GM Diet program

Old February 10th 05, 02:27 AM
Seth Breidbart

In article . com,
elzinator wrote:
David Cohen wrote:

Anonymous Hotmail posters are always morons.

Gee, I guess some absolutes are true.

Hey! You better retract that or I'll have to kill you the next time I'm
there and feed you to your dogs (after I stuff you with carrots).
And I'll sick the black ninja horses on you.

What part of "anonymous" don't you understand?

Seth
--
This is mfw, nobody wants to raise the quality of the
discourse. -- Lyle McDonald

Old February 10th 05, 06:56 PM
Martin Bakalorz

On Wed, 09 Feb 2005 21:17:40 GMT, "David Cohen"
wrote:

If I am 20 pounds overweight, am stable at that weight, and have 20 pounds
of fat liposuctioned off, and do not change my "lifestyle" in any way, it
won't "work"?

Anonymous Hotmail posters are always morons.

Nit pick
No it won't work,
At first you are at maintenance calories.
After the Lipo you have 20 lbs of fat less to support, so maintenance
calories are lower.
If you don't change your lifestyle in any way you will slowly
asymptotically regain to your former weight.
/nit pick

Just had to defend hotmail posters.

Martin

Old February 10th 05, 07:43 PM
The Gist

http://www.iimahd.ernet.in/~jajoo/gmdiet.html

I just came across this diet program. What do you guys think?

thanks

This is just the same old "cabbage soup" diet that as been around for a
long time. Every few years the attribution of its origin changes.
Sometimes it is a hospital, this time it is (somewhat oddly) General
Motors. I doubt very very much this has anything to do with GM.
Do a google search for "cabbage soup diet" and you'll get a lot of
reproductions of this in only slightly varying forms.
Is it effective? Well, probably, then again following the diet tricks of
italian supermodels is far from healthy. I mean, if you were told that
heavy tobacco use suppressed the appetite and stimulated your
metabolism(it does, actually) would you take up smoking?

Old February 10th 05, 08:18 PM
buck

First of all..... If people could just cut back or limit their intake
obviously they would lose weight. The problem is that most overweight
people, if not all, are having a psychological problem(s) which makes them
compulsive eaters. Sometimes starting a "new" diet will give them a mental
boost that they need to start losing weight. As they lose weight their
mental outlook gets better and this snowballs into a good amount of weight
lose. I am sure that most all diets, including this one, are not good over
the long term..... But, it may be the diet that triggers something in
certain people to take the plunge in losing weight. I would say that most
overweight people are at much more of a risk of health problems if they
don't lose the weight than if they get on a diet....so why not try a
temporary diet. Actually this diet does have some pretty good food groups
in it with the veggies and fruit. I would say that this diet is probably
better than most of the other wacko diets out there and could be beneficial
over the short run.
-just my $.02 of course.

oups.com...

Old February 10th 05, 10:35 PM
Mack McKinnon

wrote:

If I am 20 pounds overweight, am stable at that weight, and have 20 pounds
of fat liposuctioned off, and do not change my "lifestyle" in any way, it
won't "work"?

Anonymous Hotmail posters are always morons.

Nit pick
No it won't work,
At first you are at maintenance calories.
After the Lipo you have 20 lbs of fat less to support, so maintenance
calories are lower.
If you don't change your lifestyle in any way you will slowly
asymptotically regain to your former weight.

Not only would he gain the weight back (assuming no eating-habit changes)
but he would gain it back in different places, since some of his old fat
cell storage areas had been liposuctioned away. Depending on how much fat
was lipoed off, the new fat might show up in some pretty weird spots.

I once asked a plastic surgeon I knew if a woman could enlarge her breasts
by having fat lipoed away from all over her body except for her breasts and
then eat to gain weight again. He said, "Sure, in theory at least, that
would work."

mack
austin

Old February 10th 05, 10:47 PM
elzinator

wrote:

[...]

Assuming a male would have the fat removed from the abdominal area, fat
would then accumulate in other regions in line with a adroid pattern:
upper and lower back first, then other areas that may be more
associated with a gynoid pattern: arms and thighs/hips. Eventually,
some of the preadipocytes (the fat cell precurors) in the abdominal
area would then be recruited to become differentiated fat cells and the
ab fat would slowly reappear.

I once asked a plastic surgeon I knew if a woman could enlarge her

breasts
by having fat lipoed away from all over her body except for her

breasts and
then eat to gain weight again. He said, "Sure, in theory at least,

that
would work."

Sure, theoretically it would because the excess energy has to be stored
somewhere. And the liver

mack
austin

Austin, TX?

Old February 10th 05, 11:16 PM
elzinator

wrote:

If I am 20 pounds overweight, am stable at that weight, and have 20

pounds
of fat liposuctioned off, and do not change my "lifestyle" in any

way, it
won't "work"?

Anonymous Hotmail posters are always morons.

Nit pick
No it won't work,
At first you are at maintenance calories.
After the Lipo you have 20 lbs of fat less to support, so

maintenance
calories are lower.
If you don't change your lifestyle in any way you will slowly
asymptotically regain to your former weight.
/nit pick

Just had to defend hotmail posters.

[a] People don't "change lifestyles" because someone tells them to do
it. Immediate fat loss results can be a major motivation.

According to a survey presented at a seminar here, ~57% of patients
having liposuction had no weight gain 6 months post-surgery. However,
~54% of that population reported no weight changes at all. Of the ~43%
who did report weight gain 6 months post-surgery, 56% of that
population gained weight in the range of 5-10 lbs and 28% gained over
11 pounds. The small % that actually realized a weight loss through 6
months post-surgery is pathetically small.

No one can make any person do anything; it has to come from within.
Instant gratification by immdiate weight loss is only one motivation.
But it's short-term. Mostly only those with limited intelligence use
that as their only motivation. There are plenty of other derived
benefits from changing lifestlyes than immediate fatloss.

[b] A "lifestyle change" won't affect some things, like reduced

levels
of circulating leptin due to decreases in adipose mass, so "changing
your lifestyle" is not assured to be a permanent solution.

Nothing in this world is 'assured'. But the high probability of losing
weight and maintaining weight loss that accompanies changing your
lifestyle is a better bet than instant gratification of liposuction.
And decreased leptin is not the only result of weight loss and can
actually be manipulated to a certain extent so as to have less impact
on weight control.

Lifestyle change is a process whereby we make conscious and informed
decisions to take control of how our body interacts with the
environment. Some of us are forced to do that if we want to live a
healthy and fulfilling life. Others do so because they plainly feel
better about themselves and the world around them. The alternative is
to sit on your ass and give in to your base impulses or continue on a
road to ****sville.

Regardless, trade offs exist for every choice we make. We are not
puppets. Well some of us are but that's their choice, too. In nearly
all of the literature associated with health issues (mental and
physical), altering lifestyle to favorably mediate the response between
you, your body and the environment is more successful than all the
quick fixes. So if someone wants to sit on their ass or take the quick
fix, that is their choice, but don't bitch about it and make excuses.

Old February 11th 05, 01:26 AM
David Cohen

"Martin Bakalorz" wrote
"David Cohen" wrote:

If I am 20 pounds overweight, am stable at that weight, and have 20 pounds
of fat liposuctioned off, and do not change my "lifestyle" in any way, it
won't "work"?

Anonymous Hotmail posters are always morons.

Nit pick
No it won't work,
At first you are at maintenance calories.
After the Lipo you have 20 lbs of fat less to support, so maintenance
calories are lower.
If you don't change your lifestyle in any way you will slowly
asymptotically regain to your former weight.
/nit pick

I am the first to appreciate a good nit pick, so, I agree with you. However,
I would not consider a reduction in maintenance calories to reflect the
lower weight (200-300 calories) to constitute a "lifestyle change".

Just had to defend hotmail posters.

You are not an "anonymous" Hotmail poster.

In fact, we at the International Zionist Cabal have all your personal
information. BTW, the check you wrote to BDSMtoys.com is gonna' bounce, so
you might want to fix that

Old February 11th 05, 02:24 AM
elzinator

On Fri, 11 Feb 2005 01:26:18 GMT, David Cohen wrote:

"Martin Bakalorz" wrote
"David Cohen" wrote:

If I am 20 pounds overweight, am stable at that weight, and have 20 pounds
of fat liposuctioned off, and do not change my "lifestyle" in any way, it
won't "work"?

Anonymous Hotmail posters are always morons.

Nit pick
No it won't work,
At first you are at maintenance calories.
After the Lipo you have 20 lbs of fat less to support, so maintenance
calories are lower.
If you don't change your lifestyle in any way you will slowly
asymptotically regain to your former weight.
/nit pick

I am the first to appreciate a good nit pick, so, I agree with you. However,
I would not consider a reduction in maintenance calories to reflect the
lower weight (200-300 calories) to constitute a "lifestyle change".

I don't think that a reduction of fat (and 20 lbs is a hell of a lot)
will alter BMR that rapidly. So the assertion that maintenance
calories must be reduced to match the fat loss is not correct. Energy
balance must be a deficit if the person is to maintain the fat loss,
however.

Regardless, David, any long-term commitment to a reduction in daily
caloric intake requires a 'lifestyle change'; that person has to make
a conscious choice and commitment to that and/or associated choices.

If I told you that you had to drop 50 pounds in 4 months and keep it
off or you would die, what alterations in your life would you have to
make to reach that goal?

Reality is an illusion created by an intelligence deficiency.