" standard? I bought Vibram Five
Fingers, but they don't really fit me well, and I don't think it's the
solution for me. I have worn them a _lot_, really given them a try, but
I think I need something else.

Can't help you with that. I don't think mine (Nike 3.0s--7 points, only one "+"
for Dynamism) would work--I bought them on line because no one around here
sells them, but they are snug enough to be hard to put on.

I was sort of considering the Vibrams, but I can't imagine where one would get
socks for them.

--
Bart Mathias
Old October 8th 10, 12:42 AM posted to rec.running
Steve Freides[_2_]

Bart Mathias wrote:

I was sort of considering the Vibrams, but I can't imagine where one
would get socks for them.

Google

socks for vibram five fingers

and you'll see them.

-S-

Old October 8th 10, 04:15 AM posted to rec.running
Elflord

On 2010-10-07, Steve Freides wrote:

Anyone care to recommend a running shoe for those of us with wide feet
that meets the "almost barefott" standard? I bought Vibram Five
Fingers, but they don't really fit me well, and I don't think it's the
solution for me. I have worn them a _lot_, really given them a try, but
I think I need something else.

Several of the shoes on the above-linked web site look promising but no
mention of widths. I usually knock around in Converse Allstars - they
run wide, and they're stretchy. In running shoes, I've almost always
worn New Balance EE width.

Depends on what your expectations are for "almost barefoot", but I generally
found the Asics flats to be the most reasonable in terms of not having an
outrageously narrow or curvy last. I always had problems with the NB or Adidas
flats, they were just too narrow and the Brooks T4 had a really pronounced bend
that gave me problems.

You could try the Nike zoom waffle racer if you haven't already. It's not the
lightest shoe but it has a very low heel because it's built like a track spike.
You'll need to size up a bit (it runs small), but despite the "banana last", it
is glove like enough to fit almost any foot. You may be able to try it on in
for example Paragon sports or similar and the sticker price is attractive
enough that you won't feel buyers remorse if you pay the "brick and mortar
price" for a pair.

It may also be worth looking into whether Asics makes a similar shoe (e.g. a
spikeless version of their cross country spike), chances are it will run a
little wider than the Nike

Cheers,
--
Elflord
"RRings best troll" -- Mr Billie on rec.running
Old October 8th 10, 04:46 AM posted to rec.running
Michelle

In article ,
Bart Mathias wrote:

I was sort of considering the Vibrams, but I can't imagine where one
would get socks for them.

A friend who runs in them told me that most people who run in Vibrams don't
wear socks with them, but you can wear Injinji socks with them.
www.injinji.com

-- Michelle

--
26.2 Because I can
Old October 9th 10, 03:14 AM posted to rec.running
Bart Mathias

On Thu, 07 Oct 2010 20:46:56 -0700
Michelle wrote:

In article ,
Bart Mathias wrote:

I was sort of considering the Vibrams, but I can't imagine where one
would get socks for them.

A friend who runs in them told me that most people who run in Vibrams don't
wear socks with them, but you can wear Injinji socks with them.
www.injinji.com

Socklessness was actually my guess--I was intending to be slightly facetious (another one of my hobbies)--so I was a bit surprised when Steve Freides reminded me that I hadn't even thought it worth while to Google the matter.
--
Bart Mathias

How to change from regular running shoes to minimalist shoes such as Five Fingers Jos Bergervoet Running 0 October 16th 09 06:16 PM
Running shoes Indranil Dutta Aerobic 4 August 20th 06 09:41 PM
Running Shoes Victor Running 15 October 1st 05 04:13 AM
running shoes Zero Zero Running 6 April 26th 04 04:11 AM