Talking to other swimmers, I found

Old September 13th 09, 06:32 PM posted to rec.sport.swimming
Pat[_13_]

Default Talking to other swimmers, I found

that some of them think all goggles are exactly the same, that swimming
faster and harder can make up for poor technique, that resting at the end of
the length of the pool is a good way to build stamina, and that you can put
on your cap and goggles in the locker room instead of when you get into the
pool (and that if your goggles mark your skin, you need to get rid of them).
Also, I learned that the arms and legs do not have to be working together
when doing the breast stroke or the butterfly, and if you can hold your
breath the entire length of the 50 m pool, that is the way to swim the front
crawl.

I learn something new every day!

Pat in TX

Old September 17th 09, 05:46 PM posted to rec.sport.swimming
Pat[_13_]

MW Smith wrote:
On Sep 13, 6:32 pm, "Pat" wrote:
that some of them think all goggles are exactly the same, that
swimming faster and harder can make up for poor technique, that
resting at the end of the length of the pool is a good way to build
stamina, and that you can put on your cap and goggles in the locker
room instead of when you get into the pool (and that if your goggles
mark your skin, you need to get rid of them). Also, I learned that
the arms and legs do not have to be working together when doing the
breast stroke or the butterfly, and if you can hold your breath the
entire length of the 50 m pool, that is the way to swim the front
crawl.

I learn something new every day!

I suppose you are being facetious, but for some people all goggles are
the same in that none of them fit properly. And for some people they
are all the same in that they all fit ok.

I was being funny, but, really! When I talked to the two people, they both
expressed surprise that all goggles weren't made exactly alike! I told them
(one male and one female) about the way different goggles fit, and both of
them are on their way to academy sports to try several models.

Swimming faster and harder certainly can make up for poor technique
for people who have poor technique. You can go faster, despite poor
technique, if you put more effort into getting to the other end.

This particular guy was swimming with his head out of the water and his arms
straight out to either side. He could barely make it to the far wall before
he collapsed. He asked me why I could keep on swimming but he couldn't make
it any farther than that. As it turned out, he was thrown into a river as a
small child and has a fear of water (as well as a fear of the unknown
lurking under the surface). Yes, he could go faster, but he wasn't improving
and that was his goal. That's why he asked me about it. Until I talked to
him, he had never thought that maybe, just maybe, he was doing something
wrong.

What's wrong with putting on your cap and goggles in the locker room?

Dry hair absorbs the pool water much more so than wet hair. I have learned
to always wet my hair when I take the obligatory pre-swim shower. As far as
the goggles, they were fogged when she went into the much warmer pool area.

"Front crawl" is redundant.

Then why is there a stroke called the "back crawl"?

Pat in TX

Old October 14th 09, 06:25 AM
darrenalex darrenalex is offline
Junior Member

Hi..
That's the really good attitude regarding anything like in this post that i have learn something new everyday... just to good to read...
r4 revolution

Talking about walkers up front Elflord Running 5 December 6th 06 07:55 PM
Talking on the phone Nick Edwards Walking 0 December 29th 05 11:26 PM
Swim talking Josh Rudderson Swimming 3 February 8th 05 09:10 AM
while we are talking about foot problems Geoff Berrow Walking in the UK 17 December 25th 04 07:43 AM
Are you Talking to Me? 4precious Swimming 16 September 13th 03 12:41 AM